Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


NC30, NC35, ZXR4, or GSXR4

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Mantzy
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 30 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:11 - 06 Oct 2004    Post subject: NC30, NC35, ZXR4, or GSXR4 Reply with quote

Having read I believe all there is to know about these 4 bikes I'm now having trouble in deciding which one to go for. Thanks to MarJay i'm now more put off by the GSXR but more in favour of the kawasaki and thanks to Haynes (for not producing a manual), I'm more in favour of the Hondas. But the ZXRs look really nice (especially the one in black '92 model i've seen on Bike Trader for £1350 and only done 8K miles). There's also a nice '90 NC30 I've seen on there for £1200 with 29K on the clock. Thing is, I think I'm likely to keep the bike for a good few years and use it as my commuting-to-work bike when I want something bigger. What do you guys think? What would you go for if you had the choice?

I think most of you would probably say NC35. I don't know why but I've been looking at pics of them recently and I just don't find them as appealing as when I first started looking at them. Think thats mainly because you're looking at £1000 more than a very similar though slightly older (and with slightly older components) VFR. Think I'd rather save that money and put it towards a 600 in a year or so time.

Suggestions would be welcome

R

Edit: Was thinking of buying from a dealer otherwise, that way I could do PX with my current bike or should I just get a loan with no early redemption fees?
____________________
Current Bikes: 2010 Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Previous Bikes: 2002 Sachs XTC, 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R, 2004 GSX-R 600 K4, 2006 Yamaha XT660X
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

iCraig
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:25 - 06 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

NC35's are expensive and ugly in my opinion, you better off going for an NC30 or ZXR400.

I'd go for the latter, as Kawasaki's are great Razz.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ProXimaCore
Dougal



Joined: 01 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:29 - 07 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of interest, what put you off the GSXR?
____________________
Honda NSR125R -> Suzuki GSXR400R GK76a -> Kawasaki ZX636 B1H -> Honda CBR400RR NC29 -> Nothing Sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Mantzy
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 30 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:24 - 07 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProXimaCore wrote:
Just out of interest, what put you off the GSXR?


Don't know really. They seem like a really nice bike but I keep hearing that they're really uncomfortable.

Plus, they don't do a Haynes manual for it and with my current bike i'm being screwed by the garage who are charging me an arm and a leg. Would like to do the work myself if poss.
____________________
Current Bikes: 2010 Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Previous Bikes: 2002 Sachs XTC, 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R, 2004 GSX-R 600 K4, 2006 Yamaha XT660X
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ProXimaCore
Dougal



Joined: 01 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:45 - 07 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mantzy wrote:
Don't know really. They seem like a really nice bike but I keep hearing that they're really uncomfortable.

Plus, they don't do a Haynes manual for it and with my current bike i'm being screwed by the garage who are charging me an arm and a leg. Would like to do the work myself if poss.

Well I can tell you that it is REALLY uncomfortable. But I kind of like it. I don't use the bike for comfort. I'd have it even more extreme if it could. You're basically flat against the tank all the time. The bars are a fair stretch away. So your wrists do take a bit of punishment. It's a good bike if you're just wanting to razz around on though.

I have got manuals on the bike if you ever did decide to get one. I'd probably get a VFR though just to make life a bit easier.
____________________
Honda NSR125R -> Suzuki GSXR400R GK76a -> Kawasaki ZX636 B1H -> Honda CBR400RR NC29 -> Nothing Sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

N_Tart
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 06 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:02 - 07 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a ZXR400L brand new in '95. I used it everyday for work, I toured europe for 4 months, I did the TT 4 years in a row, I did track days on it and my other half raced it for a season. Apart from an electrical problem which turned out to be the alarm and was cured the instant I junked it I never had a problem. The only reason for not having her anymore is my mate wrote her of at Snetterton. She had 85,000 on the clock. And I still miss her Crying or Very sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ninja
Caption Abuser



Joined: 22 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:06 - 07 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to extend things a bit - how about a ZX-4? hmmmm?
____________________
James
4 wheels transport the Body ... 2 wheels transport the SOUL
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mantzy
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 30 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:12 - 07 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProXimaCore wrote:
Well I can tell you that it is REALLY uncomfortable...

...I have got manuals on the bike if you ever did decide to get one. I'd probably get a VFR though just to make life a bit easier.

Believe me, I am tempted by one, all 4 bikes on this list are lovely looking (except my personal...not dislike, but more of "not as much of a like" of the NC35s styling) but will be going 60 miles commuting daily so it needs to be slightly comfortable.

N_Tart wrote:
I bought a ZXR400L brand new in '95. I used it everyday for work, I toured europe for 4 months, I did the TT 4 years in a row, I did track days on it and my other half raced it for a season. Apart from an electrical problem which turned out to be the alarm and was cured the instant I junked it I never had a problem

So it's pretty comfy then? Only reason I'd not get a Kawasaki is probably only because I've always wanted a Honda. When I was growing up whenever i thought of bikes i thought of Hondas. Now I'm older I think I should try them all really. Sachs has a Suzuki engine, could get a Kawasaki for a 400, a Yamaha for a 600 and then a Honda for the thou. Least I should have a good range then. I could then get a Hayabusa after that! Twisted Evil
____________________
Current Bikes: 2010 Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Previous Bikes: 2002 Sachs XTC, 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R, 2004 GSX-R 600 K4, 2006 Yamaha XT660X
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mantzy
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 30 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:16 - 07 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninja wrote:
Just to extend things a bit - how about a ZX-4? hmmmm?


Going to show my ignorance here. Whats the difference between the two? Not only in engine and styling but price too!

Both ZXR 400 and ZX-4s are inline 4s right and so would produce a lower middle but higher top end? Or am I completly wrong?
____________________
Current Bikes: 2010 Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Previous Bikes: 2002 Sachs XTC, 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R, 2004 GSX-R 600 K4, 2006 Yamaha XT660X
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

fazed
Korn is my hero!



Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:19 - 07 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the rvf surprisingly comfortable , if you are tall get a zxr400 L if you are average size get a NC35 , and if you're ickle get a cbr4 nc29 Thumbs Up all good bikes but i prefer the nc35 to all.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mantzy
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 30 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:26 - 07 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fazed wrote:
I found the rvf surprisingly comfortable , if you are tall get a zxr400 L if you are average size get a NC35 , and if you're ickle get a cbr4 nc29 Thumbs Up all good bikes but i prefer the nc35 to all.


Not sat on a ZXR yet. The Sachs is quite tall. I like taller bikes even though i'm only 5'9" but thats mainly due to "No-Neck Syndrome". My legs are fairly long. Many people can't touch the floor when on the Sachs but I seem to be able to. Find it quite comfy with my legs further from my chest too.
____________________
Current Bikes: 2010 Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Previous Bikes: 2002 Sachs XTC, 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R, 2004 GSX-R 600 K4, 2006 Yamaha XT660X
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

N_Tart
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 06 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:29 - 07 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZXR is pretty comfy. It seems slightly bigger than the others and as I'm 5' 10" just suited me better.
Obviously it's not as comfy as a real tourer although my mates dad found it more comfy than his ZZR1100. bizarre! Shocked
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ninja
Caption Abuser



Joined: 22 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:36 - 07 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=304716

howzat!!!

I like the eighties styling of Kawasakis so would go for the ZX4 each time - I've seen them as cheap as £500 and as pricey as £1600. Individuality Thumbs Up
____________________
James
4 wheels transport the Body ... 2 wheels transport the SOUL
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mantzy
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 30 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:49 - 07 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, i'm just dim then, seeing as I stated in my first post that I'd read Marjays post thoroughly. Looks like I've been caught out.

Think I prefer ZXRs personally, no offence
____________________
Current Bikes: 2010 Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Previous Bikes: 2002 Sachs XTC, 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R, 2004 GSX-R 600 K4, 2006 Yamaha XT660X
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ninja
Caption Abuser



Joined: 22 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:50 - 07 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha! no, I'm the dim one - I didn't realise you'd already read it . . . Thumbs Up

I'll get my coat...
____________________
James
4 wheels transport the Body ... 2 wheels transport the SOUL
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter



Joined: 01 Aug 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:35 - 07 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned both a VFR and a ZXR and had reasonable experience on the CBR4, and a quick go on an RVF, GSXR i've not touched tho was offered a go on Proxima's Wink

If I had to live with one I think I'd go for the CBR400, easy to work on, inline 4, gear driven cams mean no camchain worries, pretty torquey for a 400 and awesome handling.

VFR comes 2nd, let down by being very difficult to work on, prone to annoying problems too, like rear wheels and hubs seizing etc. It's got gear driven cams though, so is just as reliable as a CBR, despite the V configuration I personaly don't see much torque increase over the CBR, but they're both good, handling wise it's up with the CBR, stick to the road and goes where you point it. RVF is a glorified VFR and not really a bike for road use imo, it has no benefits over a VFR on the road and is twice as expensive.

ZXR is a nice bike, reliable, big for a 400 but doesn't have much go compared to the Hondas, always felt gutless and wheezy to me, yeah it's got top end speed but it seemed to take forever to get there, no immediate go. Handling was very good compared to a bigger bike, but the Hondas again seem to feel a lot better, other downside is you can't get BT090s in a 160 rear, so you'd have to fit a 150 on which is undersized for the bike. Reliability was good, they use camchains, so they need checking, but I never had a problem with mine in over 8000miles despite a perished carb rubber which was easy to sort. Head gaskets also need checking on ZXRs, they can go at any mileage, usually after 20K though, this is because ppl rev the bollocks off them. I'm assuming they do that because they need revving to go anywhere, and they make this nice Whhoooosh noise over 10k rpm.

GSXR, well can't comment really, but there's very few around in comparison to the others, and seems to be a good reason for it, most of them die. Mechanical reliability seems to be pretty poor, electrics aren't much cop either. Handling and power wise I don't know, but the ones I've seen seem to go rather well.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mantzy
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 30 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:50 - 07 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenix wrote:
If I had to live with one I think I'd go for the CBR400, easy to work on, inline 4, gear driven cams mean no camchain worries, pretty torquey for a 400 and awesome handling.

Tried one out for size and found my knees up by my armpits. It was standing right next to a VFR so jumped from bike to bike to test and it definately felt smaller. Seat was lower too.
____________________
Current Bikes: 2010 Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Previous Bikes: 2002 Sachs XTC, 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R, 2004 GSX-R 600 K4, 2006 Yamaha XT660X
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ProXimaCore
Dougal



Joined: 01 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:49 - 07 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mantzy wrote:
Tried one out for size and found my knees up by my armpits. It was standing right next to a VFR so jumped from bike to bike to test and it definately felt smaller. Seat was lower too.

All the easier for knee down then. Smile

Aye, my GSXR definetely isn't very reliable. It was pretty well for the first few months I owned it. It's back to being reasonably healthy again now though. I suspect the oil burning problem has been there from when the last owner had it and I've foolishly bought it. Sad
____________________
Honda NSR125R -> Suzuki GSXR400R GK76a -> Kawasaki ZX636 B1H -> Honda CBR400RR NC29 -> Nothing Sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 22 years, 3 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.79 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 103.15 Kb