Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


police vans

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

ClydeGhost
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 20 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:28 - 19 Oct 2012    Post subject: police vans Reply with quote

so, going to uni I over took a bus on a 50 limit, I ended up blasting it past 60 until I saw the van (one of those speed cameras in a van i guess?) up ahead. I managed to get my speed down to 52ish when I got near and past it. ugh. so stupid. I didnt see it, it didnt do anything.
i dont think i got away with it... What happens now? a letter through the post? speeding ticket? or something on my license?

Fancy that, the one time I speed theres a speed camera set up.
____________________
Honda CBF125 : Suzuki GS500
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

hellbound
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jan 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:36 - 19 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging from previous answers to the question

30 days time you'll get a fine and 3 points thing through the post which you can contest.

You may also hear nothing as they might have been having a cuppa at the time.
____________________
May you always see the road rising up to meet you and your enemies defeated in the mirror behind.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ClydeGhost
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 20 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:38 - 19 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellbound wrote:
Judging from previous answers to the question

30 days time you'll get a fine and 3 points thing through the post which you can contest.

You may also hear nothing as they might have been having a cuppa at the time.


3points? ahhhh. noooo. I think? what does 3 points mean? cant I just get a warning, seeing as I've never done it before?

hopefully it was cold enough that they were busy with a cuppa.
____________________
Honda CBF125 : Suzuki GS500
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Conzar
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:09 - 19 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cameras in the vans can pick your speed up from quite a distance so if they were bothering you probably would have got caught.
If not your lucky, if you do get caught expect a NIP £60 fine and 3 points.
Also ask for the option for a speed awareness course.
____________________
Current ride: ZX6R 636 ------- Previous:KTM EXC 450 Supermoto --- ZX6R B1H --Hornet 600--CBR 600--SV650
11:05:35 Rob Fzs: i just wanna own an rd350 valve before they send us to war with durkadurkastan
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

truslack
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:10 - 19 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClydeGhost wrote:

3points? ahhhh. noooo. I think? what does 3 points mean? cant I just get a warning, seeing as I've never done it before?

hopefully it was cold enough that they were busy with a cuppa.


Seriously? You have a licence but don't understand how points work?

You will be sent an NIP within 14 days, may be offered a speed awareness course or it may be passed on to the CPS.

And everyone knows, point's mean prizes!
____________________
Current: Suzuki RG 125 Gamma, Honda H100, Triumph Tiger 800XC, Suzuki SV650 (minitwin)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Benno
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:28 - 19 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's your first time or it has been 2 years since your last time you can do a speed awareness course, which costs the same as a fine, but you don't get points.
____________________
I'm autistic. That means I'm smarter than you.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Knightsy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Jun 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:32 - 19 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

You dun goofed.
In 2 weeks you'll get a friendly letter telling you how badly you'll be bummed.
As others have said: If it's your first time you should (doesn't mean you will) be able to do speed awareness course. If it's not well, you're sheer out of luck.
____________________
09' Versys 650 | 07' FJR1300A


Last edited by Knightsy on 13:41 - 19 Oct 2012; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

shereen
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:37 - 19 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benno wrote:
If it's your first time or it has been 2 years since your last time you can do a speed awareness course, which costs the same as a fine, but you don't get points.


LOL WUT -Is this gospel for any speeding offence? I think not. Laughing

I was under the impression speed awareness courses are offered depending on which county you were in, I dont think it is a general option? Also it depends on the speed you were going.

Obviously they are not going to let you off for doing 120mph in a 30 zone.......
____________________
"The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dodgydog
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Sep 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:51 - 19 Oct 2012    Post subject: Re: police vans Reply with quote

ClydeGhost wrote:
so, going to uni I over took a bus on a 50 limit, I ended up blasting it past 60 until I saw the van (one of those speed cameras in a van i guess?) up ahead. I managed to get my speed down to 52ish when I got near and past it. ugh. so stupid. I didnt see it, it didnt do anything.
i dont think i got away with it... What happens now? a letter through the post? speeding ticket? or something on my license?

Fancy that, the one time I speed theres a speed camera set up.


Notice of Intended Prosecution (NIP) ought to arrive within 14 days. It will ask who was riding at that time and date and location, you will have 28 days to reply, and you have nothing to gain by delaying your reply.

MOST IMPORTANT.
Keep everything including the envelope any NIP comes in, and get proof of posting when you reply.
Failure to reply will be 6 points, a huge fine, and a shite code on your license that means insurers will shaft you for a minimum of five years.
Your reply should be unequivocal, they will treat anything other than your name and license No as failure to furnish, (as in, well it might have been me, or yes it possibly was, but I wasn't going that fast).

You are entitled to ask for any photographs that will assist in identifying the rider, but it does not stop the 28 day clock from running. You are not entitled to ask for any proof or evidence at this stage. Remember, they are just asking who was riding / driving at this stage.

Sometime after you reply, you will receive COFP, Conditional offer of a fixed penalty. Usually a £60 fine, and 3 points. They may offer you a "course", so instead of the points and fine, you may pay anything up to £100 to have your "behaviour modified", but you don't have to surrender you license and take points then.
Note also, the courses are usually offered you are not officially entitled to request one, although there's no harm in asking.

Having said all that, if your speedo was reading 60, and you were in a 50, you might be lucky and not hear anything. They could have been setting up, or just not bothered to make a note of your vrm.

Good luck
____________________
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you heard is not exactly what I meant
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dodgydog
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Sep 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:58 - 19 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benno wrote:
If it's your first time or it has been 2 years since your last time you can do a speed awareness course, which costs the same as a fine, but you don't get points.


No speed awareness courses in Scotland at all, most other areas offer them, but not all.
I think (might be wrong) it's 3 years between courses, and they are usually more expensive than the fine.
Mine was £80 for a four hour lecture, but as you say, no points and also not necessary to disclose it to insurers.
____________________
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you heard is not exactly what I meant
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:00 - 19 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

50 limit means in practice 57mph for prosecution (+10% + 2mph). Speedos over read by about 5%. Do the arithmetic.

It's borderline, and you might get offered a "speed awareness" scam.

Don't sweat it until the NIP and Section 72 (the part that actually demands details of the rider) arrives. As Mr Dog points out, you should definitely get proof of postage of your reply.

An unscrupulous person might note that having such proof of postage might be seen as an Interpretations Act defence even if you were to inadvertently return an empty envelope.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Joenitro
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 10 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:09 - 19 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do those vans get the rear reg plate? I thought they just read the front one.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpha-9
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:20 - 19 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something hot about a girl speeding on a motorbike Thinking Drooling
put it away

You'll probably be fine, don't sweat it
There's a duel carriageway that's a 50 limit with camera signs on my route, pretty sure there's no cameras though, I always do it as fast as I can
____________________
Fzr-600 1999
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:22 - 19 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have come across 3 camera vans this year when been ummm.. making progress, shall we say. I have yet to get a ticket. I have no idea why, maybe can they not get bikes so easily, maybe they can't be arsed to turn round and look at the reg plate as I've gone passed, I have no idea.

The one up in the peaks had me dead to rights overtaking a lorry at silly speeds in a 50 so all I can presume is they stick some of these vans out with no gear in, just to make people slow down.

In other words, don't worry about it, there is fuck all you can do till you get the nip.
____________________
Victory Cross Country American tractor.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

truslack
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:34 - 19 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpha-9 wrote:
Something hot about a girl speeding on a motorbike Thinking Drooling


60mph on a CBF125 is hot? Whatever floats your boat Laughing
____________________
Current: Suzuki RG 125 Gamma, Honda H100, Triumph Tiger 800XC, Suzuki SV650 (minitwin)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpha-9
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:35 - 19 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

truslack wrote:
Alpha-9 wrote:
Something hot about a girl speeding on a motorbike Thinking Drooling


60mph on a CBF125 is hot? Whatever floats your boat Laughing

When i'm on a YBR? Shit yeah.

I see a chick on a new CG on my route sometimes, can't help but perv on them Laughing
____________________
Fzr-600 1999
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:43 - 19 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joenitro wrote:
Do those vans get the rear reg plate? I thought they just read the front one.


Most only get the front. Some take piccies as you go past

Mark
____________________
Current bikes: Honda ST1100 Pan European. Moto Guzzi V85 TT Travel
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:06 - 19 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'd be hard pressed to still find one that can't film from all angles. Don't assume that you're safe once you're past, there are plenty of caught-on-camera lulz to be had from that.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Joncrete Cungle
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:05 - 19 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showforum=5

Is your best port of call ^^^

Some camera vans now have a camera on the side and one looking through the windscreen to catch bikers. Fourteen day wait to see if you get a NIP in the post assuming your Department of Various Lost Articles paperwork is tickety boo.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

jetski
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 26 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:16 - 19 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like for a large part of the time you were the other side of the bus. its not going to clock you there. plus you got your speed down. I'd say you have a good chance of not hearing anything on this
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:25 - 19 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benno wrote:
If it's your first time or it has been 2 years since your last time you can do a speed awareness course, which costs the same as a fine, but you don't get points.


I've had 2 x 3points for speeding and never been offer the course.
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ajag
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 08 Aug 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:34 - 19 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just got your license yesterday or the day before right? That means that you are under the new drivers act https://www.gov.uk/penalty-points-endorsements/new-drivers
____________________
Street Triple
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ClydeGhost
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 20 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:44 - 19 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajag wrote:
You just got your license yesterday or the day before right? That means that you are under the new drivers act https://www.gov.uk/penalty-points-endorsements/new-drivers


Yep. Just yesterday. SO I have 3 more points (provided I got point for this possible speeding ticket) before they take my pretty pink license away? D: Maaaaan. I don't speed alot anyway....
____________________
Honda CBF125 : Suzuki GS500
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

angryjonny
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:53 - 19 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpha-9 wrote:
There's a duel carriageway that's a 50 limit with camera signs on my route, pretty sure there's no cameras though, I always do it as fast as I can

53?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

angryjonny
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:55 - 19 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClydeGhost wrote:
ajag wrote:
You just got your license yesterday or the day before right? That means that you are under the new drivers act https://www.gov.uk/penalty-points-endorsements/new-drivers


Yep. Just yesterday. SO I have 3 more points (provided I got point for this possible speeding ticket) before they take my pretty pink license away? D: Maaaaan. I don't speed alot anyway....

Ok so you're really new. You will, in time, go through quite a lot of cameras and past vans etc over the limit. You'll speed past unmarked coppers without realising it. Sometimes you'll notice, sometimes you won't. You only get NIPs through some of the time, when you're unlucky - unless you're really taking the peepee. We've all done it and we'll all do it again.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 352 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.35 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 132.82 Kb