|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Firkit |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Firkit Two Stroke Sniffer

Joined: 18 Aug 2012 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 11:58 - 21 Sep 2012 Post subject: First time venturing out on my own since CBT... |
 |
|
Hi all,
I finally got all my kit sorted yesterday so thought it must be time to venture out onto the road with my shiny new L plates and shiny(ish) old bike for the first time. Didn't initially go entirely as planned.
Bought the bike last weekend, it was delivered to me as it wasn't taxed. I was told there was "a good half a gallon" in the tank, so a couple of litres, plenty to get to the petrol station I thought... Wrong! Ran lovely on the side stand but when upright, not so much. Turning right killed it completely. Figure there's maybe 200ml sloshing about in the bottom there somewhere (and yes, I had remembered to switch to reserve ), with a bit of strategic leaning I should make it to the petrol station, mostly downhill anyway and no more right turns between there and where I was now sat. Made it to one street away from the petrol station before it gave up completely, so at least now I didn't have so far to push it
Push bike to petrol station, hoping it will be deserted. It isn't, first people I see are two 16 year old 'ped riders. I expected howls of derisive laughter, but they seemed quite sympathetic which was nice. Now at this point remember that my entire riding history consists of CBT plus about two-thirds of a mile of running out of petrol, so this is my first two-wheeled visit to a petrol station, and I haven't actually ridden the thing in anything above 2nd gear yet.
I'm sure there is a place that one is supposed to put ones helmet whilst filling up, but I haven't worked out where that is yet. Balanced on the bike seemed a recipe for disaster, on the floor seemed like I'd end up with a rather smelly helmet (phnarr!), so arm through the chin strap is where it ended up. What do those of you more practiced in forecourt protocol do with yours?
Filling up was remarkably uneventful, and the amount that went in certainly reinforced the feeling that there was not much above vapour in there beforehand. Paid, kitted up, back on bike at last, started up fine. Finally, I get to actually ride it some 40 minutes after leaving the house and now rapidly approaching darkness.
Wobbled out of the petrol station much to the amusement of a passing pedestrian, I figure we all have to start somewhere, laugh all you like. Nice stretch of wide straight road, finally got above 2nd gear and up to 30mph and suddenly the world feels like a better place, round the block a couple of times to practice turning and remembering to cancel indicators (long time car driver, that's going to take some getting used to!), making sure I'm doing all the things I learnt from CBT then figure I'd better head home before it gets any darker, don't want to get too ambitious on my first run out. Up through the town, first set of traffic lights encountered, and then up the hill and back home much to the relief of my wife who by now is thinking I'm in a ditch somewhere. All in all, happy with that as a first run, even if I did only clock up an handful of miles and at least 0.3 of one of them was pushing the bike.
See if I can get into double figures on the miles on Saturday... ____________________ Previous bikes: Dreadful Chinese "Suzuki" 125, '91 Kawasaki KH125, '83 Suzuki GSX550
Current bike: '97 Yamaha Thundercat |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Shinigami |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Shinigami World Chat Champion

Joined: 14 Feb 2012 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Billo63 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Billo63 Crazy Courier

Joined: 02 Jul 2012 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 12:18 - 21 Sep 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
1st step always full of trepidation, you've done that now & will feel bloody good for doing it too!
Try to vary ride times to include peak/off peak traffic, think of it all as practise , relax those hands - death grip is called death grip for a very good reason
The more you ride, the more comfortable you will become & the more natural things feel as it all starts to come together
Re; helmet, leave on whilst filling up - especially if you have a flip front then shouldn't be any issue with Johnny Jobsworth attendant/cashier. If need to remove then as above post is ideal.
Good luck with everything, ride safe & above all.........ENJOY  ____________________ I might not be a gynecologist, but I know a cunt when I see one |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Firkit |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Firkit Two Stroke Sniffer

Joined: 18 Aug 2012 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 12:33 - 21 Sep 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
Yeah, was very conscious of the death grip, came away from CBT feeling like I'd arm-wrestled a bear, though I think mainly from the slow speed stuff in the morning wasn't so bad once out on the road and getting into the swing of it.
20 years since learning to drive I think I've blanked out what a learning curve it was, bit like being back to square one this, but at least I've got those 20 years of experience on the road. Kinda wish I'd done my bike test back when I was a fearless teenager.
It is a flip-front helmet, not sure why I took it off in the first place  ____________________ Previous bikes: Dreadful Chinese "Suzuki" 125, '91 Kawasaki KH125, '83 Suzuki GSX550
Current bike: '97 Yamaha Thundercat |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| dungbug |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 dungbug Could Be A Chat Bot

Joined: 05 Feb 2012 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 12:39 - 21 Sep 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
The first solo ride is always a bit nervous (I found that anyway), keep doing short rides and build up gradually. It'll all be second nature in no time, ride safe.  ____________________ CBT: Pass 25/06/2011 Theory Test: Pass12/06/2012 Mod 1: Fail 08/07/2012
Mod 1 Retest: Pass 15/0702012 Mod 2: Pass 03/08/2012
Suzuki GN125 (Sold) ~ Current bike: Yamaha YZF 600R Thundercat |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MeatHelmet |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MeatHelmet Scooby Slapper

Joined: 09 Sep 2012 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 12:41 - 21 Sep 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
I love reading stories like this. It's the simple things that I will no doubt fall foul of! (Yet to even sit on a bike!)
Very envious  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Clanger |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Clanger Stirrer

Joined: 27 May 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 12:44 - 21 Sep 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
If you look through the search topic button, you will find that most of us loathe to take off our lids at petrol stations, so most of the responses you will get regarding this are 'on my head'.
Other than that, I will often use my right hand mirror as the place to prop the helmet, that's certainly my chosen place when getting ready to get on my bike after getting it out of the garage at home.
Anyway, welcome to the world of bikes. And when you've managed to ride the 100 odd miles on your £12 full tank of petrol, you will realise why soooo many of us love our bikes.  ____________________ Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Firkit |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Firkit Two Stroke Sniffer

Joined: 18 Aug 2012 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 12:58 - 21 Sep 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
| MeatHelmet wrote: | I love reading stories like this. It's the simple things that I will no doubt fall foul of! (Yet to even sit on a bike!)
|
Excellent, I hoped it might be useful/entertaining for someone just starting out like me.
| Clanger wrote: | If you look through the search topic button, you will find that most of us loathe to take off our lids at petrol stations, so most of the responses you will get regarding this are 'on my head'. |
Yeah, shall try that next time.
| Clanger wrote: | ...I will often use my right hand mirror as the place to prop the helmet... |
Get the feeling my mirror might just drop off if I hung the helmet off it. Doesn't feel like the most secure bit of spindly metal.
| Clanger wrote: | Anyway, welcome to the world of bikes. And when you've managed to ride the 100 odd miles on your £12 full tank of petrol, you will realise why soooo many of us love our bikes.  |
That's the feeling I'm aiming for Managed to cram £16 worth in there from a very empty starting point, so what's that? 11.5 litres or about 2.5 gallons. Should be good for a couple of hundred miles I hope, though I'll be making sure I don't run out again, that lesson has definitely been learnt  ____________________ Previous bikes: Dreadful Chinese "Suzuki" 125, '91 Kawasaki KH125, '83 Suzuki GSX550
Current bike: '97 Yamaha Thundercat |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rogerborg |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rogerborg nimbA

Joined: 26 Oct 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 13:09 - 21 Sep 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
Did you remember to flip the fuel tap back to main?  ____________________ Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ollossm |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ollossm Nova Slayer
Joined: 13 Sep 2012 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 13:13 - 21 Sep 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
When filling up helmet tends to stay on my head.
Local garage has got used to me. Initially they used to ask me to remove it and I always used to reply do you want me to pay for the petrol or not...now I just get withering looks
A lot of garages are making it easier now though...pay at the pump
Don't forget to come back from reserve to main though  ____________________ _______________________________________________________________
current bike: 2012 Honda CBF 125
past bikes: 2004 Suzuki VanVan 125 - 1988 MZ/Simson 50cc |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Firkit |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Firkit Two Stroke Sniffer

Joined: 18 Aug 2012 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Andy_Pagin |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Andy_Pagin World Chat Champion

Joined: 08 Nov 2010 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| SamWise72 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 SamWise72 Trackday Trickster
Joined: 16 Sep 2012 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Mark 37 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Mark 37 Trackday Trickster
Joined: 27 Jun 2012 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Firkit |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Firkit Two Stroke Sniffer

Joined: 18 Aug 2012 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MCW |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MCW World Chat Champion

Joined: 20 Aug 2012 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Firkit |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Firkit Two Stroke Sniffer

Joined: 18 Aug 2012 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| thepuma |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 thepuma World Chat Champion

Joined: 16 Jul 2012 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 15:49 - 21 Sep 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
Your first ride is always a worrying one. Mine was when I went to pick my bike up, I'd only ever been on a bike on my CBT and this bike was 35 miles away.
I got there, paid for it, then literally the minute I got on it to come back, the heavens opened and it pissed it down monsoon style for almost ALL of the trip back, through country lanes,towns,villages etc etc that I'd never been through before.....I was sh@tting myself to be honest...some huge multilane islands that I was negotiating almost blind cos my visor was wet and fogged up. I didn't have waterproof boots or trousers too, so I was totally soaked through.
It was hell to be honest, but I made it back in one piece and you know what, I learnt a heck of a lot in that 50 minute trip.....and it taught me that you should never abandon doing something that scares you, hit it head on and you'll learn from it.
My first trip to the ptrol station was farcical too, I just couldn't get the petrol to go in....it just kept clicking and clicking and took me about 10 minutes just to get £8. Of fuel in!!...and then the faff of taking your helmet off, gloves off (so you can get your wallet out), i was pretty flustered by the time I got back on the bike. But, its all a learning curve....t. ____________________ YBR125 (SOLD) - CBR250R(SOLD) - CBR650F(SOLD) Current - Street Triple
765 RS |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MCW |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MCW World Chat Champion

Joined: 20 Aug 2012 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Firkit |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Firkit Two Stroke Sniffer

Joined: 18 Aug 2012 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 16:04 - 21 Sep 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
| thepuma wrote: | Your first ride is always a worrying one. Mine was when I went to pick my bike up, I'd only ever been on a bike on my CBT and this bike was 35 miles away.
I got there, paid for it, then literally the minute I got on it to come back, the heavens opened and it pissed it down monsoon style for almost ALL of the trip back |
I remember reading you account of that trip at the time, I think that was probably about when I decided to restrict my bike search to within 10 miles of home or deliverable
I agree with you about the whole "Feel the fear and do it anyway" thing. I'm more of an "ease in at the shallow end" type than a "straight off the high board and get the shock out of the way" sort if that makes any sense.
| Midlife Crisis Woman wrote: | You can bump-start the bike, is there someone local to show you how? |
Yeah, the guy at the next desk at work is a long-time biker and has offered to show me handy techniques like that, and also go through routine maintenance drill, which is nice. ____________________ Previous bikes: Dreadful Chinese "Suzuki" 125, '91 Kawasaki KH125, '83 Suzuki GSX550
Current bike: '97 Yamaha Thundercat |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Teflon-Mike |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Teflon-Mike tl;dr

Joined: 01 Jun 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 16:08 - 21 Sep 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Andy_Pagin wrote: | I just fill up at home from jerry cans. |
Here's a thunk/tip for you.
I have jerry cans for two stroke for the cota, critically mixed at 45:1; another for the lawn mower. Theres one for teh strimmer, and another full of stale, 'crap' used to clean stuff.
Filling from jerry's.... yeah doing it many years, still end up spilling teh damn stuff, AND tend to get crap in the fuel from the jerry.
Fed up, trying to find a jerry one day, and or work out which was which.......
1/ Turned fuel tap 'off' pulled hose.
2/ Lifted seat, undid the SINGLE bolt that usually holds a tank on.
3/ pressed out side-panel lugs - didn't even bother removing them.
4/ Wiggled tank out of steady's...
5/ Dropped BIKE petrol tank in boot of car....
6/ Filled with fuel in the boot, while filling car
Came home, put it back on.
Its actually not great ball-ache......
JUST remember to take the bike keys if you have a locking petrol cap! ____________________ My Webby'Tef's-tQ, loads of stuff about my bikes, my Land-Rovers, and the stuff I do with them!
Current Bikes:'Honda VF1000F' ;'CB750F2N' ;'CB125TD ( 6 3 of em!)'; 'Montesa Cota 248'. Learner FAQ's:= 'U want to Ride a Motorbike! Where Do U start?' |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Zombeh |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Zombeh Nitrous Nuisance

Joined: 04 May 2012 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Alex_B |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Alex_B Brolly Dolly
Joined: 15 Jul 2011 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 19:53 - 21 Sep 2012 Post subject: |
 |
|
Yea, cool story Bro
Takes me back to my first ride and stuff after CBT. Through London, Blackwall Tunnel and so on. Great days.
It only ever feels like that again when you buy a new bike
Enjoy these times and remember them. Think how careful you were trying to be and be that guy in a year or two. It will keep you safe.
I enjoyed reading your lil escapade, fun times yea  ____________________ My Lane Position is always AWESOME!! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ScaredyCat |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ScaredyCat World Chat Champion

Joined: 19 May 2012 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Derivative |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Derivative World Chat Champion
Joined: 03 Aug 2010 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 14 years, 10 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|