Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Nearly there!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Bred2shred
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 15 Apr 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:57 - 01 May 2012    Post subject: Nearly there! Reply with quote

Booked my CBT yesterday for the 28th of May.

Also went to J&S yesterday and picked up a nice Frank thomas Raptor jacket and gloves.

Picked out my helmet that my dear old parents are going to get me for my birthday.

Picked up a nice Honda xr125L which just needs a tidy up and a service, of which i picked the plugs and oil up today for.

Now all i need are the days of the calender to tumble a bit quicker.

Here's some pics of the bike today after a wash. Little bit of rust on the fork stanchions and some on the rims but nothing that a bit of autosol wont fix.

https://i45.tinypic.com/tlhx.jpg

https://i47.tinypic.com/34t4sjq.jpg

https://i47.tinypic.com/rrjreq.jpg

https://i47.tinypic.com/2dch2k1.jpg

https://i46.tinypic.com/2lid6jm.jpg
____________________
I'm not as think as you drunk I am.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Derivative
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Aug 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:01 - 02 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does look pretty tidy.
Get yourself a big fuck off lock Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

recman
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:01 - 02 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get in there! Nice one. Got my CBT next week, going to J&S at the weekend to get kitted out. Cool
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bred2shred
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 15 Apr 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:12 - 02 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

EdgEy wrote:
Does look pretty tidy.
Get yourself a big fuck off lock Thumbs Up


Cheers, Almax website is bookmarked and i already have a ground anchor in the garage for my mountainbike, just need a chain to stretch to the honda.
____________________
I'm not as think as you drunk I am.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
radilist This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

MALKY
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 03 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:30 - 02 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome stuff - the next 26 days are gonna be the longest ever with that bike sitting their waiting for you Very Happy

ENJOY!

cheers

Malky
____________________
theory 16/02/12 cbt 18/02/12 mod 1 19/03/12 mod 2 13/04/12 Very Happy
kawasaki er6n
honda vfr 800 fi
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:23 - 02 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

26 days to wait? 100% guarantee you that the bike or you will get nicked before then. Razz
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bikertomm
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:08 - 02 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks tidy Thumbs Up

Good choice Wink


https://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o520/bikerrtomm/001-1.jpg

https://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o520/bikerrtomm/005.jpg

Any questions feel free to ask me Razz Thumbs Up
____________________
07' Honda Hornet now full powaah! My guide on performing an oil change!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bred2shred
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 15 Apr 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:37 - 02 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

rolond wrote:
Cheers, Almax website is bookmarked and i already have a ground anchor in the garage for my mountainbike.
https://www.filii.info/hh.gif


I take it you were wondering why I have a ground anchor for a push bike? Coz it's a bloody expensive one, cost nearly twice the price of the motorbike to build.

Cheers for all your comments guys, and not to worry, I'm a fettler and there plenty on the bike to keep my hands and mind busy. And I daresay I'll take you up on your mind offer tomm, nice bike btw.
____________________
I'm not as think as you drunk I am.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Alex_B
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 15 Jul 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:36 - 02 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike looks good...cept the pitting.

Is Autosol really going to do the job, is it really that good? (no offense Thumbs Up )

Only ask as I want to do my downpipes and they really are not as bad as your forks but I've never used the stuff!
____________________
My Lane Position is always AWESOME!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bred2shred
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 15 Apr 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:35 - 02 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while since i last used it Alex, about 20 years ago when i was helping my dad restore an old kwaka, but i remember getting good results. Only a fiver a tube so even if it's shite you've not lost much.
____________________
I'm not as think as you drunk I am.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Richtea
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 15 Nov 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:39 - 02 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely first bike, much nicer than the standard CG's etc.

Enjoy it and good luck with your tests!
____________________
2005 Honda Varadero 125xl > 2005 GS500F > 2007 DRZ400 SM > 600 Bandit & Yamaha YP250
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Alex_B
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 15 Jul 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:52 - 02 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bred2shred wrote:
It's been a while since i last used it Alex, about 20 years ago when i was helping my dad restore an old kwaka, but i remember getting good results. Only a fiver a tube so even if it's shite you've not lost much.


Yea, cheers matey.

I guess I'll give it a try then Thumbs Up
____________________
My Lane Position is always AWESOME!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bred2shred
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 15 Apr 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:42 - 02 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

radilist wrote:
goodluck with cbt and very nice bike how much was it?



Sorry mate I meant to reply to you earlier on.

I picked it up for £1200, MOT till June, taxed till September 7.5k on the clock and it came with a helmet that I won't use unless I'm desperate.
____________________
I'm not as think as you drunk I am.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Matt B
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:31 - 03 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bred2shred wrote:
...it came with a helmet that I won't use unless I'm desperate.


I normally use the toilet when I'm desperate, but whatever floats your boat! Shocked
____________________
stinkwheel: He had an animated .gif of a cat performing fellatio. It's not socially acceptable. It can have real life adverse effects on other people.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bred2shred
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 15 Apr 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:50 - 05 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex_B wrote:
Bred2shred wrote:
It's been a while since i last used it Alex, about 20 years ago when i was helping my dad restore an old kwaka, but i remember getting good results. Only a fiver a tube so even if it's shite you've not lost much.


Yea, cheers matey.

I guess I'll give it a try then Thumbs Up


Hey Alex, just spent this afternoon tarting up the xr, so here's some before and after pics of what autosol can do.

Fork stanchions before.
https://i45.tinypic.com/24n1a4x.jpg

After.
https://i50.tinypic.com/wgqa8y.jpg

Front wheel before.
https://i50.tinypic.com/1zgbzpt.jpg

After.
https://i50.tinypic.com/34rg4f7.jpg

So all the wheels and forks are polished up, changed the plug for a new one and removed all the plastics to clean the crap out from behind it as the prev owner used it for green laneing.

The only thing i chickened out of halfway through was getting the exhaust off for a tidy and respray. I undid the mid mount and the seat mount and moved onto the manifold. To say the bolts are tight is an understatement, one bolt i couldn't shift and the other started to turn very slowly with lots of resistance and i thought that it mght be cross threaded. So not wanting to be left with bolts i cant put back in, especially into the engine casing i stopped.

Am i just being paranoid with my new bike?
____________________
I'm not as think as you drunk I am.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Noxious89123
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:47 - 06 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not at all, exhaust stud bolts are a cnut to get undone without snapping them off if they've not been touched for ages or are rusted/corroded.

Nice result on the wheel, but I'm not convinced by the forks. The pitting still looks pretty bad to me.
____________________
'06 Honda CBR125RW-6 ~ '00 Honda CBR600F-Y ~ '07 Honda CBR600RR-7 ~ Bikeless Sad
'53 Ford Ka 1.3 ~ '03 Vauxhall Astra SRi 1.8 ~ '52 Vauxhall Astra SRi 2.2 ~ '53 Vauxhall Astra GSi
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bred2shred
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 15 Apr 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:05 - 06 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong I know the forks are not perfect, but to be fair the rust is all above the level of normal travel and now that I've used the autosol it's suppose to leave a protective barrier that means it won't get any worse.
____________________
I'm not as think as you drunk I am.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Alex_B
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 15 Jul 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:10 - 06 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done mate.
Shame the forks didn't quite reach the the standard of the wheel.

Wheel looks very good considering.

Pretty good job I reckon Thumbs Up
____________________
My Lane Position is always AWESOME!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mysterious_rider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:42 - 06 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top job mate. Go over the forks again though. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bikertomm
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:34 - 06 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks much better Thumbs Up

Is your engine block / head clean? I can kind of tell from the pictures yours looks a shade lighter, I'm thinking of motorcycle degreaser to spray in there and toothbrush it? Reckon that will work lol, I'll get some pics later!

Thumbs Up
____________________
07' Honda Hornet now full powaah! My guide on performing an oil change!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pendulum
Traffic Copper



Joined: 13 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:31 - 06 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ordered some Autosol, as my forks are as bad as yours (and my wheels much worse), you can see by the pics it's obviously helped.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bred2shred
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 15 Apr 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:47 - 06 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad my fettlings have inspired. Very Happy

My rear wheel was worse than the front and it's came up pretty good aswell.

So good luck, Autosol is full of win.
____________________
I'm not as think as you drunk I am.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bred2shred
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 15 Apr 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:48 - 06 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noxious89123 wrote:
Not at all, exhaust stud bolts are a cnut to get undone without snapping them off if they've not been touched for ages or are rusted/corroded.


Guess what i did?

Shocked
https://i48.tinypic.com/1z6duz9.jpg

Evil or Very Mad
https://i48.tinypic.com/eukapi.jpg
____________________
I'm not as think as you drunk I am.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

recman
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:15 - 06 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can the stud be sanded down flush and then drilled and tapped so you can use a bolt instead?

Also, I find that stubborn rusty pit marks respond well to Autosol used with 1000p wet&dry.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 153 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.7 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 130.4 Kb