Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Another which bike sorry

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Sid_The_Sloth
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 27 Nov 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:08 - 22 Aug 2012    Post subject: Another which bike sorry Reply with quote

So I'm preparing to do my tests son as I've just passed my theory. I'm now looking at which bike to get. I was contemplating a Honda NC700x but don't think getting a brand new bike will be the best of ideas.
I am very intrueged by cruisers but will obviously need to test them before knowing if I like them or not. So I'm still looking for other bikes too. I'm not interested by sports bikes, not even slightly. I do have a semi bad back too so a comfortable riding position is a must.
Can you give me the names of good commuters and possibly some cheap-ish tourers. I'd need something thats not gonna cost me rediculous amounts to insure, I'm only 23 and don't have a car license. Plus it needs to be comfortable enough for long ish journeys. Done 170 miles on my ybr 1 day and by christ i hurt later that night!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dungbug
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 05 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:21 - 22 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at a 535 Virago, pretty cheap to insure and should be fine for commuting.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikereviews/searchresults/Bike-Reviews/Yamaha/Yamaha-XV535-Virago--1988--2004/

Best of luck with your tests. Thumbs Up
____________________
CBT: Pass 25/06/2011 Theory Test: Pass12/06/2012 Mod 1: Fail 08/07/2012
Mod 1 Retest: Pass 15/0702012 Mod 2: Pass 03/08/2012
Suzuki GN125 (Sold) ~ Current bike: Yamaha YZF 600R Thundercat
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

harscot
Crazy Courier



Joined: 19 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:28 - 22 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honda 650 Deauville might suit your needs, not everyone on here will agree Laughing , I own one and there comfy and bullet proof, with built on panniers and a 200 mile tank range ( if your kind to it that is, 150 if you thrash it all the time ) also pillion frendly as well. Thumbs Up
____________________
First bike R reg Suzuki 125 GT twin in 1978:
2nd bike X reg Honda 650 Deauville in 2011:
Wish bike a Triumph Thunderbird: Dream bike Triumph Rocket........
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sid_The_Sloth
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 27 Nov 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:50 - 22 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite sure what I think of the Virago, think I'd need to see it in person.
I'm quite liking the Deauville though, but I suspect insurance might be a pain
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:14 - 23 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dullsvilles are aimed at and likely to be ridden by conscientious, safe riders - insurers should love them.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Nick 50
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Jul 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:52 - 23 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a Honda VT Shadow?

Honda VT600

Honda VT750

MCN states that the 750 is Ins. group 10 whereas the 600 is group 11. Confused

+1 for what Roger has said.

At a guess I reckon the Honda Deauville will be cheaper to insure than a middleweight cruiser.

You can pick up an early 00's one with low mileage for a decent price. It won't tear a track up but is a well regarded road bike with a lot to offer.
____________________
Current Bikes: ZX7r 97 (Black Beauty), VFR400 NC24 (The banana)
Previous Bikes: Aprilia Tuono 03 (The Beast), CBR600f (97)
First bike: A GZ125 Lemon.......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:29 - 23 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any of the middleweight commuters sound like they fit the bill (CB500, ER-5, GS500, GPZ500, 600 Diversion). Cheap, comfy (fit a screen for even more comfort), good on insurance. If you want to spend a bit more then the Deauville fits the brief too.

Cruisers SHOULD be comfy, but in many cases they actually aren't, due to riding position mainly. Still, you should try to have a sit on anything you're considering (and imagine it with 60mph windblast), and see how you feel.

Zen Dog
____________________
Current - '94 VFR750FR (Dead), '00 VFR800FI, '11 600 Hornet - Previous - '11 CBF125, '10 Street Triple R, '92 MZ ETZ301, '05 TTR250, NSR125R, KMX125, "Honda" Win
My bike trip around S.E. Asia 2010/2011
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:43 - 23 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the virago looks too thin for you, get a Dragstar 650.
This is my Virago 535:

https://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt134/Kurt_V/KGrHqNHJFYE916ciPBPnTe3ygig60_3-1.jpg
____________________
To shreds you say? Tss tss tss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sid_The_Sloth
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 27 Nov 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:05 - 24 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does look pretty nice, but like i say i think I'd have to see them in person to decide.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr



Joined: 01 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:58 - 24 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Dear, your OPENLY Cruiser-Curiouse.... Embarassed
OK, pretty wide remit; a relatively 'cheap' to run, non-sports bike...
Relatively speaking cheap could be anything from a couple of hundred quid, to tens of thousands.
And you say you don't have a car licence, implying its every day sole means of transport, but aren't explicit.
Do we presume daily, all weather commuting? What sort of distances?
Longer runs? Do we imagine a couple of hundred miles to and from a rally venue loaded with pillion & luggage, or three days in the saddle cranking up a couple of miles, 'touring' or even more, transcontinental holidays, perhaps?
Whats 'reasonable' on running costs? Is fuel consumption a biggie? OR Maintenance? DIY or franchise dealer?

Stepping up from a YBR; The commuter-Twins suggest themselves as a promising stepping stone, but still plenty to choose from.

Especially if it's got to be 33bhp Restricted?

But if you want to do longer 'tours' especially two-up, then the grunt of a tamer 'four' might be worth while.

SO, the usual suspects to chuck into the running:-

Kawasaki ER5, Suzuki GS500, if SV650 or GPz500S 'too' sporty. Honda CB500, the Dulsiville. Going older, NTV650. Possibly a Ducati M600, BMW F650, or older still, BMW R80, or a Guzzi V50/650.

Fair choice of shaft & chain drive in there.

Fours: Kawasaki GT550 / GT750 shafties, old but tough. 550/750 Zephyr. Blandit 6, Divvy 6, CB750F2.

Then into the cruisers, with 535 Virago favourite first cruiser; Honda Shaddow a close second, but some of the Suzuki' Savage & Marauder's offering interesting alternative.

Need to tie down the scope to offer better suggestions; or you just need to get out there, see whats on offer, and weigh up the pro's and cons, and decide what you like.
____________________
My Webby'Tef's-tQ, loads of stuff about my bikes, my Land-Rovers, and the stuff I do with them!
Current Bikes:'Honda VF1000F' ;'CB750F2N' ;'CB125TD ( 6 3 of em!)'; 'Montesa Cota 248'. Learner FAQ's:= 'U want to Ride a Motorbike! Where Do U start?'
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Sid_The_Sloth
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 27 Nov 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:18 - 25 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am indeed openly admitting the Cruiser-curiosity, sat on a few and loved the feeling... XVS125 and VT750... both extremely comfortable.

My main riding is a 10 mile trip to work and then back, however do a lot of random riding too. Would like to be able to take longer trips and not feel rediculously sore by the end of it. The odd trip from Edinburgh-ish to Leicester region would be on the cards too. And yes you are correct I use the bike as sole transport and in all weather.

I have decided I'm not a great fan of naked bikes, would like some sort of wind protection. So what ever I get I'd be sticking a screen on it if it didn't already have 1. I am very intrigued by the VT750 and 650 Deaville. I was also thinking a Hornet would be decent as it's essentially a big YBR really.

I'm pretty much staying away from Sports bikes.

Insurance HAS to be under £1000. Fuel economy would be a a big plus due to the fact I do on average 1000 miles per month as it is.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Slacker24seve...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 May 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:10 - 25 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBF600? Not as homosex as a cruiser or Dullville but very reliable, safe and comfortable. I bet you can get hard panniers for them too.
____________________
Triumph Daytona 675 track bike + girlfriend's Honda Hornet 600
Selling a hack/winter bike for less than a grand? PM me.
Banger rallies are ace
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 42 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.77 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 75.83 Kb