Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


New career

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Misc
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Aug 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:17 - 25 Nov 2012    Post subject: New career Reply with quote

I'm 26 years old and working in Air conditioning. I don't really enjoy it and it wasn't something I seeked out, but I would like a change of career to something like a Electrician or plumber, these would give me much more choices later in Life.

A few guys have done well from the job I'm in now, working in Oz, Finland and Canada etc. But it may be working on a site that I dislike, always wanted to do residential and have a company van, pension etc. I'm down as self employed so not much security.

So at 26, is my only choice to go back to college, then hope and pray a firm takes me on? (unlikely from what I've read) but chatting to a couple of carpenters at work, they said the government have a new scheme where they work with business to take on apprentices.

Any help is much appreciated.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

janner_10
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Sep 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:21 - 25 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

After spending 12 years running nightclubs, I changed my career at around 31.

I popped to the local college, got accepted on an Electrical Installation course. Because of my age it was free, I just needed an employer to take me on as an Adult Trainee.

I did something old fashioned then and wrote to every Electricians in Gloucestershire, Worcestershire & Wiltshire. Fucking too a whole week. Got a call from my last employers and it was done.

Got a bit delusional with being an Electrician so did my HND in Electrical Engineer and now contemplating a Bsc in the same.

That was a few years ago mind, the current climate may not make it so easy.

First port of call should be your local college to ask for advice.
____________________
Yamaha FZS600 (Now gone to heaven) > CBR600F4i (SOLD) > '99 YZF-R1
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

drzsta
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:53 - 25 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a house bashing electrician is shit. I know because I am one. Crying or Very sad


Janner what was the HND course like? What was the difficulty and content?

Cheers,

Ben.
____________________
Current Bikes - BMW S1000RR ‘17 & KTM 690 SMC-R ‘12
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

janner_10
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Sep 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:10 - 26 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never been a house basher, but I certainly don't envy you, pain in the ass from doing some homers!!

It was very interesting, I did it part-time over 3 years. Thankfully had the backing of my employer.

You have to give it a fair amount of time though, its a bit more involved than the C&G.

If you have the chance I would definitely advise it.
____________________
Yamaha FZS600 (Now gone to heaven) > CBR600F4i (SOLD) > '99 YZF-R1
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SpookyJam
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 23 Nov 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:35 - 26 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently at Uni but TRAINING TO BE A PLUMBER, because realistically its probably one of my best idea's right next to buying my current bike...

i've researched, respected people i hate to get information and some contact numbers etc etc and that sort of stuff that i'd prefer not to delve into...

Plumbing is great. its massively expansive, i'm in the middle of fixing my kitchen and bathroom (dont have suitable transport for material etc)

With plumbing there's very good chance for you to go into Gas and/or boiler system and washing machine repair.

Practice at home and things, take photo's as portfolio and your experience with proof builds.

Plumbing as a noobs point of view = Gas people will always need you, people on your road will need you. etc.

Plumbers do like having Gas people around as.. certain things a plumber can't do without being sued.

As a tinkerer, plumbing really is fun. ... I'm not sure what else there is to be said, mate. Thumbs Up
____________________
Current Bike: Deciding Between GT650 or SV650S
Former Bikes: Cbr125r, Cbr 125r, GS 125, GS200, Proj-GS125Rep, VX800, GS850L
Spooky.. Spooky.. All weather biker....Ride by instinct not by thought.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 310 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.94 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 46.24 Kb