Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Decent(ish) places around South London?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Misc
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Aug 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:06 - 21 Nov 2012    Post subject: Decent(ish) places around South London? Reply with quote

Started out with the more 'decent' areas but struggling to find a 1 bed flat within my price range so after some help on expanding my search. Ideally, just in front of the M25 but it's proving to be difficult. Going to have to go further in but don't want a scummy area, so please can the people in the know list some areas.

Cheers Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:32 - 21 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brighton.
____________________
Bikers make great organ donors, get 115 on your licence today.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Misc
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Aug 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:29 - 22 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to add that I work in London and live n Maidstone so trying to get somewhere closer with a 30 min train journey.

I like Brighton though.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

LustyLew
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:57 - 22 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

30mins on a train can put you either side of the M25...

Where do you need to get to in London. Victoria? London Bridge? Cannon Street/Charing Cross?

I've always tried to move to areas where the commute isn't too shit. Adding tube travel to your journey will increase the risk of delays and add about 30% to your train fare.

What about if the trains royally fuck up? I could walk home from my office, it might take me 4 hours, but I can do it. If you were to live in Sevenoaks for example (which is 30mins on the train) you'd stand no chance of getting home if the shit hits the fan.

All that aside, what's decent to you?

Walking distance to bars and shops that are decent? Expect to pay over the odds.
Peace and tranquillity, yet close to transport? See above.

Anyway, for suggestions:

Lewisham, Catford, Forest Hill, Brockley, Beckenham, Bromley, Grove Park. I've lived in SE London all my life and honestly, there's only a few small areas I'd really not live.

Bit of advice about viewing flats in areas you don't know. Take time to look round the area. Get there at different times of day if you can.

I recently went to look at a place in West Croydon, initially I was dubious due to the vast number of Halal butchers and Afro-Caribbean food markets... But as I wandered and watched people go about their day, I realised my casual xenophobia was unjust. It was actually the while drunks, harassing everyone, sifting through rubbish and picking up used fag butts, generally being scum that put me off the area.
____________________
Like a Yorkie - I'm not for the girls Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

guile
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 20 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:20 - 22 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

LustyLew wrote:
I recently went to look at a place in West Croydon, initially I was dubious due to the vast number of Halal butchers and Afro-Caribbean food markets... But as I wandered and watched people go about their day, I realised my casual xenophobia was unjust.


OP - don't listen to this guy. He is recommending some of the worst places I have ever visited. These aren't the sort of places where a motorcycle will last long.

Try looking at the South-West for better places.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

LustyLew
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:31 - 22 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

guile wrote:


OP - don't listen to this guy. He is recommending some of the worst places I have ever visited. These aren't the sort of places where a motorcycle will last long.

Try looking at the South-West for better places.



Perhaps you'd like to read the original post again?!

If Misc is struggling on the outskirts, do you REALLY think he/she'll be able to afford SW London? Over-inflated prices just because the Borough is 'upon-Thames'!

For the record, I repeat, I have lived in SE London ALL MY LIFE. I have never, ever had a motorbike stolen. Besides, doesn't matter where you live, if some cunt wants your bike, they'll have it.
____________________
Like a Yorkie - I'm not for the girls Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:38 - 22 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend lives in South Croydon. I don't like it personally, too built up for me, but it's massively cheaper than Beckenham which is literally down the road less than a mile. Postcode lottery.

His bikes live out front of his place and in 30 odd years he has only had one stolen. Thumbs Up
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper



Joined: 24 Feb 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:07 - 22 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first moved down here, I moved to croydon. Give or take 18 months in Harrow, I've lived here 12 years.

London's a complete lottery, I've had lads from work own £1m town houses in New Cross on the same street as a drop in center for skag heads.

I've probably owned 30-odd bikes in that time and have never had one nicked. Quite the opposite tbh, my neighbours have always been very courteous.

Personally, I'd suggest Caterham, Whyteleafe, Biggin hill.. that sort of area..... it's 5 minutes from the M25 and 25 minutes from London Bridge / Victoria.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Minty
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:22 - 23 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSTEEL32 wrote:
When I first moved down here, I moved to croydon. Give or take 18 months in Harrow, I've lived here 12 years.

London's a complete lottery, I've had lads from work own £1m town houses in New Cross on the same street as a drop in center for skag heads.

I've probably owned 30-odd bikes in that time and have never had one nicked. Quite the opposite tbh, my neighbours have always been very courteous.

Personally, I'd suggest Caterham, Whyteleafe, Biggin hill.. that sort of area..... it's 5 minutes from the M25 and 25 minutes from London Bridge / Victoria.


25 minutes from Biggin Hill to central London? I assume you are flying then?

What is the opposite of having bikes stolen? Donated? Thinking

Croydon, a nice place to visit, an even better place to leave.
____________________
My fingers smell of your mum.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper



Joined: 24 Feb 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:49 - 23 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can ride up to work on a morning in 25 minutes from near whytleleaf, yup.

OP wants somewhere reasonable for the money, I think Biggin Hill's as good as any. If he lives in maidstone and he's 5 or 10 minutes from the M25, that would make sense to me.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Minty
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:15 - 23 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear selsdon is nice, very classy. No pink pubs up that way.
____________________
My fingers smell of your mum.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer



Joined: 03 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:43 - 23 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's your budget mate?

I moved out of north Kent into Essex because the cost and speed of travel ratio was a fair bit better. There's some nice areas around here that are cheap to live in and have great transport links. C2C trains are really bloody reliable, and city is 34 mins from mine in grays
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Misc
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Aug 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:04 - 24 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys!

Budget would be around £700 at a stretch (hoping some bills would be included)

I grew up in South East London, I've lived in Orpington, Beckenham, Mottingham, Bromley and now Maidstone.

The above aren't [i]too[/i]bad with the exception of Mottingham, which is one giant council estate.

Maidstone is actually quite nice, surrounded by greenery and I've not noticed many chavs on the streets apart from the town centre, whereas Mottingham they're around 247/7 roaming the streets.

Biggin Hill sounds good though. I don't want to go through estate agents so will try and get the local newshopper for each area.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer



Joined: 03 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:16 - 24 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crikey - the rental market has really moved. I rented a place in Chafford Hundred 5 years ago, 2 bedroom flat with 2 parking spaces and only 10 mins from the station and that was £625. Looks like you're hard pushed to spend less than £800 now.

I'd be tempted to have a look around Gidea Park, Romford and the like. Romford still has decent transport links and not all areas are ropey - certainly there's nicer parts of Romford than there is Mottingham, or even Orpington to an extent. The issue with these sorts of areas is that even if you're in a nice area you've still got to walk to the station which isn't in a nice area - same as where I am now; road I live on I'm absolutely fine with, but the station and high st are right shitters
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rob W
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:26 - 24 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
What's your budget mate?

I moved out of north Kent into Essex because the cost and speed of travel ratio was a fair bit better. There's some nice areas around here that are cheap to live in and have great transport links. C2C trains are really bloody reliable, and city is 34 mins from mine in grays


I was just about to mention Grays. Lived here all my life, not a bad area, close to local amenities (Lakeside etc), theC2C is reliable, and you can be into London in 25-30 minutes on a bike.

Whereabouts are you then arry mate? Anywhere near Stifford Clays?
____________________
'90 TS50 > '04 Senda 125 > '91 ZXR400 > '90 CB-1 > '04 GSX-R1000 > '96 Bandit 600 > '89 ZXR750 H1 > '96 GSX-R750 SRAD > '98 RR-W Fireblade > '98 T595 Daytona > '03 Hornet 900 > '04 Fireblade > '16 GSX-S1000F (x2) > '23 XSR900
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer



Joined: 03 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:13 - 25 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not far from there mate, Little Thurrock, so the other side of Lodge Lane. Mother in law lives over in Stifford Clays - alright over there too really.

The only bit of Grays that does me in is the town centre. Sure Seabrook rise would do me in too but I don't spend any time there lol
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 310 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 1.86 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 91.87 Kb