|
|
| Author |
Message |
| BakesBeans |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 BakesBeans Spanner Monkey
Joined: 14 Aug 2012 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 23:03 - 14 Aug 2012 Post subject: New biker, just passed DAS.. still very nervous |
 |
|
Hi all, I'm new...
I just completed my direct access course and now have bought myself a VFR400 NC30 bike. The reason being is it's small, like me, and not stupidly powerful.
However, I'll admit, I'm bloody scared of it. I've only done 80miles, and haven't got above 65mph yet... I've only been out on it once so far.
I learn't on an ER5, which I got to 80mph but with no fairing I didn't feel comfortable going faster.
So, how long did it take you new riders until you're happy doing 100mph?
I'm starting to think maybe I should have got a Yam Fazer or something. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| dungbug |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 dungbug Could Be A Chat Bot

Joined: 05 Feb 2012 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 23:16 - 14 Aug 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
Just take youur time fella & ride for yourself, there's no benchmark that says you should be doing x speed after x amount of weeks from passing your test. The first few times I took the Thundercat out I rode to the speed limits, I've opened her up a few times but ride to how I feel comfortable.......Which is usually just keeping up with the traffic and sticking to speed limits, took me bloody long enough to get a license so I don't want to lose it.
The VFR400 seems like a nice bike, just enjoy it and ride in a way that you feel comfortable & in control. Faster speed riding will come in time when you're used to the bike and got some miles under ya belt I reckon.
Oh & congrats on passing your tests! Ride safe.  ____________________ CBT: Pass 25/06/2011 Theory Test: Pass12/06/2012 Mod 1: Fail 08/07/2012
Mod 1 Retest: Pass 15/0702012 Mod 2: Pass 03/08/2012
Suzuki GN125 (Sold) ~ Current bike: Yamaha YZF 600R Thundercat |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| BakesBeans |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 BakesBeans Spanner Monkey
Joined: 14 Aug 2012 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Pete. |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Pete. Super Spammer

Joined: 22 Aug 2006 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 00:15 - 15 Aug 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
The VFR isn't a very powerful bike but it does have quite strong low-down torque for it's size which can make the delivery a bit harsh for the novice. The weight being very biased towards the front doesn't make it ideal for learning either, though many people have had one for a first bike. Just keep your elbows bent and relax your grip on the bars.
If you had a bike with a more natural seating position you'd find it a lot easier to build your confidence, but you'll still get there on the NC30. ____________________ a.k.a 'Geri'
132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Andy_Pagin |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Andy_Pagin World Chat Champion

Joined: 08 Nov 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 00:42 - 15 Aug 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
I've got a Fazer 600 and it goes like a rocket!
However It's all in the right wrist, just take it easy and slowly build your confidence, you really only start the process of learning to ride a big bike once you've passed the tests, getting really proficient takes a few hundred miles.
We all have an "oh shiiit" moment where we aim for position three and the bike decides position zero would be nice, It's just one of the rights of passage to becoming a real biker.  ____________________ They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa, hey-hey,
the men in white coats are coming to take me away.
Yamaha Vity -> YBR125 -> FZS600 Fazer -> FZ1-S Fazer |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Billo63 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Billo63 Crazy Courier

Joined: 02 Jul 2012 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 09:55 - 15 Aug 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
As a recently passed rider I see exactly where you're coming from.
On my er5 I plod along with the traffic conditions dictating how I ride, so it's great for confidence building.
However, on my zzr I do ride it in a differing manner, it's probably that extra power that gives me a + when overtaking, filtering etc:
But everyone rides different & you will build up not only confidence, but also knowledge each time you ride.
Just remember that throttles work both ways & the rest will take care of itself as you go.
And as for been 31 - you're only a pup mate so absolutely no rush to cram everything in too soon.
As I was rightly told by my instructor after passing mod 2 " Right you've got your licence - now the learning really starts ".
Ride safe & enjoy  ____________________ I might not be a gynecologist, but I know a cunt when I see one |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rogerborg |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rogerborg nimbA

Joined: 26 Oct 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 10:02 - 15 Aug 2012 Post subject: Re: New biker, just passed DAS.. still very nervous |
 |
|
| BakesBeans wrote: | So, how long did it take you new riders until you're happy doing 100mph? |
On UK roads? In UK traffic? With my reputation.
Biking is a pleasure activity for many of us, so go at whatever speed makes you happy. You don't win points or level up for seeing 3 digits.
| BakesBeans wrote: | I'm starting to think maybe I should have got a Yam Fazer or something. |
GPZ 500.
No, really. Small, neat, pretty much an ER-5 but with a half fairing and screen and a bit more go. Cheap as chips to buy, run and insure, plenty of parts: what's not to like? ____________________ Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Islander |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Islander World Chat Champion

Joined: 05 Aug 2012 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 12:30 - 15 Aug 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
Pretty much what everyone else has said really. It's not a competition so ignore the knee/elbow/ear 'ole down bullshit.
There's no rush to ride quickly, rather concentrate on riding smoothly and safely at a speed you feel comfortable with and getting your observation right. You'll soon build confidence that way and the rest will follow  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Islander |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Islander World Chat Champion

Joined: 05 Aug 2012 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| shereen |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 shereen World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Mar 2011 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 12:42 - 15 Aug 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| BakesBeans |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 BakesBeans Spanner Monkey
Joined: 14 Aug 2012 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Nick 50 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Nick 50 World Chat Champion

Joined: 24 Jul 2011 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 20:45 - 15 Aug 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
Like others have said, confidence will come with time and experience. There is no hurry and you will build your confidence as you continue to learn.
You'll probably find that you'll quickly get to stage where you are unaware just how fast you are going till you look down and then go "Oh 5hit.......". Then you'll wonder what all the fuss was about in your head.  ____________________ Current Bikes: ZX7r 97 (Black Beauty), VFR400 NC24 (The banana)
Previous Bikes: Aprilia Tuono 03 (The Beast), CBR600f (97)
First bike: A GZ125 Lemon....... |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Cunnington |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Cunnington Spanner Monkey

Joined: 01 Jun 2011 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 21:27 - 15 Aug 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
Why are you fixating on how fast you get up to? As long as you are keeping up with traffic for now, you're doing fine.
Try to get as many miles under your belt as you can, and you will begin to get to know your bike and how it responds eg. once you get used to the acceleration, you will become more confident in overtakes.
It is early days - you have years of biking ahead of you.
Well done for getting your licence, and enjoy the experience. ____________________ '82 C50, '81 CB100, '84 GS125, '95 NTV650, '00 Bandit 600, '06 SV650, '56 Z1000, '89 NTV600
The Shaggy D.A. wrote: "You are invisible. Those who can see you are trying to kill you." |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| BakesBeans |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 BakesBeans Spanner Monkey
Joined: 14 Aug 2012 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 20:54 - 16 Aug 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
Your right, it was just my concern of not keeping up with moving traffic.
I hit 15k revs today in first, and fooook me... it's a little pocket rocket. It kind of turned me on a bit  ____________________ Current: Kawasaki ZX636
Previous Bike: Honda CBR600F ABS, Yamaha XJ6 F Diversion ABS, Honda VFR400 NC30 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Skudd |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Skudd Super Spammer

Joined: 01 Oct 2006 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 21:42 - 16 Aug 2012 Post subject: Re: New biker, just passed DAS.. still very nervous |
 |
|
| BakesBeans wrote: | Hi all, I'm new...
I just completed my direct access course and now have bought myself a VFR400 NC30 bike. The reason being is it's small, like me, and not stupidly powerful.
However, I'll admit, I'm bloody scared of it. I've only done 80miles, and haven't got above 65mph yet... I've only been out on it once so far.
I learn't on an ER5, which I got to 80mph but with no fairing I didn't feel comfortable going faster.
So, how long did it take you new riders until you're happy doing 100mph?
I'm starting to think maybe I should have got a Yam Fazer or something. |
Alot of of us went through the 50cc-125cc=250cc=750cc=1000++++cc so it was a gradual thing getting quicker on bigger bikes. So don't worry, just do it bit by bit.
But there is no substitute for time on a bike, the more miles and the more time on a bike the better you will become. Choose somewhere to go that you haven't been to or that you have always wanted to go to and go, think about the place and not about the riding and soon you ill be wizzing around like the rest of us. ____________________ Famous last words of Humpty Dumpty. " Stop pushing me "
Petty Anarchists look at "1984".............. The Visionary looks at "Animal Farm". |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| _matt |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 _matt Trackday Trickster

Joined: 08 Jun 2012 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Billo63 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Billo63 Crazy Courier

Joined: 02 Jul 2012 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 10:07 - 19 Aug 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
As I only obtained my licence very recently I am still very much finding my feet too.
Yesterday for example on my zed I went on what is known around these parts as "the rabbit run" - basically a very decent long stretch of road between 2 counties etc:etc:
In first 30 mins or so I found myself knocking the power off everytime I was hitting bends or cornering etc, as I wasn't sure of myself hitting them at speed. I was soon finding that cagers were getting right up on me & began to understand that I needed to try & maintain a constant speed through these as best I could.
So I started to lean the bike more & discovered that it was a much smoother operation & had no trilby brigade up my exhaust.
I did this continously for the remainder of the ride - an hour or so in total & it was like a whole new experience, a learning "curve" - no pun intended. In the few weeks I've had my bike(s) this is by far the most adventurous I've been, but realised I could soon get out of my depth & come to regret been a clever fooker.
It's all about time spent riding to me, learning something new only comes from experience & as for speed, I've topped 70/75 & for now that's plenty for me.  ____________________ I might not be a gynecologist, but I know a cunt when I see one |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| PiercedMrsP |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 PiercedMrsP Two Stroke Sniffer

Joined: 18 Aug 2012 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 13:43 - 19 Aug 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
I'm with _Matt, speed isn't everything (I too am a cruiser rider). Although I haven't passed my test yet (fingers crossed for the next 2 weeks) I do have well over 9000 miles under my belt on my 125 since getting her in june last year so I'm pretty confident on the road. I know most people don't rack that sort of mileage up before passing their test and I'm guessing the OP is one of that majority.
Hubbs and I have intentionally subjected me to properly long rides on a wide variety of roads and weather conditions precisely so that I have confidence for my bigger bike when I pass (I've an 1100 shadow waiting for me). I was incredibly nervous when I first started out - my CBT tuition wasn't very good looking back so I had no confidence in what I was doing, but I think even if it had been ok I'd still have been nervous. What has built my confidence is all the experience I have gained since. I ride almost everyday and that built my confidence not only in my own ability to control the bike but in dealing with other road users.
Ironically the biggest confidence boost for me was hiring a baby Shadow in Lanzarote. I realised that actually if I can ride safely on an unfamiliar bike on the wrong side of the road in a country I don't know I'm probably an ok rider and that tangibly made me a better, more confident rider back in Blighty.
As others have said, there is absolutely no substitute for experience. If you're nervous then for the first few trips stick to quieter roads on routes you know so you're not worrying about getting lost. As your confidence builds don't stick to "easy" roads - challenge yourself a little bit but in a sensible way. Go for different routes with more challenging traffic conditions. That doesn't mean faster! I reckon town riding with heavy traffic, lots of traffic lights, crossings, etc is much more difficult than bombing down a dual carriageway or country road. If its just speed you want then maybe try a track day.
Hubbs gave me a good bit of advice yesterday as I said I was nervous about getting on a 500 tomorrow for my DAS course - don't be scared of the bike because you'll only freeze up, make mistakes and get worked up (he knows me so well). You control how fast it goes, when it goes, where it goes and when it stops. If all else fails, I can give you the details of the hire company in Lanzarote lol
Having said that I am definitely no expert and most definitely will be seriously bricking it the first time I get on that 1100 beast and head down a motorway slip road...  ____________________ Can sadly no longer be seen tearing up the road on my Honda Shadow 1100 ACE as she was stolen by thieving scum on 3/7/13.
Now the proud owner of a Suzuki VL800 Volusia and a huge Almax security chain  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| P.addy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 P.addy Red Rocket
Joined: 14 Feb 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 14:20 - 19 Aug 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
The VFR400 is a fantastic little bike, its more than capable in a newbies hands Handles like its on rails! Rev it loads, you'll love it!
I passed my test in 2007, carried on with 125s for a year then got a GS500, the speed difference was mental and I just wanted to go go go! Took it down the motorway in the dark and just pinned it!  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| BakesBeans |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 BakesBeans Spanner Monkey
Joined: 14 Aug 2012 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 19:37 - 19 Aug 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
I'd thought I'd give a little update, I've now done 400miles on her and feel much more confident. I agree about the speed issue, but what worries me more is having cars queued up behind me. Especially as cars perceive me to be the fastest thing on the road with that bike - when I'm not.
I did 200miles yesterday, and had lots of breaks. I find my hands and back get tired, so need those breaks.
I need more confidence with corners, and I agree with that Billo says - I need to maintain my speed around corners - corners where I would happily go round fast in a car.
I also did my first filtering too... But you really have to hammer it when it goes green, else the car drivers get miffed. I surprised how many bikers filter with no gap/exit plan, just expect to push in at the front.
I'd go out today, but I've ate far to much at a BBQ. ____________________ Current: Kawasaki ZX636
Previous Bike: Honda CBR600F ABS, Yamaha XJ6 F Diversion ABS, Honda VFR400 NC30 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rogue_Shadow |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rogue_Shadow World Chat Champion
Joined: 10 May 2012 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 20:12 - 19 Aug 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
Speed does not equal confidence.
Stop trying to keep traffic behind you happy and focus on what your doing. Of course if you being stupid, 40 in a 60 ect, then you'll get alot of rear traffic agro. But seeing you've passed your test, you must be confident travelling at the speeds of the road.
Stop trying to hit the same speeds on straights or corners as a car would, because YOU ARE NOT A CAR. Coming from someone whose taking to biking, after 4 years of driving a car and work van 5 days a week, you need to get rid of those targets.
Just because you can travel at those speeds on road X or corner X in a car, does not mean you MUST do the same riding a bike.
Ride at your own pace & as for traffic, if your doing the speed limit or what's safe for the road ... let them take the risk of driving faster, focus on what's in front.
After all, given their attitude, it wont be long before they are "stuck" behind someone else.
Take it easy, ride safe
Speed limit not target  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| BakesBeans |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 BakesBeans Spanner Monkey
Joined: 14 Aug 2012 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| dungbug |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 dungbug Could Be A Chat Bot

Joined: 05 Feb 2012 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 20:25 - 19 Aug 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
Very nice.  ____________________ CBT: Pass 25/06/2011 Theory Test: Pass12/06/2012 Mod 1: Fail 08/07/2012
Mod 1 Retest: Pass 15/0702012 Mod 2: Pass 03/08/2012
Suzuki GN125 (Sold) ~ Current bike: Yamaha YZF 600R Thundercat |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| shereen |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 shereen World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Mar 2011 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 20:33 - 19 Aug 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
That looks very clean indeed!! Nice one!  ____________________ "The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had" |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| BakesBeans |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 BakesBeans Spanner Monkey
Joined: 14 Aug 2012 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 14 years, 53 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|