Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


If you had 6k to spend on a car what would you buy?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

0l0dom0l0
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:03 - 18 Dec 2012    Post subject: If you had 6k to spend on a car what would you buy? Reply with quote

To meet YOUR requirements.

So no good if you're 18 saying an M3, because insurance is another 3 grand. Or no good saying a nissan skyline if you've got a family with 4 kids etc.

The only criteria is that it's reliable, does 0-60 in less than 10 seconds and can be bought with sub 60k miles for 6k.

I'm curious, because I'm looking for a new car, and to get what I want, that's relatively new, with sensible mileage on it so less than 60k miles I'm looking to spend 6k. That's a seriously amount of money and I want to see what else is out there for that kind of money, thing I haven't thought about.

Did have a thread similar to this a while back about the 330d, which does meet the above requirements. Looked at a Seat Ibiza FR 1.9TDI yesterday which was lovely but very £££ so want to see what else people would buy as nothing is really screaming out to me atm!
____________________
CBT Passed: 30/08/2009, Theory Passed: 31/08/2010, Mod 1 Passed: 6/9/2010, Mod 2 Passed: 13/09/2010. Restriction ended 13/09/2012.

Bikes: 2007 Derbi GPR 50, 1998 Yamaha Fazer 600 (written off), 2002 Yamaha Fazer 600, 1994 CBR 600F, 2003 Triumph Daytona 600, Kawasaki ZX6R J1.....Current: 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 1998 Suzuki TL1000R and a Honda VFR 400 NC30.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:14 - 18 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, Supra. But it's because I love them Laughing

Sensible head on, Honda Civic 2.2d
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

0l0dom0l0
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:24 - 18 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

##Paddy## wrote:
Personally, Supra. But it's because I love them Laughing

Sensible head on, Honda Civic 2.2d


I read up on those when you posted about them before, but there was nothing but horror stories about DPF's and DMF's lol which put me off slightly Razz.
____________________
CBT Passed: 30/08/2009, Theory Passed: 31/08/2010, Mod 1 Passed: 6/9/2010, Mod 2 Passed: 13/09/2010. Restriction ended 13/09/2012.

Bikes: 2007 Derbi GPR 50, 1998 Yamaha Fazer 600 (written off), 2002 Yamaha Fazer 600, 1994 CBR 600F, 2003 Triumph Daytona 600, Kawasaki ZX6R J1.....Current: 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 1998 Suzuki TL1000R and a Honda VFR 400 NC30.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

D O G
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:27 - 18 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently lusting after a Citroen C4 Picasso diesel (but not the Grand version).

Yes, I have small children.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Joncrete Cungle
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:28 - 18 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF I get a new car next year it depends on my employer. If they are going to send me out all over the shop another cheap diesel run around is on the cards. Corsa / Astra / Clio DCi100 or maybe a Focus 1.8TDCi.

If I am staying within pissing distance of home, something petrol with a bit more poke might be on the cards. Civic type S, Focus ST170, Clio 172 / 182, 206 GTI 180, A3 1.8T.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

shereen
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:32 - 18 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

##Paddy## wrote:
Personally, Supra. But it's because I love them Laughing


+1

6K Gets you into the turbo league also Twisted Evil
____________________
"The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:34 - 18 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering the other vehicles I've got;
Probably in LPG if possible, a big luxury barge:
Phaeton 4 Motion
Range Rover
E39 M5, possibly a 7 series.

I would like a cheap to run car; but by definition a £6k car isn't going to be cheap to run as even if it's good on fuel, it's not going to be great on depreciation.

I can't do much better than my current van - I'd like to semi-convert it as a 'weekend' van, but the van it's self it's not going to be worth replacing.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

weasley
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:34 - 18 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMW 130i. Absolute rocket-ship in a sleeper disguise. I had one for 3.5 years and loved every minute. The engine has real character, makes a great noise, puts out 265 bhp (good for a 6s 0-60) but can get 30 mpg when driven realistically (better if you are restrained).
____________________
Yamaha XJ600 | Yamaha YZF600R Thundercat | KTM 990 SMT | BMW F900XR TE
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MarkJ
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:37 - 18 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I have a van instead? Embarassed

I'd get a VW Transporter. I go to work on the bike so car is only really used for trackdays and carting a drum kit to gigs, which would be so much easier with a van.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Chalky.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:42 - 18 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably a MK1 Focus RS.

But in reality I'd add it to my aston fund and look for a newer one.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

daemonoid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:42 - 18 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smart roadster brabus. My current roadster is my favourite car I've ever owned - I always feel happy getting in it.
____________________
current: ducati monster 750
past: hyosung gt250r, bajaj pulsar 180, hyosung gt 125 comet
@thomasgarrard | www.straitjkt.com | www.racingseven.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

garth
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:46 - 18 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd buy an MX5 with a turbo.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:46 - 18 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJ wrote:

I'd get a VW Transporter. I go to work on the bike so car is only really used for trackdays and carting a drum kit to gigs, which would be so much easier with a van.

I use my Vito for 'daily' stuff and it's pretty good for that too. Can get over 40mg 'on a run' if you're careful, probably getting closer to 50mpg when sitting at 56mph behind a truck.

Have wondered about something like a LWB caddy to get bikes in, which should be even better on fuel.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

0l0dom0l0
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:47 - 18 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:
BMW 130i. Absolute rocket-ship in a sleeper disguise. I had one for 3.5 years and loved every minute. The engine has real character, makes a great noise, puts out 265 bhp (good for a 6s 0-60) but can get 30 mpg when driven realistically (better if you are restrained).


Now one of these I would love! But sadly, can't afford to maintain one and my parents wouldn't let me get one as part of the funding is coming from them haha!

Very nice cars though, been driven in one at it was good!
____________________
CBT Passed: 30/08/2009, Theory Passed: 31/08/2010, Mod 1 Passed: 6/9/2010, Mod 2 Passed: 13/09/2010. Restriction ended 13/09/2012.

Bikes: 2007 Derbi GPR 50, 1998 Yamaha Fazer 600 (written off), 2002 Yamaha Fazer 600, 1994 CBR 600F, 2003 Triumph Daytona 600, Kawasaki ZX6R J1.....Current: 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 1998 Suzuki TL1000R and a Honda VFR 400 NC30.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:53 - 18 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you basing your maintenance costs on?
For you I'd have thought that insurance would still be way higher.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

0l0dom0l0
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Oct 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:09 - 18 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
What are you basing your maintenance costs on?
For you I'd have thought that insurance would still be way higher.


£1500 TPFT which isn't to bad.

Maintanance costs are based on tax, tyres, servicing, and economy.

To be honest, I still think the 330d isn't unrealistic for what I'm after, but trying to persuade my parents who both own BMW's and both say they would never buy one again isn't the easiest task in the world.

Looking at the price of parts for the Seat, and taking into consideration the depreciation that its going to incur in the next couple of years, side by side with a 330d (assuming nothing goes wrong mind) aren't worlds apart.

Part of the problem is 6k's a lot of money, and I don'y really want to spend it on something that I don't like lol, but maybe I just have to get past that and wait a couple of years before finishing uni to then get something I like and get something that does what I need now instead.
____________________
CBT Passed: 30/08/2009, Theory Passed: 31/08/2010, Mod 1 Passed: 6/9/2010, Mod 2 Passed: 13/09/2010. Restriction ended 13/09/2012.

Bikes: 2007 Derbi GPR 50, 1998 Yamaha Fazer 600 (written off), 2002 Yamaha Fazer 600, 1994 CBR 600F, 2003 Triumph Daytona 600, Kawasaki ZX6R J1.....Current: 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 1998 Suzuki TL1000R and a Honda VFR 400 NC30.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Blackwolf
Burgerfist



Joined: 19 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:13 - 18 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same question early this year.

In the end I got an 05 A4. 3.0TDI.

Does me nicely!
____________________
Current: Ducati Multistrada 1200s
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lukamon
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:23 - 18 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://autotrader.mobi/used-cars/search/results/page-1?PHPSESSID=hea3f1231iacfmqhglb0o1mf74

There you go. The 2.0 option pack with climate control is the ideal model, the engine and toys of the sport but without the bigger wheels and harder shocks that make the ride uncomfortable and 5 speed instead of fragile 6 speed box
____________________
killa wrote: Im an ass man myself
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:28 - 18 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 5 Series Estate
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ajbsmirnoff
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Dec 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:29 - 18 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 5 series BMW. Or a Mercedes CLK. Since thats what I did.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:30 - 18 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

shereen wrote:
##Paddy## wrote:
Personally, Supra. But it's because I love them Laughing


+1

6K Gets you into the turbo league also Twisted Evil


6k gets you into the single turbo 550hp+ range.

Fuck that twin turbo shit Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

.Bishbash.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:31 - 18 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would get THIS

Thumbs Up
____________________
Current bike - GSX-R1000 k8
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

yaigi
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Jul 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:32 - 18 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 1.9 Golf TDI, which is exactly what I've got, and I bloody love it. I've had more than my fair share of cars and I can honestly say the Golf is the only one I've thought I will actually keep til I run it into the ground.
____________________
What would you do in life, if you knew you could not fail?
Currently own - Fazer 600, 2000, Red. (But no riding as baby on board atm)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:36 - 18 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

D O G wrote:
Currently lusting after a Citroen C4 Picasso diesel (but not the Grand version).

Yes, I have small children.


I hear that!

However if I had 6K and none of the wife, kids and dog...probably another Impreza or an original Mini Cooper
____________________
Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

yaigi
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Jul 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:38 - 18 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whosthedaddy wrote:


However if I had 6K and none of the wife, kids and dog...probably another Impreza or an original Mini Cooper


Oh my god you have just reminded me of something I saw on my way into work this morning! The LARGEST man I have EVER seen in my life, squeezed into a bright yellow mini. And i mean squeezed. He pulled out on me, stopped just in time, the poor mini must have been struggling to carry all the extra weight! Sick
____________________
What would you do in life, if you knew you could not fail?
Currently own - Fazer 600, 2000, Red. (But no riding as baby on board atm)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 293 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.13 Sec - Server Load: 0.91 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 128.61 Kb