 |
|
 |

|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Redeemer |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Redeemer Derestricted Danger
Joined: 24 Aug 2012 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 04:03 - 24 Aug 2012 Post subject: CBT number two! Need help! |
 |
|
Hey all, totally new member, was looking forward to joining in as a learner rider but me and a pal have just failed our first CBT! We've both got an understanding of the controls but I seem to be all over the place! Plus hoping this is the right place to post this, and any help would be appreciated big time guys!
I have tons of trouble keeping the throttle consistent, I seem to add more throttle as I turn round corners, think I'm holding it too tight.
I can't get the thing to move off smoothly, finding that biting point seems to take forever, and then I seem to dump the clutch and either stall or get off to a jerky start.
U turns are just a huge no! I just seem to have trouble getting that turn nice and tight, I just end up going wide all the time.
Figure of eights? I was so damn tense by that point in the day I was just making a god awful mess of those.
And slow riding I just couldn't keep that clutch under control, I'm ok at first but as I'm turning my hand seems to lose control over it.
Sorry of this all seems like a rant but we've got another CBT on saturday and I'm starting to panic, all I know is I won't be beaten and I will be a rider someday haha! Even if I am useless  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Efes123 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Efes123 World Chat Champion

Joined: 08 Sep 2011 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 07:53 - 24 Aug 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
It sounds like you just need to be able to control the clutch and throttle, everything else will then fall into place. With regards to the throttle, yes, it sounds as though you've too tight a grip on it, try to relax. The same with the figure of 8s and the U-turn, if you're relaxed, these will come much more easily.
Good luck for Saturday, just listen to the instructor, and try to relax more. What's the worst that can happen on the slow manouvers? Even if you drop the bike, it's no big deal, they're used to it. ____________________ Honda Goldwing GL 1000 Current love
Honda VT500 ED - SOLD
Projects Suzuki GS125 Done, then stolen - Kawasaki GPX750R SOLD - Honda VF750S SOLD |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rogerborg |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rogerborg nimbA

Joined: 26 Oct 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 08:05 - 24 Aug 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
You didn't fail, you just haven't completed the course yet. It's training and continuous assessment, not a test.
It is a viable option to do it on a twist-and-go. That validates your provisional just fine. You can then get a geared 125 of your own and go and practice somewhere by yourself. With the pressure off, and not being watched all the time, you'll probably get it much faster. ____________________ Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Skudd |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Skudd Super Spammer

Joined: 01 Oct 2006 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| dungbug |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 dungbug Could Be A Chat Bot

Joined: 05 Feb 2012 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 08:52 - 24 Aug 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
/\ This, it's all down to clutch control. The bike will take off as fast or slow as you allow the clutch to let it, you need to get to grips with the bite point on the clutch. You can have a lot of throttle but with the clutch at the right point the bike will 'crawl' along, so work on finding the bite point and keeping it steady and controlled. If the bike starts going too fast then ease the clutch in, bike slowing down then ease the clutch out (slowly does it, it's only a small amount you'll need to give it either way).
This is the reason you can't do the figure 8/U turn etc.... With the clutch under control you won't overshoot anything and the ride will be smoother.
So relax and take your time getting the bite point under control, everything else will make sense and fall into place. When are you going back for your CBT?*
*EDIT ~ Just re-read the OP, best of luck for Saturday. As Roger said, it's not a test so don't think of it as one (plenty of time for that later ) ____________________ CBT: Pass 25/06/2011 Theory Test: Pass12/06/2012 Mod 1: Fail 08/07/2012
Mod 1 Retest: Pass 15/0702012 Mod 2: Pass 03/08/2012
Suzuki GN125 (Sold) ~ Current bike: Yamaha YZF 600R Thundercat |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| waffles |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 waffles World Chat Champion

Joined: 04 Oct 2009 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| thepuma |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 thepuma World Chat Champion

Joined: 16 Jul 2012 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| hedgehugger |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 hedgehugger World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 Nov 2007 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Teflon-Mike |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Teflon-Mike tl;dr

Joined: 01 Jun 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 11:14 - 24 Aug 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
Relax!...OH FFS! I now have Frankie Goes to Hollywood running through my head!... mind... kids watched that Johnny Depp Vampire thing last night... I've had the Carpeters 'Top-Of-The-World' there for two days!
Relax...
You know what you are doing on the clutch, so stop doing it!
Nice & gently.....
U-Turn, Figure of 8 & slow riding...
1/ NEAT-FEAT.....
feet belong on the floor or they belong on the pegs, they don't belong in mid air hovering over the floor anticipating falling over, or 'paddling' walking with the bike beneath you!
If you wanted to walk, why get a motorbike? Save paddling for the beach! If you think you are gong to fall over, STOP put your foot down & be done! putting foot down while you move? Probably wont stop you falling anyway, you'll just run over your own leg! ALL a 'loose' foot is going to do is make you wobble as something like 20% of your body weight is in that limb and its flapping around all over!
SO, neat feet; From 'safety possition' (left foot flat on floor, right foot on peg covering rear brake)..... clutch, move, FOOT UP and straight to the peg, nice and smartly, get that foot out the way and kill a load of potential wobbles before they begin.
DONT know if this is a problem, but my little hobby horse, so now you know, and you have NO excuses if it is!
2/ WHERE YOU LOOK IS WHERE YOU GO!
Head UP. So many students look at FLOOR either by the front wheel or under their feet, and THAT is where they go! Onto the floor!
Keep your head up, TRUST the bike to go where you point it, and trust YOURSELF to point it where you want to go!
Because if you ent LOOKING where you want to go..... you ent going to point it there, are you?!
3/ TILT to TURN
Bikes steer by LEANING, as much as they do through turning the bars.
Trouble with this is that at slow speed, lean the little bludger over and it feels like its going to fall over, becous normally you 'balence' leaning with cornering force, and going slow you dont have much holding you up.
SO you turn the bars more... and often you'll tangle knees in them, or run out of steering lock, or gripping the bars in a death grip, you'll roll on or off the throttle.
BUT in actual fact you can lean a bike over an AWFUL long way even at very low speeds, and tight turns can generate a LOT of centrifugal force to hold you up.... and using the throttle delicately to accelerate out of a tight turn can generate even more.
Three tips on tipping...
1 - don't be afraid to lean the bugger
2 - YOU can stay more upright than the bike, leaning from the hips 'out', what we call 'counter-leaning' to get more tilt between tyres and road at low speed, and the more of this you use, the tighter the bike will turn, and the more comfortably it will do it.
3 - Throttle, THROTTLE, THROTTLE, USE IT! As said, use the throttle to apply gentle acceleration through and out of a tight turn, and it will increase the centrifugal forces to hold you up, and help you 'steer' the bike.
Slow speed control; 'the book' says that you start slow and work up, BUT also says that Instructor may mix and match exercises within an element to suit the student, and VERY OFTEN, its 'easier', go go do some 'loops' and get a feel for the bike holding itself up, with a bit more speed, before coming back to do the slow stuff....
And particularly the 'slow ride in a straight line'; and I have often 'given up' on that one with some students, got them launching smoothly then told them to 'just' ride round in a large circle....
Then I have 'tricked them'.... running along side and 'talking to them' and slowing down my run to a trot to a fast walk and then a walk, just casually asking them to slow a bit as I'm getting out of breath.... then "Oh LOOK... you have just done the slow ride!"
Now; folk are quick to critasise instructors on here, BUT, to be bit fair, we really don't know. There are some who get very frustrated by CBT and slower learners, couscous to them its all 'so simple' and what they like teaching is road training.... but, probably more often.... STUDENTS don't open their mouth and TELL THEM they are struggling! Nervous, apprehensive and generally over awed by the whole 'thing', its understandable.
AND, 7hrs of CBT. The course is designed to get an 'average' rider up to scratch in 'about' 7 hours, BUT they cram a HELL of a lot of 'stuff' into that menu, and its NOT easy to cover everything in that time, especially when there is supposed to be at least two hours on the road, and you have big chunks of class-room time and machine familiarisation and machine handling. You really only have a couple of hours to ACTUALLY get a HELL of a lot of basic machine control, learned AND practiced on the play-ground in the morning.
And if you have not ridden before, or you are not familiar with bikes, or you are a little lacking in confidence, IT CAN be asking a lot of you.
Many schools will try and stretch play-ground practice out as much as possible, but using the lunch-break, and stretching the day.... its very common for students to be asked to 'come back' for MORE PRACTICE..... as said, you ent failed... you just need more practice....
So have a ponder, remember, its not a test; and the play-ground excersises are there SPECIFICALLY so you can master the basic machine control in a 'safe' place with no cars or traffic or pedestrians about, until you ARE confident, comfortable and able to manage the bike without much thought, so when you are on the road, you can worry about the important bits..... like road-positioning, indicators, looking over your shoulder, grading legs on teenage pedestrians in skimpy shorts..... oh.. hang on... thats not in the highway code is it? Oh well, maybe it should be! Riding's supposed to be fun, after all!
If you need more practice, you need more practice. Better on the play-ground than a by-pass; so RELAX.... remember NEAT-FEET, and Where you Look, and Turn by Tilt...... and TALK to your instructor and help them help you, where you struggle, and ENJOY.
Riding is about the journey, not the destination, doesn't matter how long it takes, its what you get from it as you go that counts, so take your time, and enjoy the journey of discovery LEARNING how to RIDE.... you'll get there in the end.
Rushing? Fast way to get hurt on a motorbike, so...... RELAX..... dont do it, when.... OH FFS, Frankie's back! I think I need a dose of Metalika! ____________________ My Webby'Tef's-tQ, loads of stuff about my bikes, my Land-Rovers, and the stuff I do with them!
Current Bikes:'Honda VF1000F' ;'CB750F2N' ;'CB125TD ( 6 3 of em!)'; 'Montesa Cota 248'. Learner FAQ's:= 'U want to Ride a Motorbike! Where Do U start?' |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| yaigi |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 yaigi World Chat Champion

Joined: 28 Jul 2012 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 11:31 - 24 Aug 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
Don't worry, as others have aid, it's not a test, you just need extra training. I had to go back for a couple of hours the week after my first go at my CBT cos whilst I hadn;t messed up the off road stuff, I was so damn nervous he could see I needed the break before hitting the road.
The week after I went back and I was like a different person. IT will soak in, and you'll not even know it until you get back on that bike and wonder what all the fuss was about.
Don't be scared of the throttle - as long as you have control of the clutch you can rev like fuck and it won't go any faster, don't be scared of the noise it makes when you do this, you'll get the hang of it, and you'll get it not revving like buggery in the end.
I'm sure they told you this already but the bike will go where you look so when doing the U-turns etc, keep your head up looking WHERE YOU WANT TO GO, not at the floor that you think you're going to end up on
It's hard to just simply relax, i know, but if you keep telling yourself too, over and over again, making your muscles (esp. arms and shoulders) a bit looser, you'll eventually see how much of a difference that makes.
If you're scared of making a mistake, stop that right now, they've seen it all before and you're only winding yourself up more. Mistakes are how you learn and nobody is laughing at you.
Good luck! ____________________ What would you do in life, if you knew you could not fail?
Currently own - Fazer 600, 2000, Red. (But no riding as baby on board atm) |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| RyanTCB |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 RyanTCB Two Stroke Sniffer
Joined: 20 Aug 2012 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Teflon-Mike |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Teflon-Mike tl;dr

Joined: 01 Jun 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 12:17 - 24 Aug 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
| RyanTCB wrote: | As said already it sounds like a poor instructor to me. You can take a CBT on a scooter and that still allows you to ride u to 125cc geared. Most when going through CBT have zero experience and its the instructors job to teach in the 7 or so hours of the course it is after all what you paid for. DO NOT USE THAT SCHOOL AGAIN go somewhere else and get some proper instruction. |
Or, it could be a GOOD school who dont want to put him on a twist & go, JUST so he can get a CBT certificate, and leave him to figure out basic machine control and using gears, on his own, on real roads..... where falling off can hurt more.
Yeah.... find a school that doesn't give a shit, and you might not even have to ride a bike to get the cert.... heard of some pizza shops having books of CBT certs to licence up delivery boys....
If all you want is the cert to validate licence, fine.... if you want to learn to ride a motorbike... going round the problem rather than fixing it, wont really help, will it?
Could be a rogue school, but, JUST because they chose not to issue a cert doesn't suggest they are, more often implies they are more worried to ensure a rider makes the grade and IS safe and competent, not just rush'em through and hand out tickets to ride to people who possibly cant! ____________________ My Webby'Tef's-tQ, loads of stuff about my bikes, my Land-Rovers, and the stuff I do with them!
Current Bikes:'Honda VF1000F' ;'CB750F2N' ;'CB125TD ( 6 3 of em!)'; 'Montesa Cota 248'. Learner FAQ's:= 'U want to Ride a Motorbike! Where Do U start?' |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| lozzypop1 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 lozzypop1 Certified MILF!

Joined: 04 Jan 2006 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 14:12 - 24 Aug 2012 Post subject: Re: CBT number two! Need help! |
 |
|
| Redeemer wrote: |
 I have tons of trouble keeping the throttle consistent, I seem to add more throttle as I turn round corners, think I'm holding it too tight.
 U turns are just a huge no! I just seem to have trouble getting that turn nice and tight, I just end up going wide all the time.
 Figure of eights? I was so damn tense by that point in the day I was just making a god awful mess of those.
|
And I bet Most of the above problems are on right hand turns??? Amrite??
If so, I can tell you EXACTLY what the problem is (without all the bumpf that Teffers has posted above)
You are too tense, and tucking your elbows in to your kidneys.
Relax! Let your elbows stick out, pretend that you are eating your dinner off your lap.
I had exactly the same problem, took me 4 days to work it out. I had my elbows tucked in and every time I tried to turn I was either revving the tits off the bike, panicking and going wide, or I was dropping the revs too much to actually turn and in fear of dropping the bike. Each time ballsing up the manoeuvre in one way or another.
The reason being, the only way you can turn those bars with elbows tucked in... Is to pivot your wrist.
Hope this helps>  ____________________ Funny, I used to hate being spanked as a child!
Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Flamzypants |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Flamzypants Nova Slayer

Joined: 07 Jul 2011 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Redeemer |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Redeemer Derestricted Danger
Joined: 24 Aug 2012 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 16:32 - 24 Aug 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
Wow, awesome tips guys! I'm going to bone up as much as possible today and pray I get through this tomorrow, thanks so much guys I'll be sure to let you know how I get on. The buzz word for tomorrow is going to be "RELAX!!"
I can always try again if we don't get it tomorrow I'm just hoping I can take yet more experience away with me  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Redeemer |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Redeemer Derestricted Danger
Joined: 24 Aug 2012 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 19:15 - 24 Aug 2012 Post subject: Re: CBT number two! Need help! |
 |
|
| lozzypop1 wrote: | | Redeemer wrote: |
 I have tons of trouble keeping the throttle consistent, I seem to add more throttle as I turn round corners, think I'm holding it too tight.
 U turns are just a huge no! I just seem to have trouble getting that turn nice and tight, I just end up going wide all the time.
 Figure of eights? I was so damn tense by that point in the day I was just making a god awful mess of those.
|
And I bet Most of the above problems are on right hand turns??? Amrite??
If so, I can tell you EXACTLY what the problem is (without all the bumpf that Teffers has posted above)
You are too tense, and tucking your elbows in to your kidneys.
Relax! Let your elbows stick out, pretend that you are eating your dinner off your lap.
I had exactly the same problem, took me 4 days to work it out. I had my elbows tucked in and every time I tried to turn I was either revving the tits off the bike, panicking and going wide, or I was dropping the revs too much to actually turn and in fear of dropping the bike. Each time ballsing up the manoeuvre in one way or another.
The reason being, the only way you can turn those bars with elbows tucked in... Is to pivot your wrist.
Hope this helps>  |
Everyone's advice has been superb, Teflons advice was sweet as a but but BAM! This really jumped out at me, I my arms may as well have been rupturing my damned kidneys, I'm gonna remember that tomorrow for sure!! Can't wait for my success man! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rogerborg |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rogerborg nimbA

Joined: 26 Oct 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 19:18 - 24 Aug 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
Mike, as he often does, makes a good point. A bad school would just push you through it, hand you your DL196 and wish you good luck.
Hey, maybe you'll go back tomorrow and it'll have sunk in, you'll be an old hand at it, and you'll breeze through it. I went back for a 2nd bite, and it was so much easier - I was laughing like a loon by the end of the road ride.
However, do bear in mind that it's a training course that you are paying for. If you're not learning, tell them and find another way. There's no shame in completing it on a twist-and-go, as long as you've learned the theory behind gears. You can figure out the practice yourself later.
Do believe that at some point it'll click and you'll really start to enjoy it. That might be on your CBT, it might be afterwards, but if you stick with it, it will happen. ____________________ Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ayrton |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ayrton World Chat Champion

Joined: 02 Sep 2010 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 19:19 - 24 Aug 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
I took my cbt 4 times That was just because i couldnt relax on the bike. After i got use to riding i became much more confident and could do everything easier. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Skudd |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Skudd Super Spammer

Joined: 01 Oct 2006 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 19:55 - 24 Aug 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
Think of the clutch as a woman, she needs to caressed, take your time for the full build up, tickle her, play with her, get her almost there then back off again, tease her, do you want to go? lets start, no lets just come off the boil for a bit, play with her. Then when you are ready, let her goooooooooooooooo, but be ready to just tease her again.
As for the throttle, that is you, sliding in and out getting that pace going, not to much, not too little, just getting that stroke just right, keeping it there as you tickle the clutch, as you increase the tickle then just pick your pace up, then when she is almost there, increase your pace just that little bit more, then you need to be ready to cool down again, but remember to tickle her and keep on the ball.
50 shades of biking.  ____________________ Famous last words of Humpty Dumpty. " Stop pushing me "
Petty Anarchists look at "1984".............. The Visionary looks at "Animal Farm". |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rogerborg |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rogerborg nimbA

Joined: 26 Oct 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 20:03 - 24 Aug 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
No! Just slam it in hard no matter how much it shrieks and complains, then grip it and twist it as violently as you can on and off and on again until you've reached your conclusion.
Once your ride is all hot and lubed up, lock it in the shed and go down the pub. ____________________ Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Teflon-Mike |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Teflon-Mike tl;dr

Joined: 01 Jun 2010 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Redeemer |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Redeemer Derestricted Danger
Joined: 24 Aug 2012 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 23:10 - 24 Aug 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Skudd wrote: | Think of the clutch as a woman, she needs to caressed, take your time for the full build up, tickle her, play with her, get her almost there then back off again, tease her, do you want to go? lets start, no lets just come off the boil for a bit, play with her. Then when you are ready, let her goooooooooooooooo, but be ready to just tease her again.
As for the throttle, that is you, sliding in and out getting that pace going, not to much, not too little, just getting that stroke just right, keeping it there as you tickle the clutch, as you increase the tickle then just pick your pace up, then when she is almost there, increase your pace just that little bit more, then you need to be ready to cool down again, but remember to tickle her and keep on the ball.
50 shades of biking.  |
Could this be the best advice ever? Are you an instructor sir? If not you bloody well should be!!!  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Redeemer |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Redeemer Derestricted Danger
Joined: 24 Aug 2012 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MCW |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MCW World Chat Champion

Joined: 20 Aug 2012 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MCW |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MCW World Chat Champion

Joined: 20 Aug 2012 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 14 years, 44 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

|
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum You cannot attach files in this forum You cannot download files in this forum
|
Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.14 Sec - Server Load: 0.47 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 148.69 Kb
|