|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Louis101993 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Louis101993 Renault 5 Driver
Joined: 08 Sep 2009 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 15:21 - 01 Sep 2012 Post subject: Rough idling on cold starts |
 |
|
Hello all, wondering if any of you could help me
My Fazer (FZS600 1999) doesn't like idling when it first starts up, even on a day like today, 18 degree's and I cant just start it and let it idle, I either have to put a tiny bit of choke on or give it a few blips of revs when it sounds like its about to die, the idle starts at about 1050 and if I leave it without the choke, it will work it way down to around 600-700 before it cuts out.
I've noticed that the down pipes from cylinder 3 + 4 seems to take longer to warm up than the other 2, I know electrical problem tie 1+4 and 2+3 together so I've ruled that out (correct me if I'm wrong)
Once it's up to running temp she idles nice and steadily at 1.2k, no dropping in revs or wanting to cut out
So my best guess is the valve clearance on cylinder 3 + 4 may be too loose, and when it warms up the expansion of the valve creates a better seal hence idling fine once up to temp?
27,000 miles on the engine, not sure if the clearance has ever been adjusted before.
Just looking for some second opinions before I go ahead and strip her down, I've got a Haynes manual and it seems very long winded, does anybody else have a simpler way to get at the valves to shove a feeler gauge in?
Thanks, Louis. ____________________ A2 License Acquired 18/05/2011
Daelim E5 '08 ->Honda CG '99 -> Kawasaki ZXR 400 RR '96 -> Suzuki SV650 '00 (Naked) -> Yamaha Fazer '99
Last edited by Louis101993 on 00:52 - 03 Sep 2012; edited 1 time in total |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| unitynotsocri... |
This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
|
 unitynotsocri... Banned

Joined: 29 Jun 2011 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 14:43 - 02 Sep 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
at the mileage you say it 's worth checking the shim clearance and you should'nt expect it to idle smoothl till its hot,a lot of high state of tune bikes have difficulty ticking over when cold.Auto chokes also need checking as well. ____________________ nearly a normal tax paying tosser.......with ferrileness suzi100,cg125,cb125scb100n,cb175,cd100,cj250t,kh250,c15,125 bantam,super 6,rickman gs750,xt500,250rs,dt175,lifan125,dolomite1850,metro,Morris220ld,morrisfg,leyland princess,range rover,corsa,vw camper .now struggling with legs. MORE ORDER = MORE CHAOS |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Pete. |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Pete. Super Spammer

Joined: 22 Aug 2006 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 15:24 - 02 Sep 2012 Post subject: Re: Rough idling on cold starts |
 |
|
| Louis101993 wrote: | Hello all, wondering if any of you could help me
My Fazer (FZS600 1999) doesn't like idling when it first starts up, even on a day like today, 18 degree's and I can just start it and let it idle, I either have to put a tiny bit of choke on or giving it a few blips of revs when it sounds like its about to die, the idle starts at about 1050 and if I leave it, it will work it way down to around 600-700 before it cuts out.
I've noticed that the down pipes from cylinder 3 + 4 seems to take longer to warm up than the other 2, I know electrical problem tie 1+4 and 2+3 together so I've ruled that out (correct me if I'm wrong)
Once it's up to running temp she idles nice and steadily at 1.2k, no dropping in revs or wanting to cut out
So my best guess is the valve clearance on cylinder 3 + 4 may be too loose, and when it warms up the expansion of the valve creates a better seal hence idling fine once up to temp?
27,000 miles on the engine, not sure if the clearance has ever been adjusted before.
Just looking for some second opinions before I go ahead and strip her down, I've got a Haynes manual and it seems very long winded, does anybody else have a simpler way to get at the valves to shove a feeler gauge in?
Thanks, Louis. |
Other way round - valves close up over time. If it's only idling on two when cold then clean the carbs out and check the plungers, but otherwise your description is typical of many bikes out there - not running well on choke is a bit of an inconvenience, but not that big a deal. ____________________ a.k.a 'Geri'
132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Louis101993 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Louis101993 Renault 5 Driver
Joined: 08 Sep 2009 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Fizzer Thou |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Fizzer Thou World Chat Champion

Joined: 06 Aug 2011 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| janner_10 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 janner_10 World Chat Champion

Joined: 26 Sep 2011 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| 0l0dom0l0 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 0l0dom0l0 World Chat Champion

Joined: 21 Oct 2009 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 12:27 - 03 Sep 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
It's probably worth checking the clearances anyway, but that won't be that cause of your problems.
Both my Fazers, 98 and a 2002 model needed a little bit of choke to get them going, regardless of the temperature. Try giving it a little bit of choke (you only need enough to make the engine idle at 2k) and leave it with the choke on idling at about 2k until you get on the bike.
Then just turn the choke off and ride it. ____________________ CBT Passed: 30/08/2009, Theory Passed: 31/08/2010, Mod 1 Passed: 6/9/2010, Mod 2 Passed: 13/09/2010. Restriction ended 13/09/2012.
Bikes: 2007 Derbi GPR 50, 1998 Yamaha Fazer 600 (written off), 2002 Yamaha Fazer 600, 1994 CBR 600F, 2003 Triumph Daytona 600, Kawasaki ZX6R J1.....Current: 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 1998 Suzuki TL1000R and a Honda VFR 400 NC30. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| lozzypop1 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 lozzypop1 Certified MILF!

Joined: 04 Jan 2006 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Louis101993 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Louis101993 Renault 5 Driver
Joined: 08 Sep 2009 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 18:21 - 03 Sep 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
Thanks to everybody for the great help, I think it may be me just being to cautious
I've checked the plugs, all gapped correctly and a good colour, I'm gonna get the air filter out tomorrow and give that a clean, and put some fresh oil in, would it be worth putting 10w-30w oil in for over the winter?
TL;DR - Plugs are fine, gonna clean air filter tomorrow, should I put 10w-30w in for over the winter (due a change anyway) ____________________ A2 License Acquired 18/05/2011
Daelim E5 '08 ->Honda CG '99 -> Kawasaki ZXR 400 RR '96 -> Suzuki SV650 '00 (Naked) -> Yamaha Fazer '99 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| janner_10 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 janner_10 World Chat Champion

Joined: 26 Sep 2011 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 19:01 - 03 Sep 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
I would get into the habit of changing oil. I did mine every 2k miles, and new filter every other change.
I used Asda 10-40w semi for the life of the bike. Such easy bikes to work on and maintain.
Just don't drive into the side of a car, they don't like that!  ____________________ Yamaha FZS600 (Now gone to heaven) > CBR600F4i (SOLD) > '99 YZF-R1 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| 0l0dom0l0 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 0l0dom0l0 World Chat Champion

Joined: 21 Oct 2009 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 19:02 - 03 Sep 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
Nah, use 10w - 40, its what the manual recommends and covers temperateness that we see in England, even in the winter. ____________________ CBT Passed: 30/08/2009, Theory Passed: 31/08/2010, Mod 1 Passed: 6/9/2010, Mod 2 Passed: 13/09/2010. Restriction ended 13/09/2012.
Bikes: 2007 Derbi GPR 50, 1998 Yamaha Fazer 600 (written off), 2002 Yamaha Fazer 600, 1994 CBR 600F, 2003 Triumph Daytona 600, Kawasaki ZX6R J1.....Current: 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 1998 Suzuki TL1000R and a Honda VFR 400 NC30. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 14 years, 35 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|