|
|
| Author |
Message |
| NickD |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 NickD World Chat Champion

Joined: 20 Aug 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 21:21 - 03 Oct 2004 Post subject: Learner riders I salute you. |
 |
|
Ok, it's confession time........Having had my license for 14 years, and now being well into my 30's I have for a long while considered learners to be a bit of a pain in the arse (it's easy to judge but eventually you will look at learners like this). Noisy, smelly, slow things, getting in the way all the time. Don't get me wrong, I've never been openly aggressive or nasty ('cos I'm not like that, and I remember that I was once a learner too), but I have for a long time been quietly irritated. This ends now..........
A friend of mine broke her wrist, preventing her from riding, so today I rode her RSX 100 from St Albans to Leicester, in drizzle, crap light and strong wind. I was amazed at how many 'small bike' experiences I had forgotten. The fact that other road users are completely oblivious to your presence, the mad vibration while flat out, the fact that other bikers ignore you (except the the guy on the old Bonneville, he must have psychically recognised a fellow Triumph rider). I was absolutely livid when a guy on a lowly GS 500 didn't nod back (bastard!). On top of this there is the rubbish brakes, and the lack of power, both of which require a level of 'planning ahead' that it's easy to forget on a big bike. And the experience of having to get a 'run up' for big hills, and then on coming to the top of the hill and having a gust of wind instantly take 10 mph off your speed.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that years down the line, when you don't have to struggle anymore it's easy to take power, brakes, reliability and respect for granted, I won't be doing this again. I now remember what you have to put up with, but I also remember why you put up with it. Because despite the 'culture shock' of having to ride a small bike again, and all the problems that it brings........... I still had a fucking ball.  ____________________ I was only doing what it said on my licence officer....
Tear along the dotted line! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| iCraig |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 iCraig World Chat Champion
Joined: 05 Jun 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| palmer |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 palmer Fiddled Kiddy

Joined: 21 Jul 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 21:28 - 03 Oct 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
had fun reading that mate
palmer |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Frost |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Frost World Chat Champion

Joined: 26 May 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 21:36 - 03 Oct 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
Learners do get kind of a raw deal off all other road users. but then thats really the incentive to do your test, go faster and get more respect from other road users.
Its not really an L plates issue though, as when i rode a 125 without L plates i still got treated like shit  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| NickD |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 NickD World Chat Champion

Joined: 20 Aug 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 21:39 - 03 Oct 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
I had no L plates on either, and while I know I'm never going to live this down, I had a numberplate that said '0 to bitch in 3 seconds'.  ____________________ I was only doing what it said on my licence officer....
Tear along the dotted line! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stryker |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stryker Brolly Dolly

Joined: 30 Aug 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 21:39 - 03 Oct 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
Its a shame, esp for learners. Not only do they have to ride a 125, but they have to bear the brand of a noobie, that little innocent "L" that makes the red mist descend on many a fully licensed driver  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Dom_ |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Dom_ Points Mean Prizes

Joined: 02 Aug 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Frost |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Frost World Chat Champion

Joined: 26 May 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| NickD |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 NickD World Chat Champion

Joined: 20 Aug 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Sacarius |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Sacarius Scooby Slapper

Joined: 03 Jun 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| cliff |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 cliff Doctor Sicknote

Joined: 11 Feb 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 22:28 - 03 Oct 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
That brought a tear to my eye.   ____________________ Sweet reggae music. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| JonB |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 JonB Afraid of Mileage

Joined: 03 Jun 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| mr jamez |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 mr jamez World Chat Champion

Joined: 04 Aug 2003 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 23:27 - 03 Oct 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
I have to go back to being a learner soon, didn't like it the first time round. Oh well at least I wont be as much of a newbie for the second L plate experiance  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| mr.z |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 mr.z World Chat Champion

Joined: 04 Feb 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 23:28 - 03 Oct 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
I still remember takeing my cg to be sold ( poor old thing ) after rideing the big DAS bikes, thinking, how in the holy **** did i not get killed on this thing?
L plates are a rubbish idea imo(allthough i realise they need to be there ), in a perfect world people would give them more space, be more patient and generally be prepared for any silly mistakes weve all made at some point...
The fact is (and this is true of cars as well) people act like complete twats, overtake when its completely not needed (like your doing the limit, theres a big cue in front and no gap for them to go into, but they will barge past and cut you up so they dont have to be behind a learner) tailgateing all the time, assumeing they have priority when you have it... the list goes on...
I make special effort to nod to learners (not scooters or chavs though, i used to nod for scooters but not one back) because i remeber being a learner and rideing every day for a year on that scarey little bike, and every nod i got reminded me how bloody good it is to be a biker  ____________________ >RidingSkills<->Tech Tips<->MyBikes< |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| mrchips |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 mrchips World Chat Champion
Joined: 05 Mar 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| roozor |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 roozor Scooby Slapper

Joined: 04 Aug 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 00:48 - 04 Oct 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
Maybe something you pick-up with a bit of experience. I am sure others will agree is that you eventually learn to MAKE other road users treat you with respect, no matter what you ride. I used to ride a pedal and go moped round the centre of Edinburgh and people were not given the oppertunity to cut me up...a few tried and quickly learned the error of their ways or lost their wing-mirrors.
It is maybe something subliminal to do with the way you ride, I don't know, but many of my mates from the university bike club (who have been riding longer than I have) keep small bikes for playing about on. We don't have nearly such a problem with arseholes on the road. Maybe it is just because I am a six-footer, a fact which is emphasised by the tiny wee bike I am riding or maybe you start to show a certain air of confidence after you have been riding bikes for a few years. I have happily used the fast lane to overtake HGVs on the M6 in heavy traffic on both a C90 and an H100. ____________________ “Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| pipnet11 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 pipnet11 Brolly Dolly

Joined: 17 Sep 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| zaknafien |
This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Flame). Unhide this post / all posts.
|
 zaknafien

Joined: 25 Mar 2002 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| mr.z |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 mr.z World Chat Champion

Joined: 04 Feb 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| pipnet11 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 pipnet11 Brolly Dolly

Joined: 17 Sep 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| dodsi |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 dodsi Dirty Carny

Joined: 06 Aug 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| scott_hood_88 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 scott_hood_88 Renault 5 Driver
Joined: 09 Sep 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 02:45 - 04 Oct 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
I would happily drive the buggers off the road if they tried that sort of shit with me, only time I will give ground when someone is trying to squeeze past is if they are presenting a hazard to someone else. Thing is, they have seen you and will be watching you, whilst most of them are prepared to drive like a plonker, they are not so prepared to actually run into you.
I once forced a double decker bus back into his own lane when he tried to muscle his way into the position I was occupying in a right hand filter lane on my moped (he looked me square in the eye in his mirror then started to pull accross on top of me). Took a bit of kicking the shit out of the side of the bus with my steelies on that occasion though  ____________________ “Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Sadie |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Sadie World Chat Champion

Joined: 14 Jul 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 15:10 - 04 Oct 2004 Post subject: |
 |
|
For the record regarding Nick's ride:
The RXS is mine, being lent to a mutual friend.
Nick apparently arrived in Rugby (journey's end) grinning like a cheshire cat.
He looked hilarious!
Tee hee!  ____________________ With experience comes age. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 22 years, 1 day ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|