Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Front wheel noise

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Jim Mc
Nearly there...



Joined: 28 Dec 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:08 - 23 May 2012    Post subject: Front wheel noise Reply with quote

Since I've had my wheel off for a tyre change it's making a horrendous noise.

Now my wheel is catching slightly on the brakes, but this isn't the same noise, it's like a constant rumble.

Thought it could be the bearings but I've had the front up, span the wheel, there's no play there's no grittyness. After a drive home from work I put my hand near the centre of the wheel and there's no heat whatsoever.

I actually think it could be the tyre causing the noise, as it changes based on road surface, but it's always there and pretty damn loud.

CBR600rr K7.

I'm going to dismantle it at the weekend, but, any thoughts? Could I have dislodged something near the axle or not put it back correctly? Seemed really straight forward when I removed the axle.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

neil.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:07 - 23 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any spacers out of place? Is the speedo cable driven via the front wheel/gear? If so maybe that's not seated properly?
____________________
CBT February 2008 | A2 June 2008 | Yamaha YBR125 (written off) | Honda CBF125 (current)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

darren997
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 17 Apr 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:25 - 24 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that will be a wheel bearing. You need to take out the front wheel and check the bearing by turning it by hand. If you check with the wheel in place on the bike it will not show up a 'rough' bearing.
I've had 3 CBR6's and have had to replace the front wheel bearing on two of them.

Do not worry about the speedo drive \ cable as newer CBR do not have the speedo drive on the front wheel but do check you have the spacers the right way around.

If you have the bike handbook it will give details of how to corrently 'space out' the wheel as I think you need to make sure you have the right space between the fork legs and brakes calipers
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Aug 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:34 - 24 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remove both calipers and hang them up so as not to stretch the hoses.

Suspend the front wheel off the ground and see if you can pull or push one of the spokes towards/away from the fork leg.

If you feel any play it is either or both wheel bearings.

Have a look to see if either caliper has been contacting the disc where it should not.Bolt one caliper back on and see if it rubs/graunches on the wheel or disc.Do this with one cailper at a time.

Have the disc pads got plenty of friction material left on them?
____________________
Just talk bikes.What else is there?

Always have a 'Plan B'
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jim Mc
Nearly there...



Joined: 28 Dec 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:04 - 24 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a workshop manual for this bike and I tried searching but couldn't find an assembly diagram for the front wheel.

Does anyone know if there even are spacers? When I took the wheel off there were dust covers protecting the bearings, and that's all I noticed.

I'm wondering if there are actually spacers, whether the wheel could be back-to-front and they've maybe fitted the tyre the opposite direction of what it was previously.

I'm thinking the discs are warped but could care less as there's plenty left on them. Plenty left on the pads too, the noise doesn't disappear or change under braking so I'm fairly confident it's not the brakes.

I suspect bearings because what else can it be really? but im disappointed if so because I wasn't rough when reassembling.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

darren997
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 17 Apr 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:45 - 25 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://hondatech.info/search/cbr/600/

Some service manuals for CBR 6 but sure if they cover your years model but may help
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

garth
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:14 - 25 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

What tyre did you have fitted? When I had a BT021 on the front of my old fazer, it was so noisey I thought something was broken.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jim Mc
Nearly there...



Joined: 28 Dec 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:00 - 26 May 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Michelin Power Pure fitted. But I read that they have to conform to regulations on noise so if there is a problem with the tyre itself then it must be a duffer.

I took it all apart today, and checked the bearings by hand. There's no play, there's no grittyness. There's a bit of scoring on the outer spacers, but nothing major. The forks, bearings and axle all look to be in good condition.

When I had it all off I did notice the central spacer/collar was wobbling about but didn't notice any significant gap between it and the bearings. I used a caliper and measured the depth to each of the bearings as 7.98mm from the side, so they seem to be positioned symmetrically.

When I reinstalled the wheel, I installed the axle but didn't tighten it, when I spun the wheel it was smooth as butter, and I got about 15 revolutions out of it. When I tightened the axle bolt to the specified torque, I then only got about 7 revs. So at this point I'm scratching my head thinking, the bearings must be placed under some lateral compression which is causing friction? There was no noise when the axle was re-tightened.

So then I installed the brake calipers again, and the right causes a bit of drag, but the left is catching quite a bit, the revs go down to about 3 turns by hand with both calipers on. The discs don't appear to be warped. So I'm left wondering what on earth would have caused the whole assembly to be out of kilter.

Maybe the brakes were catching previously, and I just never noticed it? I'm not convinced they're the cause of the noise. In any case there doesn't appear to be any way of aligning the wheel to the forks other than changing the depth of the bearings from their current equidistant setup.

Which only leaves the tyre... I'm a bit perplexed by it all.

Going to take it for a ride tomorrow. See if anything has changed. If not, next weekend I'm going to disassemble the brakes and clean the cylinders as they're looking a bit mucky.

By the way, thank you for the input so far.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 130 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.54 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 57.14 Kb