|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Lord Percy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Lord Percy World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 Aug 2012 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 16:44 - 10 Sep 2012 Post subject: I'm at a complete loss for what to do next. |
 |
|
Most of you probably saw all my other posts about my dodgy GN125, so here's an update.
New carburettor. That seems to have fixed the high idling. Although... when I rev it, how quickly should it go back down to normal? If, for example, I rev it up to 4000, it seems to crawl back down to normal at a slower rate than I would expect.
Total oil and filter change. There were a couple of fairly large chunks of metal in the oil.... any opinions on that?
And now, instead of just 'losing power' when it's going at top speed, it actually wants to stall during the higher levels of acceleration. The effect of the throttle complete goes to zero momentarily, normally when trying to accelerate at the higher end of the speed range.
So, with a new carb the power seems to have come back a touch, but it's now occasionally LOSING all power, and this has only been happening since I did the oil and filter change. So... what did I do to cause it?!?! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| GREENI3 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 GREENI3 World Chat Champion
Joined: 26 Nov 2010 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| The Artist |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 The Artist Super Spammer

Joined: 06 Jan 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| dungbug |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 dungbug Could Be A Chat Bot

Joined: 05 Feb 2012 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Lord Percy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Lord Percy World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 Aug 2012 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 18:08 - 10 Sep 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
There were several small flakes of metal, like little harmless shards but probably two chunks. They were about 3 or 4mm in size.
I've played about with the air filter and air inlets and all that is fine as far as I can tell. If I totally block the air inlet it begins to stall, and if I totally remove the air filter and leave it as a great big gaping hole, there's no change in the running of the engine.
The carb rubbers are fine as far as I know. I've sprayed WD40 all over them to block any gaps while the engine was running to see if there was any change, and nothing happened, so yeah, I assume the rubbers are fine.
I'm guessing it's some kind of electrical HT coil spark plug sort of thingy because it literally just suddenly wants to die after only a short time of maintained engine work, and only when the bike is actually moving. I mean, if I have it up on its stand it never stalls or sounds weak when I rev it for a while. It's only when the bike is actually in motion.
Any ideas? It always seems to run quite happily at idle speeds, but it sometimes just chugs out in a stalling kind of way if I ask it to accelerate/maintain the higher ranges of the engine. And also it only seems to have started doing it since I did the full oil and filter change. I did dick around with the spark plug too though, so maybe I've messed that up?
The plug is a nice healthy tanned brown colour when I take it out, so I figured the fuel/air mix is ok now, which is what points me to it being a possible HT coil thing, but I don't know a thing about those things. I called the guy who sold me it, VINCAN E TWO MOTORCYCLES, and he reckoned it could be the HT coil, low engine pressure, or something to do with the exhaust.
If I can't sort it, he assures me I can ride it over to him on Wednesday so he'll check it out for me... |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| dungbug |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 dungbug Could Be A Chat Bot

Joined: 05 Feb 2012 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Lord Percy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Lord Percy World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 Aug 2012 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Lord Percy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Lord Percy World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 Aug 2012 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 18:27 - 10 Sep 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Nick 50 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Nick 50 World Chat Champion

Joined: 24 Jul 2011 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| The Artist |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 The Artist Super Spammer

Joined: 06 Jan 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| dungbug |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 dungbug Could Be A Chat Bot

Joined: 05 Feb 2012 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| The Artist |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 The Artist Super Spammer

Joined: 06 Jan 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 18:56 - 10 Sep 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
Not always, some spark plugs do screw on. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Lord Percy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Lord Percy World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 Aug 2012 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| _Iain_ |
This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
|
 _Iain_ Banned

Joined: 01 Feb 2012 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 20:03 - 10 Sep 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=3308437
Regarding my experiences of metal in oil
Check the inlet rubber for splits, cracks or anything. Makes all sorts of funny things happen...
If metals gone round the engine, its going to need a filter change too, aswell as the sump off and the bits scraped off the pickup. Dont run it, get a new engine and fob the other one off as "Got as a job lot of spares with my bike, engine turns over freely, However has not been fired up."
Might get half the money back for the engine that way  ____________________ Please be aware that the above post may be full of complete nonsense.
Riding: '07 KTM Duke II, Baotian BT49QT-20 Driving: '88 Volvo 340 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Nick 50 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Nick 50 World Chat Champion

Joined: 24 Jul 2011 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 20:06 - 10 Sep 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
| sa1988 wrote: | Mine can screw on at both ends, but anyway it grabs enough for it to be sparking fine. I reckon it's still a fuel/air mix problem....
the metal bits may be gone now. It could be because the tacho drive had cracked and the broken bits were in the engine. I guess I'll do another oil change before I have to head down south next week, and if there's no more metal, the problem is done.
the main thing is that the bike really does run fine at low/idle speeds, in fact with this new carburettor it seems near enough perfect, but it just seems to want to totally die out when the engine is worked a bit.
Oh and also I've just had it on it's stand outside and here's another symptom that may or may not help...
If I rev it up to about 7000 and hold it for several seconds so it's nice and hot then let go, the revs then smoothly go straight back down to zero, and the engine stops. So it's definitely the higher revs that are killing it. And I'm 95% certain it's only an issue when the engine is really hot.
Fuel/air problem?? |
I really can't believe you are so blasé about bits of metal being in your oil??
Even if it were just from your "tacho drive", it's been in the oil and circulating in your engine amongst rotating and meshing metal parts at considerable speed.
Forget about how the cap goes on the spark plug and get the engine seen to. ____________________ Current Bikes: ZX7r 97 (Black Beauty), VFR400 NC24 (The banana)
Previous Bikes: Aprilia Tuono 03 (The Beast), CBR600f (97)
First bike: A GZ125 Lemon....... |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Lord Percy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Lord Percy World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 Aug 2012 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Lord Percy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Lord Percy World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 Aug 2012 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| The Artist |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 The Artist Super Spammer

Joined: 06 Jan 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Lord Percy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Lord Percy World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 Aug 2012 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Teflon-Mike |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Teflon-Mike tl;dr

Joined: 01 Jun 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 22:48 - 10 Sep 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
Points & Ignition timing are not relevant to you.
Points are a mechanical 'switch' on the crank or cam-shaft that make & break the ignition circuit to fire the spark plug at the right time.
You don't have any.
Some bikes do... but rare these days.
What you have is a box of electronic tricks, that fires the spark-plug, which takes its 'signal' as to where the crank-shaft is and how fast its spinning from an induction sensor on the flywheel.
Points ignitions were user serviceable. mechanically operated, there was a shoe that ran on a cam that opened and closed the switch, and as it wore down, closed the points gap, changing the ignition timing. Also the points themselves 'wore-out' opening and closing. So it was a chore to keep adjusting them to keep the contact faces clean, and the contact gap and hence ignition timing correct.
Modern CDi ignitions have no moving parts. There is usually a notch or a nobble on the flywheel, and a coil of wire next to it on the engine. When the notch or knobble passes the coil, it disrupts the electromagnetic field and causes a very small 'pulse' of electricity.
Box of electrickery, senses that pulse, and via an amplifier circuit, triggers the coil to spark the spark-plug. Nothing to set, clean or adjust, its essentially maintenance free system.
OK.... so having explained that red herring.... where are we we weren't before?
You have done an oil change, good. Right grade, Level? All hunky dory there?
CHANGED CARBURETTOR....
From where you were at before, you were looking at teh carb, and tinkering with it and not getting anywhere, and I said, MAKE SURE its IS the carb before you swap it out....
Apart from oil change..... what else have you done?
Some-One suggested Tappets, which was good advice... have you adjusted them?
This is the gap between the top of the valve and the lever that opens it.
As engines get hot, bits of metal expand, and depending on what expands more and what expands less, those gaps can get bigger or smaller as you get to running temperature.
If the engine gets TOO hot, then gap can get monsterousely wide, in which case power drops off as cam-shaft is waggling lever in gap half the time and only opening valves a 'bit' rather than moving lever through 'bit' of gap and opening valve a lot.
Alternatively... gap goes small, and cam holds valves open, or stops them seating properly and sealing.....
Again, power fade, occurs... and I was pondering that compounding problem, tight tappets,particularly on the exhaust can see poor seated valve not seal, so engine goes 'lean' and over heats, making problem worse, AND with the exhaust valve not getting ground against its seat, deposits building up on the lip, so that when you DO adjust the tappets.. still don't seal, becouse of crud on the lip.... and if it starts to wear that off.... then the tappet gap goes to pot again, probably closing up, and you are back to square one!
However... question was, have you set the tappet adjustemt? And if not, again, do that before swapping carbs.
Eliminate variables, dont ADD them!
You now have a new carb.... 'factory set'... which could be as far out of tune as what you had to start with...
And the problem could STILL be 'anwhere' else in the engine. ____________________ My Webby'Tef's-tQ, loads of stuff about my bikes, my Land-Rovers, and the stuff I do with them!
Current Bikes:'Honda VF1000F' ;'CB750F2N' ;'CB125TD ( 6 3 of em!)'; 'Montesa Cota 248'. Learner FAQ's:= 'U want to Ride a Motorbike! Where Do U start?' |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Pete. |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Pete. Super Spammer

Joined: 22 Aug 2006 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 23:09 - 10 Sep 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Nick 50 wrote: | | sa1988 wrote: | Mine can screw on at both ends, but anyway it grabs enough for it to be sparking fine. I reckon it's still a fuel/air mix problem....
the metal bits may be gone now. It could be because the tacho drive had cracked and the broken bits were in the engine. I guess I'll do another oil change before I have to head down south next week, and if there's no more metal, the problem is done.
the main thing is that the bike really does run fine at low/idle speeds, in fact with this new carburettor it seems near enough perfect, but it just seems to want to totally die out when the engine is worked a bit.
Oh and also I've just had it on it's stand outside and here's another symptom that may or may not help...
If I rev it up to about 7000 and hold it for several seconds so it's nice and hot then let go, the revs then smoothly go straight back down to zero, and the engine stops. So it's definitely the higher revs that are killing it. And I'm 95% certain it's only an issue when the engine is really hot.
Fuel/air problem?? |
I really can't believe you are so blasé about bits of metal being in your oil??
Even if it were just from your "tacho drive", it's been in the oil and circulating in your engine amongst rotating and meshing metal parts at considerable speed.
Forget about how the cap goes on the spark plug and get the engine seen to. |
Not necessarily as serious as you might think. Metal sinks in oil, so will settle to the bottom of the sump. There it will get bound by the sediment that forms and there it will stay rather than get re-circulated continuously. Large lumps are probably the least of your worry since they will get caught by the strainer and wouldn't pass through the pump if they got there. Anything that gets past the pump then gets caught in the filter.
Stuff like clutch fibers would be much more of a worry to me. ____________________ a.k.a 'Geri'
132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Lord Percy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Lord Percy World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 Aug 2012 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 23:23 - 10 Sep 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
When you talk about tappets, do you mean the valve clearances? I did those yesterday, if that's what you were meaning. The engine sounds a little happier since I did it.
To re-cap on what I've done and what's happened - Since I changed the carburettor, the original problem of high idle revs has gone. It never does it now. I'm certain the new carburettor has been a good move.
I did a full oil and filter change, and even took out the gauze at the sump and gave that a clean. And I've switched the spark plug around twice. So one worry is that I may have bodged something up with the spark plug wiring.
The thing that's happening now is a whole new problem. At first, if you remember, the bike didn't like going at its top speeds. What I mean is, the engine felt kind of weak and lost power when it was worked hard and got hot, but it still always ran. Now, however, the engine feels a good deal 'stronger' (hence me thinking the new carb was a good choice), but it just wants to suddenly randomly splutter and die when its being worked hard. I physically feel the machine die for a moment. This is what points me to it being ignition/spark/wiring/HT thing (but I have no idea what). It really feels, for the moment it happens, that the combustion process has totally halted, and then it kicks in again.
What's happening now is totally different to what was happening before. Hmmmmmmm |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| dungbug |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 dungbug Could Be A Chat Bot

Joined: 05 Feb 2012 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 23:31 - 10 Sep 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
When you checked the clearances was the engine stone cold? & Tef is right, no points on the GN.
BTW did you strip the fuel tap & clean it? There was a fair bit of crud in the old Carb so the tap gauze & bowl might be choked as well. ____________________ CBT: Pass 25/06/2011 Theory Test: Pass12/06/2012 Mod 1: Fail 08/07/2012
Mod 1 Retest: Pass 15/0702012 Mod 2: Pass 03/08/2012
Suzuki GN125 (Sold) ~ Current bike: Yamaha YZF 600R Thundercat |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Lord Percy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Lord Percy World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 Aug 2012 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| dungbug |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 dungbug Could Be A Chat Bot

Joined: 05 Feb 2012 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 14 years, 25 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|