Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Anti Motorbike Town

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

headlamp
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Nov 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:10 - 05 Oct 2004    Post subject: Anti Motorbike Town Reply with quote

I had to see a client today in Watford. So I decided to go by bike - the journey was fairly uneventful and quite enjoyable as I don't get out of town much! Anyway, I approached Watford from the A41 and turned into the St. Albans Road, there were bus lanes and bicycle lanes all over the place, odd traffic lights before traffic lights, speed cameras every 400 yards or so, not to mention maniacal drivers. Anyway, I arrived at my destination, near Watford Junction station and looked for a motorcycle bay - there were none, so parked up opposite Watford Police station on a 'Pay & Display' - usually the restrictions and regulations are on the ticket dispensers - nothing.

So I went into the station and asked, "Do bikes park for free?
"No" was the reply,
"Are there any motorcycle bays?", I asked
"Not in Watford that I can think of" , said the Officer,
"So I have to pay the same as a car that takes up 4 times more space!", I retorted,
"Yes, unless you want a ticket".
"But in London, with the exception of Westminster and Camden, bikes park for free and in those two boroughs they have loads of motorcycle bays where you can park for free", I explained,
"Well, take it up with the Council", said the Constable, clearly getting bored with this conversation.
"But it might get stolen", I said,
"Oh well" said the policeman,

So I was resigned to getting a ticket and spent £2 for two hours. As it came out it was the paper type, so nowhere to stick in on the bike! I got round that by sticking half of it in the pannier at the back!

Watford must be the most anti bike town in the UK! Are there any other towns in the UK that are as bad or worse?

H
____________________
Using a mobile phone while driving a car should be made a capital offence!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Git
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:15 - 05 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to live in Watford, the main reason I moved away was because of parking, terrible place.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Harold_Shand
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:16 - 05 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You haven't seen Watford at 2am on a Saturday. Full of bikes.
Peas.
____________________
BCF's 6th favourite poster 2009-2010

Harold_Shand's theory might be the best explanation.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:19 - 05 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are plently of car parks with bike bays, and if you are using a car space then it is fair enough if they want you to buy a ticket (the ones where you have to pay so your ticket can open the barrier at the exit are good, just follow another car out under it or go round it Razz).

I am fairly certain that some car parks in Watford will have bike bays in them, cops don't deal with parking restrictions in private carparks so if he wasn't a biker then there wouldn't be a reason for him to know really.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

headlamp
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Nov 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:19 - 05 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harold_Shand wrote:
You haven't seen Watford at 2am on a Saturday. Full of bikes.
Peas.


I'm not sure I would want to be in Watford at 2am on a Saturday Shocked
____________________
Using a mobile phone while driving a car should be made a capital offence!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Git
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:21 - 05 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

headlamp wrote:

I'm not sure I would want to be in Watford at 2am on a Saturday Shocked


I am sure you wouldn't either Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

flat spot
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:47 - 05 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just don't get a ticket (unless there is cctv) and say it was pinched off the bike if you get a parking ticket.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mister James
I want to believe!



Joined: 10 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:01 - 05 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

headlamp wrote:
Harold_Shand wrote:
You haven't seen Watford at 2am on a Saturday. Full of bikes.
Peas.


I'm not sure I would want to be in Watford at 2am on a Saturday Shocked


And you would be a winner for thinking that. I used to get pissed there as a youngster, popped back a few months ago and it was just as bad as I remembered. A nasty collection of Chav hangouts and faux gangstaz.

Some nice windy national speed limit roads between it, radlett and st albans though.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:49 - 05 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You think that is bad...Try booking accommodation in the city of York for a group of seven for three nights. "No problem sir, we have x twin rooms and y singles available at z per night, would you like to pay by visa or mastercard?"

Now ask them if they have off-street parking for four motorbikes. "I'm sorry sir, we don't take bookings from bikers." Shocked

I shit you not! Happened with five different places, entirely gave up on the idea of going to York for the weekend after that (and I am talking about a group of three couples and myself, whose occupations include vets, engineers, company directors, driving examiners and local councillors, not some outlaw biker gang!)

It is also the only town where a bouncer has ever KBed me from a nightclub because ..get this...my shoes (highly polished army boots worn with chinos a collar and tie) were too casual! Rolling Eyes Laughing
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

iCraig
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:54 - 05 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres a pub near here that won't serve bikers, bloody assholes!

Manchesters not too bad for bike parking, they have free bike bays and they even let you use the cycle locking things with no complaints if you park your biker in a proper manner and not obstruct the whole pavement or something!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man



Joined: 16 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:10 - 06 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you parked across the space and took up as much of it as possible.

You pay for the full space, use it all.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Gti
Bendy Groupie



Joined: 07 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:38 - 06 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their's always the shopping parade. Under a crossover bridge there's a few chains to park bikes up under. Just circle round the town centre till you see it.
____________________
[M]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Liono
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:53 - 06 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stinkywheely, which club was it? The clubs in York usually have silly dress codes which seem designed to allow entry only to those in dodgy townie clothes. I have almost given up on going to clubs in York and just tend to drink in bars with a late license now (Lowther for those that know it) as I can wear pretty much what I like in them.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

synaptyx
Crazy Courier



Joined: 05 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:30 - 06 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's hardly any mc parking here. Sainsbury's have 5 spaces and had to put bollards up because cars were using the bike area. Not because the car park was full mind, because the bike area is nearer to the door. Doh!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Grubby
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 15 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:17 - 06 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shoulda parked in the visitors car park of the police station. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sadie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:27 - 06 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are at least two motorcycle parking bays that I know of in Watford, one by the crossover as Gti said, and one down near to Lloyd Coopers bike shop.

Stinkywheely, I have stayed in York with bike and was made most welcome, and the bike was put into a private courtyard for security. I have stayed in B&Bs in lots of places in Yorkshire and been treated with the same respect as everyone else. I guess you were very unlucky.

Pubs - if refused as a biker, try the following. Go in a couple of days later with as many mates as possible, but dressed in civvies. Order as large a round of drinks as you can, preferably of the expensive type, all the time holding your wallet in your hand to give the impression of being able to pay. When the barman/woman has totted up the round, you can suddenly "remember" that the pub doesn't serve bikers, and leave along with all of your mates. Laughing

Thumbs Up
____________________
With experience comes age.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mantzy
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 30 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:28 - 06 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Ipswich all bikes park right in the middle next to a cinema, Barclays and (what was) Oneils, now a strip bar. It's almost as if it was designed for me! Don't know if it was ever meant to be used for bikes as there is nothing there to say it is nor ground anchors but everyday about 20-30 bikes are parked up there and there is nothing anyone can do about it. Colchester is quite bad. There are parking spaces for about 10 bikes in the town centre. They are never free.
____________________
Current Bikes: 2010 Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Previous Bikes: 2002 Sachs XTC, 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R, 2004 GSX-R 600 K4, 2006 Yamaha XT660X
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Danny
Ask Me About Stoppie School



Joined: 26 Jan 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:58 - 06 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

flat spot wrote:
Just don't get a ticket (unless there is cctv) and say it was pinched off the bike if you get a parking ticket.
Been there, tried that, paid the fine. Rolling Eyes

Excellent idea Sadie. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:06 - 06 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liono wrote:
Stinkywheely, which club was it? The clubs in York usually have silly dress codes which seem designed to allow entry only to those in dodgy townie clothes.


Can't remember, It had torches either side of the door. And yes, I did notice a disproportionate number of people in tight white trousers, loud shirts open to the waist with fake tan and big gold chains. I thought it was a 70's night when I first walked in but my mate who is from there informed me that they dress like that all the time Laughing

stinkywheely
casual user of sixteen letter words in conversation.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

craigie b
Citizen Smith



Joined: 26 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:48 - 06 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fit like then Stinky! Laughing

York is shite for a night oot anyway. I live here and its fucking garbage. Me and ma mate hiv been refused entry because he was too drunk....Even though we were both tanked on speed (had drunk about two pints) and looked and sound absolutely fine (allegedly) so the only reason we could assume we were not allowed in was because he was Irish and I'm a jock. Racist cunts.

As for the bikes in York, I've nae hid too much problems wie mine, however I've nivir tried tae book in anywhere cos I bide here! Posh twats!

Some yorkers can be a wee bit to pretenious for ma liking.

All the best
Craig
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dannie_10
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 15 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:04 - 06 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colchester has a few parking spaces for bikes..... many in the high st which are nearly always taken up first thing in the morning and there is two car parks which i know of that have bike bays Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:51 - 06 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigie b wrote:
Fit like then Stinky! Laughing


Nae bad ye ken, fit like yersel?. Ah div'nae ken if at is fit the bother is. Mebbe they tak issue wi the fact that the scots raided the place a whilie ago.

Ye div ken a gadgee fae York can sheet ye wi a bow and arra suppoosin ye stan on 'e toon wall?
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

craigie b
Citizen Smith



Joined: 26 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:12 - 06 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ye div ken a gadgee fae York can sheet ye wi a bow and arra suppoosin ye stan on 'e toon wall?
Laughing

let the fuckers try! I hinna heard the word 'gadgee' in ages....I need tae get hame mair often tae hear the Doric dialect again. I'm getting tainted wie a' this fucking talking the queens english shite Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

iCraig
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:14 - 06 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought this was an english forum Laughing Razz.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

craigie b
Citizen Smith



Joined: 26 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:15 - 06 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way oif your ever up in York on a bikers day out then you should try and get out to Squires Biker Cafe in Sherburn in Elmut (strange name). Its about 14 milesoutside of York and on a bonnie day ye get, quite literally, hundreds, if not a thousand +, of bikers there milling aboot drinking pints o tea an' coffee. Every kind of bike under the sun , along with matching characters. Great stuff!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 22 years, 3 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.16 Sec - Server Load: 0.98 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 131.34 Kb