|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Jay99 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Jay99 Two Stroke Sniffer
Joined: 31 Aug 2011 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 00:09 - 27 May 2012 Post subject: 17 soon and need advice on a motorbike. |
 |
|
Hello. I need a motorbike to get me to and from sixth form + work. Getting a bus is too slow and has recently got very expensive. Cycling is not an option as there is a large hill getting to town and I get tired when I'm there. I was going to get a moped but I don't want to sound stupid and get blown off it. I was going to get a moped last year but I thought why not wait till I'm 17 and get the real thing. I also know that something is happening in 2013/14 which will prevent me from getting a licence so I thought why not get it done asap.
I also thought about getting a car but due to the astronomical cost of insurance, tax, driving lessons, the theory test, practical and the car itself (never mind the MOT, service, fuel and breakdown cover) I knew that it wasn't going to be an option.
So I'm going to get a motorbike. I'll look cool, get the girls ( ) and get there in style while being economical and quick.
I do want to ask one thing before getting started, if I'm wearing leather cycling boots, jacket, trousers and helmet how long does it take to get it all off? Is it waterproof and will it all end up creasing my clothes?
Right, how much will everything cost? I can get a provisional and do my CBT all for £150 but what do I do after that, will I need to do a theory test and then practice and take some motorcycle exam + get started or is it completely different? I'm pretty clueless here.
How much does the training and exam cost?
What CC will I be able to ride at 17? Is there a limit?
How much will a decent bike at the specified CC limit cost?
On average how long does it take to practice, learn and pass the exam take?
How much is the MOT, tax and breakdown cover going to cost me?
Will the insurance cost a lot because I'm 17 on a motorbike? As long as its cheaper than a car then I'm good.
If it ends up being too expensive and takes ages, I'll get myself a 125cc moped.
Thanks guys and sorry for all the questions! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| alex965 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 alex965 Scooby Slapper

Joined: 01 Apr 2012 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 03:28 - 27 May 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
Try to be careful about asking vague or obvious questions on here, some may scold you for it. You'll find that there are answers to many of your questions waiting for you in google. But I'm relatively new here too so I'll give you a break and try to help.
Ok, at 17 you are limited to 125cc's of roar power, no motorways, no passengers; and big fat L plates front and rear. As for how much a decent one will cost. How long is a piece of string? There are endless different bikes in the 125 category so it's hard to say. Upwards of £600 will get you an old Japanese bike in serviceable condition, you might find one for even less than that. It really depends on what your idea of a decent bike is. My advice would be to look on ad sites like gumtree and ebay, look at the different 125's on offer, check the prices, read the reviews etc.
I'm sure someone will be along shortly to explain the new licence laws coming in next year better than I can.
To get out on a 125 with L plates you need your cbt and a provisional licence. Obviously budget in insurance/tax etc. If you want to get a bigger engined bike or just lose the L plates and be allowed to go on motorways or take pillions, at the moment you will have to take a theory test, module one practical and then module two practical. There is a new biker thread on getting your full licence in this forum that explains it in much more detail.
Tax on a 125 for a year is £15. mot is usually around £30 as long as it doesn't need work doing to it. As for breakdown cover, I don't know.
Insurance wise, you are looking at a fraction of the cost of a car. The going rate for a four stroke commuter for a noobie 17 year old with 0ncb third party fire and theft seems to be around the £400 a year mark. Although for the sportier bikes it can be over £1000. As for training and exam after cbt. Theory around £30 Mod 1 £15 Mod 2 £75 (I think). There is no given length of time it takes someone to learn to ride before they do their full test, it's all down to you.
As for what bikes to look at you'll find the consensus on here is that for cheap, reliable transport that teaches you the basics of biking whilst getting you your money back when you sell them, you can't go wrong with bikes the "CG125 YBR125 CBF125" All well known japanese brand bikes that have a good track record. They are plain looking and hardly fast compared to bigger bikes but for what they are they are brilliant. Oh and hint, DON'T BUT CHINESE UNLESS YOU'RE HANDY WITH THE SPANNERS AND WANT TO USE YOUR BREAKDOWN COVER AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE.
As for your jacket and trousers etc. When you haven't listed what the jacket and trousers are made of and whether they were intended to be waterproof no-one can possibly tell you whether you will be dry in the rain. Same point applies to how long it would take to get changed.
That is all, good luck and welcome to the forum  ____________________ Passed A2 licence 19th Dec '14. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Efes123 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Efes123 World Chat Champion

Joined: 08 Sep 2011 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 07:39 - 27 May 2012 Post subject: Re: 17 soon and need advice on a motorbike. |
 |
|
You really should learn to use the search button. Most of your questions have already been answerd, hundreds of times. However, the sun is shining, and I've woken up in a good mood so...
| Jay99 wrote: | Hello. I need a motorbike to get me to and from sixth form + work. Getting a bus is too slow and has recently got very expensive. Cycling is not an option as there is a large hill getting to town and I get tired when I'm there. I was going to get a moped but I don't want to sound stupid and get blown off it. I was going to get a moped last year but I thought why not wait till I'm 17 and get the real thing. I also know that something is happening in 2013/14 which will prevent me from getting a licence so I thought why not get it done asap. |
Wrong, it won't stop you getting a licence, it will just take more tests and more time.
There will be 3 tests; A1(125cc), A2(at least 395cc), and A(unrestricted) To take the A2 you'll need to be 19, and to take the unrestricted you'll need to be 21.
You can check out the new rules here;
https://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/DG_201188
and here;
https://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/LearnerAndNewDrivers/PracticalTest/DG_201147
| Jay99 wrote: | I do want to ask one thing before getting started, if I'm wearing leather cycling boots, jacket, trousers and helmet how long does it take to get it all off? Is it waterproof and will it all end up creasing my clothes? |
Takes me about 5 minutes, but really does depend on what you're wearing.
| Jay99 wrote: | Right, how much will everything cost? |
CBT - between £100 & £150 dpendant on company. I'd suggest looking for one that guarentees a certificate at no extra cost. Take notice of all the things you do on the CBT. When doing the tests, you be repeating all the things you did on your CBT.
Theory - £31. You can take this now, or after your CBT, but you must take it before your MOD1
MOD1 - £15.50. Most people find this the hardest of the two practicle tests. There is shedloads of information both on BCF and the internet hon how to pass this. Personally, I found the following very useful;
https://lightningpass.com/how-fail-your-test-1
and
https://www.mcita.co.uk/downloads_temp/969fa4e9-4a7b-43ec-b2de-b59407cfcc63_Imported_File.PDF
Plus, lots of YouTube videos.
MOD2 - £75. This is just a half hour ride around the streets. As long as you rode safely you should pass this. I past first time with only 2 minors (both for swan-necking).
Job Done! Total test costs £121.5 plus your CBT, so between £221 an £271. Now you need to decide how your going to do this; on your own, or through a school.
Booking a course with a training company that's a DAS for 125s, the cost for this varies greatly, but I'd budget between £400 and £800.
Or, do it on your own with just the test costs. You're going to have to buy a 125 which ever way you do it, as you're going to need transport. This can cost anywhere between £200 and several thousands of pounds. However, you need to get a bike that'll get you through the tests, so that as alex965 suggests; probably one of these; CG125 YBR125. What ever you pay for it, you'll get back when you sell it, and it'll probably fund you 33bhp bike.
Anyhow, after you've done the above you'll have a restricted license that'll allow you to ride up to 33bhp. After two years you'll be able to ride anything you want. The sun is calling, and I'm now thinking about lobbing on my gear and going for a nice long relaxing ride. ____________________ Honda Goldwing GL 1000 Current love
Honda VT500 ED - SOLD
Projects Suzuki GS125 Done, then stolen - Kawasaki GPX750R SOLD - Honda VF750S SOLD |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rogerborg |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rogerborg nimbA

Joined: 26 Oct 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 09:51 - 27 May 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
Good stuff. Well, you need a CBT, so get one booked ASAP. That'll answer a lot of your questions.
As to getting a 125, I'm guessing that you'll be constrained by budget. A good example of any bike with a year's MOT will serve you better than a poor example of a "reliable" bike. At this time of year, with this weather, if you take the time to ask "Should I get this bike?" then someone else will buy it while you're waiting for the answer. Keep your budget handy in cash, and get in quickly.
Just make sure that whatever you get is listed as an "A2" bike on this list.
Gear, well, it depends. If you need anything else, then bag some bargains on eBay or Gumtree.
Insurance entirely depends on you and your circumstances. Get onto https://www.thebikeinsurer.co.uk/ and get a quote on (e.g.) a Honda CG or Yamaha YBR 125, see if you can stand it. ____________________ Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Jay99 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Jay99 Two Stroke Sniffer
Joined: 31 Aug 2011 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| sidewinder |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 sidewinder World Chat Champion

Joined: 24 Aug 2011 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 10:28 - 27 May 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
Hi jay
Looks like you've got it in one. Regarding your question on bikes for your training most training schools will provide bikes and kit for you to use in the price of the course you choose to do.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Efes123 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Efes123 World Chat Champion

Joined: 08 Sep 2011 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 10:38 - 27 May 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Jay99 wrote: | So basically I get my provisional, do my CBT, then wait until I'm 17 do the Theory test (by the way can I do this before I'm 17?) |
No. You can only do a 50cc CBT at 16, you'll need to do another one for the 125. So, do your CBT & Theory when you're 17.
| Jay99 wrote: | do the A restricted exams before January 13, get the 33hp restriction then wait two years until I'm 19 and ride anything I want until I'm old with no restrictions. |
Yes, sort of. All the tests are the same, it's just what bike you do them on. When you take your tests on a 125 you get a full motorbike license that is restricted to 33bhp for 2 years.
| Jay99 wrote: | So the DAS course does not apply to me because I'm not 21 and over and have no restrictions when I'm 19. |
Yes. You need to be 21 to do the DAS currently. Next year it goes up to 24.
| Jay99 wrote: | I will also be doing the A restricted with a school as I won't be able to get any practice after my CBT as I'll have to wait until I get a 125 as there's no point getting a 50cc to practice yet. I also want to get straight on with the A as I have read the rush to beat the Jan 13 deadline and many schools will be booked when the deadline date gets closer e.t.c. |
Pretty much. But, you'll still have to wait till your 17 to do the courses. You may be better off just waiting till your 17, then doing a complete course with a school. There's no reason you can't book your course now for when you're 17. Most schools do a DAS like course for 125s, it's the same training, and the same tests.
| Jay99 wrote: | By the way if I did my A restricted at a school, could they provide (or let me hire) a bike to sit the course and then an exam as I don't really need to buy a 125. I could finish the test and then buy something that is 33hp, would this be possible or will I have to get a 125 ad insure/tax it for that purpose and then sell it off? |
See above. I suppose a lot is going to depend on when you're 17. If it's fairly soon, then you could do your CBT, buy a 125, get some experience on the roads, then book your MODs (£90.50).
If you're not 17 until later in the year, then a school is probably the best way to go. You can expect to pay around £600 on average for the complete course, give or take £200. ____________________ Honda Goldwing GL 1000 Current love
Honda VT500 ED - SOLD
Projects Suzuki GS125 Done, then stolen - Kawasaki GPX750R SOLD - Honda VF750S SOLD |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| J.M. |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 J.M. World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Mar 2011 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Efes123 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Efes123 World Chat Champion

Joined: 08 Sep 2011 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Jay99 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Jay99 Two Stroke Sniffer
Joined: 31 Aug 2011 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 11:49 - 27 May 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
I've found the place! I can do a CBT with a geared 50cc bike (most of the places don't!) next Wednesday so I'll be prepared for the real thing in October because the 125 will be a geared one.
Its a 3 day mix and match course so I can do 2 days training for Module 1 and take the test, and maybe 1 day on module 2 because it looks easier. I'll then take the tests at a day I choose.
£399 and the geared bike is included, with the test fees and all the gear included too. sounds like a good deal so all together It will cost me £499 + CBT.
If I do pass it, I can buy a 33 hp bike right away for about £500 - 600 and pay the insurance in monthly instalments.
I'm not sure if 3 days will be enough though, and extra lessons are £70 and if I don't pass I'll end up throwing money down the drain! I'm going to shop around and get something which has more lessons. I will be doing figures of 8 and going around cones on my mountain bike and doing everything I can really because I'm buying a proper bike after the modules are done to save myself money.
Good call or should I buy myself a 50cc and sell it on just for the practice?
Thanks guys |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rogerborg |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rogerborg nimbA

Joined: 26 Oct 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 15:52 - 27 May 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
Hmm. If you buy a 50 then you'll be able to see it for pretty much what you paid for it. However, you may find that you won't be able to switch bikes on the insurance to anything bigger, which means cancelling, losing any partial NCD and getting little or nothing back from the policy.
Actually, the same applies to a 125 - if you do buy one, check that the underwriter will let you switch to something bigger. Get it in writing!
It's a tough call, but you're going to be pushed for time. If you've got the budget then you might be better off getting a geared ped now, riding it around for a bit then going for your tests as soon as you turn 17, whichever route you go after then. ____________________ Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| TamaJosh |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 TamaJosh Nova Slayer

Joined: 08 May 2012 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Paris2 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Paris2 Nearly there...

Joined: 10 Apr 2011 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Jay99 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Jay99 Two Stroke Sniffer
Joined: 31 Aug 2011 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 18:23 - 29 May 2012 Post subject: Re: 17 soon and need advice on a motorbike. |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rogerborg |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rogerborg nimbA

Joined: 26 Oct 2010 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Paris2 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Paris2 Nearly there...

Joined: 10 Apr 2011 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 20:31 - 29 May 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
Where do you live? Out of curiosity, as there is a college up a hill about 1.5miles away from me
And whilst I'm on the subject, 1.5 miles away, that's about 10minutes on a push bike. That will surely take no longer than a few minutes of a motorbike. ____________________ Current Ride: Daytona 600 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Jay99 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Jay99 Two Stroke Sniffer
Joined: 31 Aug 2011 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Paris2 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Paris2 Nearly there...

Joined: 10 Apr 2011 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 14 years, 137 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|