Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Frank Thomas?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

RobinRed
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 06 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:20 - 06 May 2012    Post subject: Frank Thomas? Reply with quote

Hi,

CBT is booked and looking at buying some textile clothing

Im close to JS acessories so i will go there, what is their gear like? i cant really afford alpinestars so what is next best?

Thanks
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

recman
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:32 - 06 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought this, these and these from J&S for my CBT in the week. Got a discount and a couple of freebies chucked in as I bought a helmet as well.
They feel really comfortable and look well made but then I've not been on a bike with them yet. Embarassed
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ApocalypseBik...
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 13 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:35 - 06 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weise. From all the brands I've seen so far here in the UK, they have very good value and construction quality, tied in with a not-too-cheap and not-massively-expensive price range.

From what I'm aware, Frank Thomas is more of an old-school brand, decent all-around manufacturer (everything is made in the far East anyway), I didn't find their stuff of such high build quality.

Have you looked into Spada products? They'll be a bit cheaper than Weise, but in terms of performance and build quality, there shouldn't be any noticeable difference.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dilyan
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Nov 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:37 - 06 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally not very happy with FT. The XTiII textiles I bought last year lost its stitches at a few places. Gloves and boots are still holding well. If you go leathers - quite happy with my RST Slice.
____________________
Current: 2007 VFR800; Ex: 2001 YZF600R Thundercat
Škoda Octavia (yes, a taxi driver)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bred2shred
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 15 Apr 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:39 - 06 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best thing you can do is just go along and try on as many as you can and choose the best fit for you.

I had a budget and tried on lots of jackets in and around this and found vast differences between them, even within the same brands.

I eventually went for THIS because it fitted me well, had some adjustment, was a good length and felt more subsantial than others i'd tried.

Hope this helps.
____________________
I'm not as think as you drunk I am.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RobinRed
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 06 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:53 - 06 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, il look at JS when i go and see whats there,

Next is up helmets, iv found a great fitting £70 one i think its made my Marushin? is that a decent brand or is there no point on "branded" helmets?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

recman
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:57 - 06 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it fits well and feels good, buy it. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bred2shred
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 15 Apr 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:16 - 06 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

What he said Thumbs Up
____________________
I'm not as think as you drunk I am.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:22 - 06 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bouhgt an FT jacket, trousers and boots.They were a good price so given I was having to buy a complete set of clothes all at once price was the deciding factor. I'm intending to replace them with better kit peace by peace. So a better jacket mid summer, better trousers at the end of the year then some better boots next spring.

Aside from being a bit bulky the FT jacket and trousers are good. I find the side poclets on the trousers a bit uneccesary and the velcro is a bit of a pain on the jacket, there's just too much of it. Other than those gripes I'm perfectly comfortable and I'm happy with FT gear as a starter outfit.

My Helmet is a Nitro Apex full face (£79). Its as good as anything I looked at under £100. So good in fact I wonder what the advantage of Helmets that cost hundreds of pounds.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

hedgehugger
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Nov 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:11 - 06 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first helmet I tried on in a shop was Marushin. I quite liked them. They were lightweight too. They have good results mostly on the Sharp testing webby thingy.
https://sharp.direct.gov.uk/testhelmetlist?sharp-make=114&sharp-model=&sharp-type=All&sharp-rating=1&discontinued=1
I have a FT leather jacket and trousers. Ilike them but each to their own. My jacket is black and white and the colours are a bit faded now, but doesn't bother me.
Also have a Weise leather jacket and that seems to be well made, had it for 4 years and the only thing wrong with it is the inside pocket zip has knacked.
Buy what you like, what you can afford and buggar everyone else Smile
You will always find someone that loves/hates brands whichever one you choose.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:17 - 06 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a need for 2 identical threads?

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=245384
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Beelzebob
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 08 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:43 - 06 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
Is there a need for 2 identical threads?

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=245384


Funny, I thought that as well. If you're going to ask a thread like this, just pick one section yeah?
____________________
'09 YBR 125 -> '92 XJ600 S Diversion -> '99 Hornet 600

"Stronger than your average female lifeguard"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 154 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.76 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 71.71 Kb