Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CBR929RR-Y Digital Display Not working

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Nick280
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:59 - 23 Sep 2012    Post subject: CBR929RR-Y Digital Display Not working Reply with quote

Hi,

I went for a ride on my 2002 CBR 929 RR-Y today but when switching the ignition on, the LCD Displays, main and temp, did not work. When started, neither did the rev counter.

The Turn indicators, neutral light, main beam light and back lighting all work but no LCD or Rev counter.

I went out on it anyway but still didn't work when i got back. Tried disconnecting the battery for a couple of hours, tried removing the clocks but still blank.

I read a bit about this on the Internet but nothing about how to fix it. There is a guy on ebay offering to fix them for £125.00 but as my KTM just shreaded a main bearing, I have very little spare funds at the moment.

Does anybody know how to fix the fault?

Thanks,

DOS
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:27 - 23 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need a manual to check this out.

I worked on one theses a few times and in the manual it says there is a wire connector under the seat I believe that you short.
There is a light at the clocks that flashes to tell you what is wrong.
You count how many times it flashes and there is a code in the manual that will say what is wrong.

I think the connector has blue and a white wires and is not connected to anything.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nick280
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:32 - 23 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the wires you talk of but didn't know what they did. Are these the fault code reader pins?

I'm not familiar with bike diagnostics but I know quite a bit about car diagnostics.

So just short the 2 pins out and switch ignition on yeah?

Count the flashes from the ECU light?

DOS
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:54 - 23 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant remember that well but you short it with a paper clip/ turn on the ignition with the kill switch turned to run I think.

You should be able to download a manual easy enough.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Noxious89123
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:19 - 24 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a download link for a workshop manual.
https://www.cbrextreme.com/downloads/manuals/honda_cbr929rr_repair_manual-10.html

Take a look at section 5-8, it goes into detail about the self-diagnostics and reading the error codes.

Section 5-12 tells you what the error codes mean.

There's also information in there about checking voltages for the tachometer/speedometer, to find out which component is faulty. Ie. ECU / speedo / tacho / speed sensor etc.

Fireblades.org says that the speed sensor is the usual culprit, but that wouldn't explain why you've lost the rev counter too. Would be worthwhile to check all the fuses, as that's quick and easy to do first.

Thumbs Up Smile

janner_10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:20 - 24 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its anything like the 600, there is a connector on the LHS underneath the front headlight fairings. My digital speedo was playing up, I had the correct voltage and pulsing from the sensor.

The cable was routed very badly to this connector so every time I rode it would pull the speedo pin out slightly. Cleaned the connectors and re-routed - all is well now.

I would check this connector, could be loose if none of your display is working.

Nick280
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:44 - 24 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for help.

I tried to read the codes but it would appear that the red LED doesn't work either.

I checked the voltages and earths, connections etc and all appear to be ok, leading me to think it is a fault with the unit itself.

Anybody had a similar fault?

Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:48 - 24 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will be lucky to find someone with the same fault on the same model,

Best bet mate is to go in a main dealer and speak to a technician and see what they say...

then if they say it's a common problem with the unit it self, you can buy a second hand unit online...

Good luck...

Matt

janner_10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:06 - 24 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try having a dig around here Nick: https://cbrforum.com/forum/

I would avoid the dealer, when I phoned about my problem, they were trying to sell me a new display!

Nick280
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:11 - 24 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

janner_10 wrote:
Try having a dig around here Nick: https://cbrforum.com/forum/

I would avoid the dealer, when I phoned about my problem, they were trying to sell me a new display!

Cheers Janner,

I'll have a look and see if I can find anything useful.

I cant afford a new unit, I've read they're £600+

My KTM has just absorbed £700 of my money and I'm not done yet Sad
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 188 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1