Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


kneedown problem!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

RooRoo
Anal Intruder



Joined: 04 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:24 - 05 Oct 2004    Post subject: kneedown problem! Reply with quote

I managed to get really low on my CG the other day on a roundabout, apparently too low as the bottom of my bike hit the ground and I nearly lost it, but not sure what it was, possibly the center stand at the bottom...guess getting knee down on a cg is impossible :/

Last edited by RooRoo on 17:29 - 05 Oct 2004; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!



Joined: 12 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:27 - 05 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez, I wouldn't like to get my knee down on a cg, I'd be waiting for the bike to start sliding. Could be the centre stand, surely it's easy enough to work out what it was by looking at the bike.

Talking of impossible though, there is a pic on bikepics.com (if you browse by manufacturor) there's a pic of someone with their knee down on a cg, so it is possible, you might just need to hang off the bike a bit more.


Gaz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:27 - 05 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang off the bike, hang until your knee is down on the ground. You can kneedown on pretty much any bike, on some it is just a matter of hanging off lots. When learning it is fairly common to have your pegs (or centre stand if you have one) touch down and you're then unsure what to do as you can't lean the bike anymore, but aren't hanging off it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:28 - 05 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a problem. You get a really cool shower of sparks off the centrestand when you ground it out in the dark. Don't do it too much though or you won't be able to park it Very Happy
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

RooRoo
Anal Intruder



Joined: 04 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:29 - 05 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

im a bit worried about getting too low and just binning it, I dont remember where I was exactly when I hit the ground, just remember a big vibration that shot the bike in the air very quickly, so I left the roundabout and headed back, laughing at myself...I'll try hanging off a bit more.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy99
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 16 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:42 - 05 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a little look round the bike until you find something with a scuff.If it's the centrestand,which is most likely check the spring,if it's too loose the stand might be hanging lower than it should causing early touchdown.I had a similar problem with an RD350,i just removed the centrestand Very Happy
____________________
Nothing gets the point across quite like a raised middle digit.

Just call me General Crazypaws.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:53 - 05 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy99 wrote:
I had a similar problem with an RD350,i just removed the centrestand Very Happy


No you didn't, you put allspeed pipes on it didn't you? Go on, you can own up to your uncle stinkwheel Smile

Down this path lies the road to ruin, first it is taking off the centrestand, then it is a set of raised exhaust brackets. Next comes the rearsets and then the sawing in half of the footpegs. Before you know it you are riding about with your feet level with the saddle and the exhaust coming out of your arse....Then you fall off the edge of the tyres Rolling Eyes

Stinkywheely
Travelled this road before
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

RooRoo
Anal Intruder



Joined: 04 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:03 - 05 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Down this path lies the road to ruin, first it is taking off the centrestand, then it is a set of raised exhaust brackets. Next comes the rearsets and then the sawing in half of the footpegs. Before you know it you are riding about with your feet level with the saddle and the exhaust coming out of your arse....Then you fall off the edge of the tyres


LMAO! Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stryker
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 30 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:11 - 05 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the drive to make people get their knee down? You will only be banking into a sharpish corner like that if your doing like 70mph+ last time I checked we didn't have very many near 90 deg bends on our motorways.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:15 - 05 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

stryker wrote:
What is the drive to make people get their knee down? You will only be banking into a sharpish corner like that if your doing like 70mph+ last time I checked we didn't have very many near 90 deg bends on our motorways.


Same reason people wheelie, stoppie and see how fast their bikes can go.
____________________
Current: CB500 Previous: CB100N, CB250RS, XJ900F, GT550, GPZ750R/1000RX, AJS M16, R100RT, Enfield Bullet

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:19 - 05 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the cg the rubber coated pegs make for an interesting peg down sensation.
Shouldn't be a problem getting your knee down though, the trick is to hang off like a monkey.

<Insert elbow down pic here>

Hang off as much as possible and you can probably almost get your knee down with an upright bike on a cg.


Another reason for knee down is that it gives you the confidence to lean further and a better feel for how far over your bike is leant and can be leant.
I reckon I also saved a potential crash thanks to it (though a little different as somone ran over my rear wheel on track.)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

RealNinja
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:35 - 05 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

stryker wrote:
What is the drive to make people get their knee down? You will only be banking into a sharpish corner like that if your doing like 70mph+ last time I checked we didn't have very many near 90 deg bends on our motorways.


We have plenty of roundabouts in this country though....... Wink

I have discovered that since i started hanging off (not necessarily knee down, but shifting bodyweight to the inside) I am now leaning the bike over less and have more safety margin on my tyres.

Two years ago I was getting dangerously close to running off the edges of my tyres (especially at trackdays Shocked ) and now i have a chicken strip of about 1/2 inch
____________________
You will become my force of retribution. Where you tread, doom will follow. Go now and claim your destiny
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jay12329
Dr. Evil



Joined: 02 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:26 - 05 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking the same thing when i dragged both pegs along the groud, can i get my KD with standard rearsets on a hornet. Next track day i was hanging off a bit more and my knee went down. Just get used to sticking you knee out so far it streatches your leathers. Photos help too, Kron showed me a pic with my knee almost down i ajusted my position slightly and it touched down.
J
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Jul 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:30 - 05 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel safer taking a corner at speed when hanging off the bike as it lets me know how much the bike is leaning and how much more it can go. Plus, with your weight off the bike it's easier to tip it in further, should you need to. I get scared of running wide when just leaning the bike without moving my body weight. It's hard to explain.

So basically as G said Thumbs Up
____________________
Past: Honda NSR125R >> Kawasaki ER-5a2 >> Kawasaki ZZR-600e1 >> Suzuki GSXR-750Y >> Honda VTR 1000 Firestorm
"Chickity China the Chinese Chicken..."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stryker
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 30 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:45 - 06 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, thanks. I've recently found the bike feels safer in corners if I lean a little extra off to the inside of a turn, also moving forward so I'm kind of holding the bike down as opposed to holding the handlebar forward..... erm, if you get my drift.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

cliff
Doctor Sicknote



Joined: 11 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:10 - 06 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I can do it on a Honda H100 (almost exactly the same as cg), you can do it! Razz As G said, hang off as much as you can and take a nice line!
____________________
Sweet reggae music.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:40 - 06 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much as you don't see the need stryker, if you've got leathers with sliders, go to a roundabout and practice doing it.

You'll probably find you get a better 'feel' for the bike and it may save you if some time later you need to suddenly turn qucikly to avoid something. Your mind will already be happy with more lean, so won't instinctively associate it with crashing.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

BLOFLY 636
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 18 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:32 - 07 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently seen my AUGUST ISSUE copy of "Performance Bikes" and noticed an article titled "From Novice To Kneedown In A Day" I read through it and seen that the 6 main points to getting your Knee Down is....... "RELAX"...... Too tense and you'll grip the controls too tightly and feel awkward. Breathe and take your time......."DON'T HANG OFF TOO FAR"......Sticking both arse cheeks off the seat points your knee back at the bike and lack of weight on the bike makes it handle like a space hopper......."DROP YOUR INSIDE SHOULDER".......Sit quite well back in the seat, as it helps you look through the corner as far as you can and your knee naturally sticks out......"BUILD UP SPEED GENTLY"......If you go in too fast, resist the temptation to grab the front brake mid-corner, if you've got enough grip to brake, then you can make the turn......."PRETEND YOUR ROSSI!".......Mimic him and remember, you are a GP god!......."NEVER LOOK AT YOUR KNEE!!!"........NEVER EVER NO! ...However when I try to get my knee down by following everybodies advice from here and by what I just read in that magazine by sitting back in the seat I feel too high up and like I have far far more distance between my knee and the ground rather than when I just sit closer to the tank. I feel I can reach the ground a little easier with my knee not that I have scraped it with my slider yet but I just FEEL closer by sitting near the tank I think my main problem is I am not going fast enough to get my knee down because the bars feel like they want to turn in to the turn but when I see most pictures of people getting their knee down I notice the bars are quite straight or counter steering to the turn which indicates they are travelling at a speed greater than mine Confused
____________________
Those bloody footpegs......they ought to do away with em!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:10 - 07 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to think about counter steering you do it automatically anyway and the more you think about it the less you'll be doing it I'd expect. You do not need to be going fast to get your knee down just hang off the bike and then once you've found that it is actually possible you can lean the bikemore, the bike can be leant as far as it will go which for the majority of bikes is limited by the foot pegs going down so until then it can be leant over further.

Remember knee down other than the showing off aspect off it is used to give you a guide as to how leant over you are and how much more you can lean over without having to keep going until your pegs grind.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:32 - 07 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLOFLY 636 wrote:
DON'T HANG OFF TOO FAR"......Sticking both arse cheeks off the seat points your knee back at the bike and lack of weight on the bike makes it handle like a space hopper.......
"PRETEND YOUR ROSSI!".......Mimic him and remember, you are a GP god!.......

Watch the GP riders, they do often get their whole arse off the seat.
It does depend how flexible you are, as I am fairly flexible, though not quite up to do the splits, I can hang off a fair bit and keep my knee still pointing out.

However most people don't hang off enough in the first place. Do try and push your knee towards the ground almost.

Quote:
you can lean the bikemore, the bike can be leant as far as it will go which for the majority of bikes is limited by the foot pegs going down so until then it can be leant over further.

Thinking I have crashed once before the peg is down on a roundabout and have had the rear start to slide many times without the peg being down. It does depend on the bike, tyres, rider and suspension, ie alex could get the pegs on the rs down before, add in a more knackered rear tyre and stiffer suspension and it didn't go so well.
The thing to look out for is the rear starting to slip. Providing you get progressivley faster, this will initially be the bike suddenly turning in a lot quicker than it feels it should have. The front end is suddenly pointing towards the inside of the curve. This is the point that you should know not to push it anymore.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Orion
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 28 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:19 - 07 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLOFLY 636 wrote:
I see most pictures of people getting their knee down I notice the bars are quite straight or counter steering to the turn which indicates they are travelling at a speed greater than mine Confused


Countersteering is what makes the bike drop over. Done consciously or not. If you can, take a look at Keith Codes books or look at the California Superbike website - esp the no body steer bike.

Speed: 30-45 does it easily, but I've seen people GYKD at as low as 20-25mph...not me though!

Aprproach the corner,
Position yourself (hang off),
Break/change down as necessary,
turn in....scrape

Ideally take a late apex into the turn. Imp - position before the corner, if not you'll unsettle the bike. V.V.V Imp - once you start to accelerate in th turn, keep the throttle rolling on. If you don't you'll cause the forks to compress and possibly cause an off.

Easier said then done - I know Rolling Eyes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:35 - 07 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Thinking I have crashed once before the peg is down on a roundabout and have had the rear start to slide many times without the peg being down.

To be fair, that was whilst doing knee down in the wet. Razz

Most people won't be learning or trying kneeown on a 100bhp bike for quite a while, and the rear starting to slide is enough to tell the rider the tyres aren't happy and if a learner had it happen (or anyone who doesn't crash for a hobby Razz)) would have then leant less. Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:54 - 07 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I could be bothered with stuff like worrying about if I could get my knee down, we tried an exercise. I got two mates to support my GPZ500 between them whilst I sat on it, we tipped it over 'till the hero-blob touched down then I tried to hang off and touch the road with my knee.....conclusion: not possible by reason of long shins. It was probably possible on my powervalve but that had an insane amount of ground clearance anyway, more than you would ever use on the road and be confident of completing your journey outside of an ambulance.

Noone I know bothers trying to do it, I have been on some pretty high speed runs with bike clubs and I have never seen anyone putting their knee down on the road, come to think of it, I don't think I know anyone with kneesliders on their leathers.

The concept is sound in that you shift your weight to go round corners, I tend to hang an arse cheek off (or sometimes even rest my thigh accross the saddle) but I don't stick my leg out. Knee down is more so you can feel how far over you are leaning the bike as I understand it, GP racers will lean on their knee, shifting weight off the bike in a corner to stop it sliding but I refuse to believe anyone rides like that on the road...it would just take one tiny bit of debris to have you off if you were pushing the tyres that hard.

I can feel how far over I am with my toes, toe touches down=just about far enough since I already have as much weight hanging off the bike as i am comfortable with (when you are leaning your outside forearm against the tank to steady the bars, you are hanging off enough in my book). Before I get comments on being 'duck footed' you need to tell that to my mate Jim Snaith who finished 16th in the Manx classic this year on a CB250K3 lapping at around 90mph, he rides like that all the time.

But of course, now I ride a supermoto so it is feet and sticky-out elbows all the way Mr. Green
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:17 - 07 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

To be fair, that was whilst doing knee down in the wet. Razz

Nope, was bone dry, a bit cold but dry still. It was with an 020 rear though, but they claim to have 010 compound at the sides I think.

Quote:
Most people won't be learning or trying kneeown on a 100bhp bike for quite a while, and the rear starting to slide is enough to tell the rider the tyres aren't happy and if a learner had it happen (or anyone who doesn't crash for a hobby Razz)) would have then leant less. Razz

The point I was making was about noticing the rear starting to slide in that sort of situation.
At the time I obviously didn't think about it enough. It doesn't feel like other slides you might have on the road as initially it's much more subtle. Power doesn't come into it as you're keeping on a constant throttle on a roundabout (which will incidentally help reduce grip on the rear I believe.)
The problem is telling when you're reaching the limits of traction, and I definitely would not want to try until something touched down.

Stinkywheel:
Surely your long shin should help you on the side you're hanging off though, as that means you should be able to hand further off the bike?
I do get my knee down on the rs250 on the road, but usually just gratuitously because it's so easy.
While you can use your foot to guage distance to the road, I personally would be more worried about it catching on some debrie or a pot hole etc; personally I find it easier to 'skim' my knee.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

roozor
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 04 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:54 - 07 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

bloody hell, respect for evening thinking of a knee down on a cg Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 22 years, 2 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 0.67 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 138.02 Kb