Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


A2 Licence (Only rode a "Twist n go")

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

-Monty-
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Apr 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:12 - 05 May 2012    Post subject: A2 Licence (Only rode a "Twist n go") Reply with quote

Hello all.

At some point this year (preferably sooner rather than later) I would like to get an A2 motorcycle licence. However, I ride a 125 twist n go scooter at the moment and have never ridden a geared bike; although, abviously I want to sit the test on a geared bike.

I realise I will need lessons to get to grips with a geared bike and to learn all required test elements. I don't want to buy a geared 125 to practice on as this would be even more expense.

So basically it would be helpful if anyone has any advice/comments on whether it is feasable for me to attempt the A2 tests even though I have only ridden an automatic.

Sorry if its not clear what I'm asking - I've done my best at explaining.

Thanks

Alex

P.S. I've been riding my scooter for just over a year now.
____________________
Present: [Kawasaki ZX7r][Suzuki DRZ 400s]
Past: [Honda PCX 125] [Yamaha RXS 100] [Honda CB 500] [Triumph Speed Four] [Honda ST1100 Pan European - Po-Po Edition]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Derivative
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Aug 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:58 - 05 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loads of people jump on 125's and take their tests within a few days of intensive lessons.

I completed my CBT on a twist and go but played with a geared bike. When I bought the CG I basically figured it out on the way home. Probably not the safest option, but it was manageable.

I hadn't driven a car before that either.

I wouldn't say I was test standard after a few days, but with proper lessons you'll be fine. As long as you can get out of the habit of thinking the clutch is a brake. Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr



Joined: 01 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:34 - 05 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no such thing as an A2 licence yet.
A2 licence is defined as allowing machines of any capacity up to 45bhp. BUT its a forever licence that's all it will ever allow you to ride, unless you take tests to ride a bigger bike on a bigger bike.

Comes into force from January next January, with new test rules.

If you test on a 125 at the moment, you get a FULL A Group licence, with 2 year 33bhp probation that expires after two years.

And you COULD test under 'Standard' bike rules on a qualifying 125cc twist and go, only your licence would be 'endorsed' as 'automatic Transmission only'...

which would mean you could ride any capacity of bike, but only one without gears. Which limits you, to my knowledge about three bikes over 250cc... the Honda CB400 Honda-matic, the Honda CB750 Hondamatic, and a Moto-Guzi 850..

Not sure about the new Hondas with electronic 'semi-auto' gearboxes, think that because they CAN be manually selectable you have to have the higher licence.

BUT... to you r question; gears dont need to be that hard.

I converted from a twist and go to a geared bike, in about an hour... I was twelve, and stepped up from a 50cc two stroke pedal & pop to a 350cc Suzuki, and was wheelying it and tail sliding the thing within the hour!... then my uncle took it off me!

People go straight on to geared bikes in CBT and are riding by lunch time.

It need NOT be a big deal....

Go find a school, book a lesson on gears, see how you get on....

If you 'take' to it, then work with the school, use school bike for tests. MAY mean having a couple more lessons with them on gears, to use the school bike for test, but at maybe £50 a pop, thats £200 to put wheels under your bum to get the licence.

Give or take, that MAY be as cheap as buying a bike, may not; depends on how you get on on that taster lesson, and whether you struggle on tests.

Meanwhile; HAVE you got the theory out the way?
____________________
My Webby'Tef's-tQ, loads of stuff about my bikes, my Land-Rovers, and the stuff I do with them!
Current Bikes:'Honda VF1000F' ;'CB750F2N' ;'CB125TD ( 6 3 of em!)'; 'Montesa Cota 248'. Learner FAQ's:= 'U want to Ride a Motorbike! Where Do U start?'
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:41 - 05 May 2012    Post subject: Re: A2 Licence (Only rode a "Twist n go") Reply with quote

monteme0 wrote:
I don't want to buy a geared 125 to practice on as this would be even more expense.

Hardly. Sell it afterwards, get your money back. The only cost is insurance, time and fuel.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

-Monty-
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Apr 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:24 - 06 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. From what you've said it sounds as though the getting used to geared part won't be too much of a problem. I guess I'll just have to pay out for an extra couple of lessons more than usual but thats not too bad.

Yeah I realised that about taking the test on an automatic, hence why I would like to take it on a manual - much more choice in manual bikes.

And no I haven't taken my theory yet but I have a car licence and passed the theory first time so I can't imagine the bike theory is too much difference. I will have to try and find some practice tests though as I wasn't too great on the hazard perception part.
____________________
Present: [Kawasaki ZX7r][Suzuki DRZ 400s]
Past: [Honda PCX 125] [Yamaha RXS 100] [Honda CB 500] [Triumph Speed Four] [Honda ST1100 Pan European - Po-Po Edition]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

HJM
Crazy Courier



Joined: 15 Apr 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:05 - 06 May 2012    Post subject: Re: A2 Licence (Only rode a "Twist n go") Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
monteme0 wrote:
I don't want to buy a geared 125 to practice on as this would be even more expense.

Hardly. Sell it afterwards, get your money back. The only cost is insurance, time and fuel.


Thumbs Up
____________________
"90% of all statistics are made up"

CBT-18/04/2013
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TheManWithThe...
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 30 Aug 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:52 - 06 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my test straight from a 50 twist 'n go, and managed to get to grips with the extra power and gears fairly quickly.
I did a "half CBT" (basically a CBT but cheaper, and with no certificate at the end) with my local bike school, so i was able to get used to the clutch on the playground, then go out and do some road riding, then i did 2 intensive lessons, about 6 hours each, one before each test.
____________________
MBK Nitro 50, Sold. Kawasaki ER-5, Honda ST1100
"Anyone can jump a motorcycle! The trouble begins when you try to land it..."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 153 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 1.07 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 57.2 Kb