Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


ZZR1100 D5 soggy suspension

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Turnwise
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 01 Apr 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:03 - 16 Jun 2012    Post subject: ZZR1100 D5 soggy suspension Reply with quote

So, seems my lovely ZZR1100 D5 needs some attention paid to the suspension.

Firstly - the front fork - the right hand one has a slightly weepy oil seal - I will get the seals replaced by a bike shop in Edinburgh that has come highly recommended, and I will chat to them about oil etc and maybe go for a slightly heavier oil to firm the front up a bit.

I also intend to fiddle with the settings on the front fork - I'm a big chap - 6'6" - need to firm them up - at the moment on the outer adjuster there are 5 or 6 rings showing - I've been advised to wind them right in so only 1 or 2 rings showing - thoughts?


Now, the rear shock - it's set to 4 - and that's the only adjustable setting on it as far as I can tell??

It's sitting pretty low when I compare it to other bikes - I'm thinking it needs a new shock (it's a P reg bike and as far as I know it's the original shock..) - I wonder what's out there that could replace it?? Is there a standard shock fitted to other bikes that are more adjustable, and would fit the ZZR1100?? I would maybe be able to source such an item from a good breakers I know of - that would certainly be cheaper than buying a new shock...

If I do have to go down the new shock route, what are the best aftermarket ones? Has to be a good trade off between performance, adjustment range, and cost...

Finally, I was recommended to fit slightly longer 'dog bone' links to the base of the shock, to lift the back a bit more... thoughts?

Cheers!!

Mike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Stonefly
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 17 Jul 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:49 - 16 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure someone will correct me if i am wrong, but i am pretty sure that to raise the back end, you need shorter dog bones, not longer ones.

Try looking for a rear shock from ZZR1200. I think they fit straight on. I have a 1200 rear shock on my ZZR600 and its a massive improvement over the stock unit.
____________________
Current......Kawasaki ZZR1200 C2H and Kawasaki ZZR600 E7
Previous....Yamaha FS1E, Honda SS50, Suzuki AP50, BSA Bantam D14, Honda CD175, Honda CB250N, Kawasaki Z250A3, Yamaha RD250E, Kawasaki Z400, Kawasaki Z500, Kawasaki GPz550, Honda NTV600, Kawasaki GT750, Kawasaki Z1000R, Kawasaki GPX250
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

temeluchus
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:03 - 16 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hagon will supply shocks suited to your weight for a small fee over the off the shelf unit.
____________________
Some shite cruiser. Now with guns and FREEDOM!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Turnwise
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 01 Apr 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:17 - 16 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found a local breaker with a rear shock from a ZZR1400 - any ideas if that'll fit???
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Stonefly
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 17 Jul 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:23 - 16 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea, but i would suspect not as the 1400 is a totally different bike to the 1100 and 1200, which do share a few bits and pieces.
____________________
Current......Kawasaki ZZR1200 C2H and Kawasaki ZZR600 E7
Previous....Yamaha FS1E, Honda SS50, Suzuki AP50, BSA Bantam D14, Honda CD175, Honda CB250N, Kawasaki Z250A3, Yamaha RD250E, Kawasaki Z400, Kawasaki Z500, Kawasaki GPz550, Honda NTV600, Kawasaki GT750, Kawasaki Z1000R, Kawasaki GPX250
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Turnwise
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 01 Apr 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:47 - 16 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers - suspect you may be right!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 107 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 2.25 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 48.34 Kb