Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


RS125 advice

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

ian_s
Nova Slayer



Joined: 20 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:19 - 06 Oct 2004    Post subject: RS125 advice Reply with quote

Hi guys, apologies for the long post but am trying to answer a few questions in one go. I am likely to be purchasing a RS125 on Saturday and was wondering what a low mileage imported 1998 RS125R was worth? Additionally how much could I pick up decent fairings for (I was thinking of using ebay)?

The whole story is that I am buying it off a friend, for what I consider way below it's market value. The fairings are really tatty as it has fallen off it's stand. My friend has offered to replace the fairings but I know he is too lazy to actually do it. As far as I am concerned scrappy fairings are a plus as I am still likely to drop it as I have only been riding two months and am damn short. I will just stick on decent fairings when I chose to sell it.

Reliability wise I trust the guy completley. He is only lazy when it comes to cosmetics, mechanically the bike has been very well looked after and had a rebuild about 1000 miles ago.

As for the cost of ownership as long as I warm it up properly before thrashing it and change the rings once every 6k I believe it should be reliable? Is it best to warm it slightly before riding it and then take it easy for a few miles? I am likely to use the rev's a bit but won't give it that much of a thrashing!

Cheers for any advice.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:23 - 07 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The price is a bit of a "how long is a piece of string" question. Probably a normal price for a tatty RS would be around £1000. Fairing prices are truly frightening new. However send Craig_ a PM as I think he might have some for sale.

The RS does need looking after. Personally I would start the engine and ride off immediatly, but keep below 5000rpm until the engine is properly up to temperature. Be aware that they tend to reach running temperature and then drop again (when the thermostat first opens).

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ian_s
Nova Slayer



Joined: 20 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:02 - 07 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for that. If anyone else is selling fairings for a RS125 feel free to PM me.

Sold my first bike today, didn't drop it once. Quite surprised the guy didn't even want to start it before loading it into the van! Don't worry it was cash on delivery. I think he bought it because of the paint job (like I did). However I then started to freak out about how much money I would lose if/when I dropped it and decided to sell it!

Should now be picking the RS up on Saturday. My friend offered the bike to me for £1k with new fairings on it. He was hoping on picking up some fairings for about £200. We have not discussed the price without the fairings but the maths looks fairly simple! Might be able to take his gear off him as well - his wife has told him if he flogs his bike he can buy a Lotus Exige!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Keith
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:29 - 07 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check here for fairings off Craig. (He runs the forum, incase your not already a member.)

Not exactly cheap, but might be worth a look. If not, ebay is your friend. Smile
____________________
Aprilia RSV Mille R Edwards Replica - Aprilia RS250 - Suzuki GSXR600 Supersport Race Bike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 22 years, 4 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.06 Sec - Server Load: 0.18 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 42.05 Kb