Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Car suggestions, asking the impossible?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:28 - 15 Dec 2012    Post subject: Car suggestions, asking the impossible? Reply with quote

I'll be getting driving lessons for christmas and I've just got a new job so at some point in the next 6 months or so I'd quite like to get a car but with 6 points and a non fault accident to declare I'm not exactly insurance friendly. To add to that I want something that may offer a little grin factor (maybe RWD?).

I've resigned to the fact that nothing will be cheap until I've been driving for a few years so I'll have to take the hit until then but I'm looking for something that isn't unrealistically rediculous. The surprising winner so far is a 2.9 litre V6 Ford Granada which came in at £4000 Fully Comp. Compared to the surprise looser which was the Suzuki Cuppuccino at over £10,000!

Just to offer some comparison, the typical 1.25 zetec mk4 fiesta was around £3,500 to insure and the car costs double the Granada to buy.

So I'm after any suggestions of cars that will offer a grin and can be insured for around or less than the Granada quote, so that rules out hot hatches. Also the car needs to be buyable for less than £2000.

Lastly do I need to declare my motorcycle accident on the policy?
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:32 - 15 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember a friend had a huge lexus of some kind when he was 18 but I don't really know the lexus range. Any ideas?
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Mar 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:33 - 15 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF you have any motorbike NCB use these. If not and you can wait a year, build up a NCB on a bike and transfer it over.

Motorbike accident.. Depends how they phrase the question?

"Any claim or conviction?"
"Any driving claim or conviction?"

Just make sure you record the call to cover all bases.
____________________
"because one stroke isnt enough and four strokes waste two"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jan 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:34 - 15 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
I remember a friend had a huge lexus of some kind when he was 18 but I don't really know the lexus range. Any ideas?



LS, soarer or GS would be my guess.


Also - yes need to declare the MB accident, regardless of how the question is phrased. ^^^ Driving considers any motor propelled vehicle.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

T0MMY
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:07 - 15 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck me...£4000 for insurance??

MX5 is probably more fun than any other car you could buy in your budget (and well beyond it too) and it's in a lowish insurance group. Probably still too much though.

Something small and french would offer some fun handling wise. Obviously not the Gti/VTS/Rallye versions but maybe something like a 106 Xsi or something?

Actually, don't laugh but I used to have one of these...

https://skewer.co.uk/rockingham1.jpg

Actually quite good fun on road and track. They stopped calling it a gti and called it a Gsi so it dropped down 2 insurance groups Laughing I had a 416Sli as my first car and that was actually just as quick round knockhill and very cheap to insure.
____________________
ZX6R + CBR600RR


Last edited by T0MMY on 17:16 - 15 Dec 2012; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

covent.gardens
World Clap Champion



Joined: 09 Jun 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:15 - 15 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

cagiva gezzer wrote:
"Any claim or conviction?"
"Any driving claim or conviction?"

Driving isn't limited to cars, riding a motorcycle fits under the definition of "driving" so both of those questions mean the same thing.

They'd have to ask for "car claims" for you to get away with not having to reveal, IMO.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:29 - 15 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody would quote me on an mx5! Was my first choice too.
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

carvell
Scuttler



Joined: 05 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:32 - 15 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

cagiva gezzer wrote:
IF you have any motorbike NCB use these.

Not many insurance companies let you do this - make sure you check the small print.
____________________
Yamaha TDM 850
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:33 - 15 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 4000 is a huge amount of money just to throw away, but short of waiting three years to loose my points and claim there isn't much I can do to reduce it, at least by earning some no claims it will be less next year and the year after.
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sidewinder
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Aug 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:55 - 15 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to buy cars not associated with young drivers.Nephew just passed his test and was getting stupid quotes like yours.Then discovered korean cars are in the hundreds not the thousands to insure.Things like vectras and mondeos were very cheap to Thumbs Up .

These are a decent car to help get up your no claims Thumbs Up

Kia

Hyundai
____________________
"Nitrous is like a cheap hooker, you want to hit it but are scared of the consequences


Last edited by sidewinder on 18:02 - 15 Dec 2012; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ocatoro
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Sep 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:02 - 15 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

T0MMY wrote:
Fuck me...£4000 for insurance??

MX5 is probably more fun than any other car you could buy in your budget (and well beyond it too) and it's in a lowish insurance group. Probably still too much though.

Something small and french would offer some fun handling wise. Obviously not the Gti/VTS/Rallye versions but maybe something like a 106 Xsi or something?

Actually, don't laugh but I used to have one of these...

https://skewer.co.uk/rockingham1.jpg

Actually quite good fun on road and track. They stopped calling it a gti and called it a Gsi so it dropped down 2 insurance groups Laughing I had a 416Sli as my first car and that was actually just as quick round knockhill and very cheap to insure.


the gsi was a single cam and had 106bhp, compared to the twin cammed gti which had 130 (both honda). the gsi was barely anything more than a spoilered tarted up version of the basic one having had 2 of them. for some reason i don't think the 3dr ones look right, i prefer the 5dr. i've had a 214 boggo, 214 sei (the best one), 2x 216gsi, 1x 216 sli Very Happy

t0mmy's right OP, these little rovers can be had for pennies, look pretty aggressive when lowered, they've all got electric everything, lumbar support, decent spec, and because theyre not "cool", youngsters aren't crashing them and you'll likely get a decent deal on your insurance.

my preference is the 214sei. it's the 16v 1.4 they later used in the mg zr with 103bhp. it revs all day and is a cracking little motor.

had an mx5 too, and if you can get a quote from somewhere... make sure you get one. i bought mine back after selling it it was that good.
____________________
CBT - 17/09/12 * Theory - 23/10/12 * Mod1 - 05/03/13 * Mod2 - 25/03/13 * BOSH!
Current - None Sad but shed project H100 (first bike Smile )
Past - ER5, '93 ZZR600, '92 CB400 SF, ZZR600 (again), yellow Monster 620, Blackbird - black Monster 620ie - '96 ZZR600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bikertomm
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:10 - 15 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

My saxo VTR came out suprisingly cheap.. cheaper than other 'usual; boy racer cars even though it's the most stereotyped Laughing

Quote for an 02/03 plate VTR and VTS, great little cars IMO.

Thumbs Up
____________________
07' Honda Hornet now full powaah! My guide on performing an oil change!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ocatoro
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Sep 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:11 - 15 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

how old are you OP?

i've been looking at insurance for my kid brother recently, he's just turned 18.

so far, the cheapest cars to insure have been...

old mk2 polos in 1.0 spec. very basic, very cool in the right hands, and an appreciating classic nowadays. (newer polos are miles more to insure)

mk1 and 2 puntos are almost as cheap, negligible difference to the polo.

volvo 340/360... i forget which one is rwd... but they can be great fun, theyre like little tanks, so you'll be safe in an off, and again like the rovers, young folk avoid them for the most part.

one i was shocked by, was metro 1.1 was double the price quoted for a punto.

if you can afford an mx5, but not the insurance, take a look at porsche 924. the 2.0 audi engined one too. it's one of the few cars which is in the same realm as an mx5 for handling (there are porsche cup racing settings readily available for your local suspension folk to dial in on the standard adjustable gear) and you would benefit from classic insurance (if youre "too young", call them. i know a lad who had 3 classic cars insured at 17 for £600 odd because he rang and argued with them). i had a 924 a couple of years ago and the insurance was 1/4 what i'd paid for my mx5's policy. parts are also very cheap due to it all being vw/audi parts bin.
____________________
CBT - 17/09/12 * Theory - 23/10/12 * Mod1 - 05/03/13 * Mod2 - 25/03/13 * BOSH!
Current - None Sad but shed project H100 (first bike Smile )
Past - ER5, '93 ZZR600, '92 CB400 SF, ZZR600 (again), yellow Monster 620, Blackbird - black Monster 620ie - '96 ZZR600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:11 - 15 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds silly but whats a quote on L646 NNK, if it can't detect car, its a Toyota Supra.

10 claims non fault and 3 points... I was quoted £1500 FC.

It wasn't standard either. Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Villers
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:13 - 15 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not telling you what to do but I just wanted to offer a counter perspective! Im a big fan of 'do what you want' so if a RWD funfactory is what you have your heart set on then good on you and best of luck!

4k for insurance is a pretty amazing amount of money, Ive spent a while buying older cars and thinking I can put up with the costs and I always end up pretty sick of them, or they break or whatever. Ive recently given this up and bought a brand new car even though I always said I wouldnt, now Ive got my warranty, a fixed payment, economy, comfort, low tax, no MOT's etc. Its a fairly boring car but Ive got the point where Ive given up. Anyway, Im rambling so I'll get to the point. Manufacturers such as Peugeot are offering the personal leases where you 'just add fuel' for 3 years, insurance and everything is thrown in. If you are eligible for the insurance it means you have a new car for 3 years for as low as £200 a month and then you walk away with some more NCB etc.

Thats just an opinion, Im not saying its what you should do or anything, just that there are options if you are willing to sacrifice!

As for insurance (especially since you mentioned the fiesta) my mrs pays something crazy like £450 a year FC on her 1.4 diesel fiesta and shes 27. I phoned up my insurance company to put her on mine for my new car and it took £30 off the premium. I ran a quote for me on her car (31, 9+ NCB) and it came back at £350 with my current insurer who I was paying £400 FC for my 2.5 turbo volvo. Seems the fiestas are weighted a bit with some insurers.

Anyway whatever you choose to do, best of luck to you!! Wink
____________________
RS125 > CBR6 > SV650S > ZX636R > GSX1300RZ Hayabusa > 06 RSVR Mille > SV1000S > Street Triple 765 RS
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Al
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Feb 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:23 - 15 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never driven a 2.9L granada but I bet it's not the fun car that you are after, more of a dull old gas guzzler, I'd personally rather save 500 quid and get the Fiesta Smile , but its still crazy expensive.

For cheap insurance you need to imagine that you're about 80 and want a car to drive to the supermarket once a week. Deawoo, Kia, hyundai, the mid sized saloon models are probably the cheapest Laughing
____________________
Yamaha FZR400RR 3tj
My Instagram Thingy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

T0MMY
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:30 - 15 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

ocatoro wrote:

the gsi was a single cam and had 106bhp, compared to the twin cammed gti which had 130 (both honda). the gsi was barely anything more than a spoilered tarted up version of the basic one having had 2 of them. for some reason i don't think the 3dr ones look right, i prefer the 5dr. i've had a 214 boggo, 214 sei (the best one), 2x 216gsi, 1x 216 sli Very Happy

t0mmy's right OP, these little rovers can be had for pennies, look pretty aggressive when lowered, they've all got electric everything, lumbar support, decent spec, and because theyre not "cool", youngsters aren't crashing them and you'll likely get a decent deal on your insurance.

my preference is the 214sei. it's the 16v 1.4 they later used in the mg zr with 103bhp. it revs all day and is a cracking little motor.

had an mx5 too, and if you can get a quote from somewhere... make sure you get one. i bought mine back after selling it it was that good.


Mine was actually the 220. Not really worth it as I thought the single cam 1.6 was a sweeter engine and is more reliable (the honda one anyway). Pretty sure it was 115bhp which felt nippy enough next to the 136bhp of the 2.0 engine. I got very similar lap times between the 220Gsi and the 416Sli although the latter was on better tyres.
____________________
ZX6R + CBR600RR
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:47 - 15 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Afraid when the insurance comes out at something like £4k I would just give up on the idea.

There are loads of cars available for £2k. Not much of a restriction at all.

Also, not being funny but buying a car on the basis of rwd fun, when you have just passed your test and have no real experience is asking for trouble.

Al wrote:
I've never driven a 2.9L granada but I bet it's not the fun car that you are after, more of a dull old gas guzzler


That would be my feeling as well. Likely to be a softly sprung, poor handling lump with little feel through the steering.

If you want a rwd cheap sport car then try an Alfa 75, but good luck with parts (likely to apply to a Granada as well) and they are gits to do some jobs on (rear brake pads....)

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Joenitro
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 10 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:54 - 15 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a rover 620ti? There's one on eBay for £500 with low miles and they go like stink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Groove
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:54 - 15 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rover pictures reminded me of my old 220 turbo coupe.


Ahhhh memories! Very Happy
____________________
|| Past: 1991 Kawasaki ZXR 250 ~ 2003 Honda CBR 600 F Sport ~ 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R B1H 636 ~ 1999 Yamaha R1 ~ 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R J ~ 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R B1H 636 ~ 1998 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm ~ K1 GSXR 600 Track bike ~ K6 GSXR 1000 ~ 2006 Speed Triple 1050 || Current: 2005 R1 https://www.adrucore.co.uk
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

J4mes
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:07 - 15 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are over 25 then what about something which could be had on a classic insurance policy (if it covers commuting, some don't)

MGB GT ? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MGB-GT-/261140497988?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3ccd2fc644

Old mini? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-1000-Cooper-lookalike-/321034608566?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item4abf275fb6

Take both of them over a granada or a fiesta any day! Mr. Green
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Al
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Feb 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:34 - 15 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

J4mes wrote:
If you are over 25 then what about something which could be had on a classic insurance policy (if it covers commuting, some don't)


Normally with classic insurance you don't earn any no claims discount though, so next year you will be in the same situation unless you never buy a modern car
____________________
Yamaha FZR400RR 3tj
My Instagram Thingy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ocatoro
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Sep 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:38 - 15 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al wrote:
J4mes wrote:
If you are over 25 then what about something which could be had on a classic insurance policy (if it covers commuting, some don't)


Normally with classic insurance you don't earn any no claims discount though, so next year you will be in the same situation unless you never buy a modern car


i'd be happy with that.
____________________
CBT - 17/09/12 * Theory - 23/10/12 * Mod1 - 05/03/13 * Mod2 - 25/03/13 * BOSH!
Current - None Sad but shed project H100 (first bike Smile )
Past - ER5, '93 ZZR600, '92 CB400 SF, ZZR600 (again), yellow Monster 620, Blackbird - black Monster 620ie - '96 ZZR600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

J.M.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:57 - 15 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

##Paddy## wrote:
Sounds silly but whats a quote on L646 NNK, if it can't detect car, its a Toyota Supra.

10 claims non fault and 3 points... I was quoted £1500 FC.

It wasn't standard either. Laughing


6.5k cheapest Laughing
____________________
2004 R1 & 2018 XSR900
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:31 - 15 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Also, not being funny but buying a car on the basis of rwd fun, when you have just passed your test and have no real experience is asking for trouble.

All the best

Keith


I get where you're coming from but for what I can afford to buy and insure I am hardly going to be stepping into a 600bhp supercar, I don't see it as any more of a risk than passing the DAS and jumping on the latest GSXR600.
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 296 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.22 Sec - Server Load: 0.16 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 139.04 Kb