Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Doh - water in carbs....

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Dusty
King of the Rim



Joined: 25 Mar 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:13 - 26 Oct 2004    Post subject: Doh - water in carbs.... Reply with quote

Have nearly finished work on the bros hopefully, but when I took the tank off and removed the air filter, I put the top back on the airbox thinking it would keep the rain out. It hasn't. Neutral

Just went down to look at it and it has a pool of water in the air box that goes up to the level that the tubes to the carbs start at, so it seems likely that at least some has run down into the carbs. I assuming this is not good. Any suggestions as to what I should do about it? Smile
____________________
Gallery
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Korn
Admin



Joined: 01 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:18 - 26 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure no water has run down the intake rubbers into the engine? Cos if it has and you try to start it... Doh!
____________________
3516 Miles, 11 Countries
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:21 - 26 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Empty the airbox (and check the drain is free, as many airboxes have a small drain hole). Undo the drain screws on the carbs and drain the water put. Take the spark plugs out and turn the engine over (probably best to do it by hand, at least at first). Might be worth draining the oil as well (certainly if the oil level has mysteriously gone up).

If the water hasn't been in there long then it is unlikely to cause a major problem but if you crank the engine over with water in the cylinders then you stand a chance of a fluid lock resulting in a bent con rod.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dusty
King of the Rim



Joined: 25 Mar 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:22 - 27 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korn wrote:
Are you sure no water has run down the intake rubbers into the engine? Cos if it has and you try to start it... Doh!

Erm I think some may well have got into the engine, but hopefully it might wash out some of the brake fluid I put in there a couple of weeks ago (by mistake Laughing ).

kickstart wrote:
Empty the airbox (and check the drain is free, as many airboxes have a small drain hole). Undo the drain screws on the carbs and drain the water put. Take the spark plugs out and turn the engine over (probably best to do it by hand, at least at first). Might be worth draining the oil as well (certainly if the oil level has mysteriously gone up).

If the water hasn't been in there long then it is unlikely to cause a major problem but if you crank the engine over with water in the cylinders then you stand a chance of a fluid lock resulting in a bent con rod.

Thanks for the advice keith, if the bros was a better bike or I hadn't needed it so soon, or been as lazy as I am I would have acted on everything you said.

Unfortuanately I am distictly lazy, so I just dried up what I could by putting tissue down the carbs and then put it back together. I tried starting it and just got a very loud 'click' type noise that sounded like a relay but was uncommonly loud. Me and G then tried bumping it but even in fith the rear wheel was just locking. At this point I started to be a bit worried. G suggested checking the oil, which I did and found it wasn't registering at all. So in goes 1.5 litres of oil, now it is just registering on the bottom of the dipstick, when the bike is on the side stand. I try starting it again. More siezedy kinda clicking noises.

I decide to try taking one of the plugs out only to discover that we only have 10mm and 14mm plug sockets and I need a 12mm. At this point I pretty much reside myself to thew conclusion that I've killed it at last.

As an afterthought I try bumping it backwards, much to my surprise the rear wheel turn a bit and the engine grinds over. So I bump it backwards a bit more, then bump it forwards a bit and the engine turns over but still doesn't want to start. I hook the jump pack up and after five minutes of trying it splutters back to life.

\o/

The bros lives. Very Happy
____________________
Gallery
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 347 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.06 Sec - Server Load: 0.47 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 43.59 Kb