|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Nick_Giles |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Nick_Giles Could Be A Chat Bot

Joined: 01 Jan 2012 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 12:06 - 05 Jun 2012 Post subject: ER5 Emulsified oil ............ Then Not.?? |
 |
|
Bit of a mystery here to me that others may be able to cast some light on for me. (Bit of a story but bare with me.)
On Sunday I had been out on my bike to a mate of mines who lives in Mobberley which is about 15 miles from me. On the way back the heavens opened with rain.
During the last mile or so of the journey the engine misfires a dozen or so times. Did not think too much of it and put it down to being an oldish bike and something electrical getting wet.
Sunday night and the weather forecast says it's going to be fine in the morning. I decide on a whim that I shall get up early and go and visit some friends in Abersoch, North Wales for a couple of days on the bike. So set off to a local garage to fill it with petrol ready for a good start in the morning.
Riding it there and back from the petrol station it does a few misfires again.! (not raining now)
Decide when I get back to also check the oil. ( which was changed about 200 miles ago with Castrol) ........... Horror of horrors the oil sight glass is full of emulsified oil.! ....... "Oh f()()k"
Its dark and I decide that perhaps its was not a good idea to ride it to Abersoch the following morning.
I spend the rest of the evening convincing myself at best its a water pump seal or worst a head gasket.
Morning time arrives and I decide its time to investigate. Start the bike and there is a little bit of white smoke. Not a lot but noticeable. So its off with the petrol tank (always fun on an ER5 at the best of times but I now have a full one. ) So I can check the coolant.
I am pleasantly surprised that the coolant is full. i.e. none appears to have been gobbled up into the engine. Restart the engine and give it some revs with the coolant filler cap off. It all stays in and does not flood out like it would do if it was being pressurised by a bad head gasket. (I know not a 100% test) While I have the side panels off I also check the air box. Its as clean as a virgins snatch.
I am now encouraged that the previous nights worries in my imagination are possibly unfounded. So I put the bike back together.
I then pull some oil from the sump with a syringe and a thin tube. Its clear and clean. But the sight glass is still caked emulsified oil.
I warm the bike properly and check the radiator is getting hot and the fan kicks in ok. Shrug my shoulders and decide to see how it goes.
Girlfriend then phones and asks can we go for a ride on 'That nice winding road' What she really means is a trip to the 'Cat and Fiddle' on the Horse Shoe Pass. Her on my old CG and me on the ER5. So we do.
When I get up there the oil and sight glass is super clear. And its been fine since.
So, what could have caused my original concern and are further investigations into possible doom and gloom required.?
Nick ____________________ Peter Cook: "I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly". |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Casper |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Casper World Chat Champion
Joined: 12 Jul 2010 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Pie-Roe |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Pie-Roe World Chat Champion

Joined: 05 Feb 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 12:54 - 05 Jun 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
If you've been doing lots of short trips water has built up in the oil, by doing a long trip up to proper temperatures, you've driven off all the water. ____________________ Previous: GSF600, FZR600 x2, ZXR750, XT600 Tenere, CB125, CZ125, ETZ 250, ER5, CCM R30, DRZ400, RF600x4, RF900x2, GS500, VTR1000F, 640 SMC, CB250 NIGHTHAWK, GT550x3, GPX750 TE610, CB500, X11x2, SV650, ZING 125, TL1000R,CB250 Superdream, CBR1100XX |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Taught2BCauti... |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Taught2BCauti... World Chat Champion

Joined: 12 Jan 2012 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 13:09 - 05 Jun 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
When the weather is cool and the bike is used for short runs, the engine oil doesn't get hot enough to boil-off any condensation.
When the weather is warmer and the bike is used for longer runs, the engine oil can get to over 100 degrees - hot enough to boil-off any water that may have gotten in there.
Check your breather hoses, and any pipes that are neither fuel or water, going to carbs and air filter. ____________________ Honda Varadero XL125(V8)
www.TheFutureIsHere.eu |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| jimspeed |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 jimspeed World Chat Champion

Joined: 05 Mar 2010 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Nick_Giles |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Nick_Giles Could Be A Chat Bot

Joined: 01 Jan 2012 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 22:33 - 06 Jun 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
Thanks for the replies guys.
I will just keep an eye on things for a few weeks.
Nick ____________________ Peter Cook: "I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly". |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| TGB |
This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
|
 TGB Two Stroke Sniffer
Joined: 08 Jun 2012 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| mysterious_rider |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 mysterious_rider World Chat Champion

Joined: 11 Sep 2010 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 18:46 - 09 Jun 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
Happens a lot with my zzr. Its full of white stuff on the window but after a good run she's clean as. Did an oil change a while back and it's all dandy.
Just take it for a good long spirited run.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Howling TerrorOutOfOffice |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Howling TerrorOutOfOffice Super Spammer

Joined: 05 Dec 2008 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 14 years, 119 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|