Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Decent centres to learn around Southampton area

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Cocm6
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 20 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:56 - 20 Aug 2012    Post subject: Decent centres to learn around Southampton area Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Basically I've just started a placement for the year and am living in Southampton. Because I've got some cash behind me I'd now like to sort out my bike license (had my car license for around a year).
I've never had any real experience with bikes and training before, but my mate who has been riding for years reckons which centre you choose will make all the difference to if you pass and if you deserve to pass/are safe etc. Unfortunately he learnt back in Suffolk so I can't use the same centre he did.

I was just wondering if anyone on here learned around this area, is from this area, or is currently learning around here and can name some places good for training? I've just pre-emptively reserved a CBT slot with these guys for the 1st of Sept .. https://www.southamptoncbt.co.uk/ but I can always change it, or I'm happy to then take my lessons elsewhere after.

Also is there anywhere I should explicitly avoid?

Cheers
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Gandalf123
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 15 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:11 - 20 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mate,

I passed my test 1st time with my dad when we trained with A.R.T (assured rider training) Jst outside the city centre under the itchen bridge. They are very very good, patient and very experienced instructors and they use nice new ybr125s to practise on
____________________
Honda sh50, Honda cb100, Hongdou cg125, kawasaki z250, Yamaha xt250 - (1981 model)
Mod 2 passed - 3/05/12
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Shillz
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 06 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:15 - 20 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenix in Fareham are worth a shout. Brilliant instruction, and damn competitive prices
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:21 - 20 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver Bikes in Havant if its not too far out of your way. Other than that I have heard ART are very good.
____________________
illuminateTHEmind wrote: I am just more evolved than most of you guys... this allows me to pick of things quickly which would have normally taken the common man years to master
Hockeystorm65:.well there are childish arguments...there are very childish arguments.....there are really stupid childish arguments and now there are......Pinkfloyd arguments!
Teflon-Mike:I think I agree with just about all Pinky has said.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Cocm6
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 20 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:42 - 20 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver Bikes is possible but if ART is sound and close then I'll probably choose there. Cheers for the recommendations. On a side note do you lot think I would do well to hold off the two parts of my test a couple months after my CBT, and get a 125 to practice on... or would I be able to just take an intensive course and purchase a bike after?

Cheers
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Gandalf123
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 15 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:47 - 20 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely wait for a bit and get some experience on your 125, every day your out on it is a days more experience in clutch control,road sense, lane discipline etc. Just make sure you get your license before jan 2013 to avoid those nasty new laws coming in and effecting you!
____________________
Honda sh50, Honda cb100, Hongdou cg125, kawasaki z250, Yamaha xt250 - (1981 model)
Mod 2 passed - 3/05/12
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

PiercedMrsP
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 18 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:25 - 21 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my CBT with ADT and I have to admit it wasn't a good experience. Now it might not have helped that I was a completely inexperienced girl with 3 more experienced blokes but the instructor really didn't seem very interested. We basically just rode round in circles for a bit then out on the road, which was terrifying. Didn't do anything that I've heard others did - figures of 8, slow riding, junctions, etc. didnt instill any confidence. when I got my own bike I didn't really know what I was doing and stacked it. I still maintain Hubbs taught me to ride properly.

I have heard good things about ART though and if Fareham isn't too far then check out Paragon - Dave is spot on. I started doing my DAS with them until the DVLA messed up on my licence and lost my motorcycle entitlement Evil or Very Mad Mad should have been doing my mod 1 this week but it's at least 2 weeks to get it sorted. ARGH!!! Crying or Very sad
____________________
Can sadly no longer be seen tearing up the road on my Honda Shadow 1100 ACE as she was stolen by thieving scum on 3/7/13.
Now the proud owner of a Suzuki VL800 Volusia and a huge Almax security chain Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Cocm6
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 20 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:52 - 21 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for your experience PiercedMrsP. Is it bad enough to warrant cancelling my CBT with ADT and rescheduling that too with ART? If so I'll call tomorrow to sort it out.

On another note, in terms of the 125 would I be best off getting a cheap bike to practice on as I'll no doubt drop it.. and if so is there anything you could recommend or know of anyone offering around the area?

Cheers
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dean-J
Crazy Courier



Joined: 30 Oct 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:06 - 21 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

National rider training in Fareham.
Mark and the guys over there are top blokes, and are genuinely interested in getting you through your tests and on the road rather than making obscene amounts of money off you!

Defo worth a call imho.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

PiercedMrsP
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 18 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:53 - 22 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome Cocm6. Obviously I can only speak from the experience I had but I have to say I really wouldn't recommend ADT. It maybe that I just had a not so good instructor and their others are fine - I can't comment on that. I just know the guy I had and the experience generally was pretty poor.

If you're planning to do more training then I would pick a school you're likely to stick with, then you get used to their teaching style and they get to know you. I agree with Dean-J - pick people who genuinely want you to pass, not who genuinely want you to line their pockets.
____________________
Can sadly no longer be seen tearing up the road on my Honda Shadow 1100 ACE as she was stolen by thieving scum on 3/7/13.
Now the proud owner of a Suzuki VL800 Volusia and a huge Almax security chain Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

BakesBeans
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 14 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:26 - 22 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learnt with Kickstart in Gosport, which is near explosion museum. The good thing is you learn exactly where you do you test (Lee on the Solent) which helps, and there is only one road which is above 40mph in the whole area.

Kickstart aren't particularly strict in their teaching style, or that formal, however I like that and they're very easy to get along with. They also have small bikes (seat height) for short-arses like me.

I'm not plugging, but I got through in 4days (CBT + 3 DAS days) and was surprised how quick I did it.
____________________
Current: Kawasaki ZX636
Previous Bike: Honda CBR600F ABS, Yamaha XJ6 F Diversion ABS, Honda VFR400 NC30
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

BakesBeans
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 14 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:44 - 22 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Cocm6, I realised I can't edit my posts and wanted to add a bit more.

The nearest test centre for you is Lee-on-the-Solent, so you really want to learn around the area where you do you test. https://www.kickstart-gosport.co.uk/ have off road parking, so it's easier for you to drive their and park.

If you do your CBT with them, £110, you will get 50% back when you do your full DAS course. So £550 for your DAS if you do your CBT £110 (£660 in total). Just remember lunch money as you'll stop at a different cafe every day.

For the CBT they have all the cones, and a junction painted in the training area - so you can learn all that. Also, they will probably let you try the 500cc bike you will do your DAS on.

When you do your DAS, the first full day is basic work then a long ride (probably down the A32). The second full day you will do more cone work preping you for the MOD1 - you then do your MOD1 (use their bike, but will only take two hours in the day). If you pass, you will do the third full day preping for the MOD2 - then you do your MOD2, with probably an hour ride before ending at the centre.


When you've done your CBT, you can then rent bikes from: https://www.westsussexmotorcyclehire.co.uk/ at £20 per day you can get some miles in riding a cheap Chinese (but more than capable) bike about. I only did one day doing this.

Also, Kickstart might hire out their bikes (125cc) but you need to ask them - they offered to me, but that was when I was already doing my DAS.

I wouldn't bother buying a 125cc, as you will soon get bored of it.


*Sorry if I'm not allowed to mention websites, but I think this will help the OP.

Oh, if you want to ask any more questions feel free to ask.
____________________
Current: Kawasaki ZX636
Previous Bike: Honda CBR600F ABS, Yamaha XJ6 F Diversion ABS, Honda VFR400 NC30
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MCW
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:57 - 22 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my CBT with Motag. A nice instructor called Dave, was very thorough. Am a complete wuss and he took care to build my confidence without mollycoddling. There were only 2 people on the CBT and we got lots of individual attention.

I got a wasp in my helmet on the road, thankfully we had covered stopping safely in a hurry. My 'aaaagh-there-is-a-wasp-in-my-helmet-aaaagh' dance stopped traffic! Got my certificate though. Very Happy

Hope it goes well for you.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

petechett
Nova Slayer



Joined: 26 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:51 - 26 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest Motag aswell.
www.motag.com
i did my CBT and DSA with them in Poole&Bournemouth but i was speaking to my instructor and he said he sometimes does it at Southampton and i know they have a test centre there.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 42 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.29 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 81.68 Kb