Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Wiring in additional items

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:47 - 31 Dec 2012    Post subject: Wiring in additional items Reply with quote

Hey,

Planning to disappear to Spain next year, I fancy wiring in some power outlets on the CBR... (might pack a spare reg/rec too.)

Ideally I want to make it as per the diagram attached.

I need a charger for my GoPro/sat nav, phone and tablet/camera, all of which have different connectors (phone = small plug, sat nav = USB, tablet small transformer)

Is there any disadvantages doing it this way/would it work. I only intend to have one thing on charge at a time whilst riding.

The big red switch on the side is to turn the entire thing off... just incase.

Thanks!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

weasley
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:53 - 31 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would they not all charge off of a generic USB charger outlet with the appropriate cable for each? You could wire in a simple 'cigarette lighter' type socket then get a USB power adaptor and just take the cables you need.
____________________
Yamaha XJ600 | Yamaha YZF600R Thundercat | KTM 990 SMT | BMW F900XR TE
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:01 - 31 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only the GoPro is USB, I cannot find USB for the rest, otherwise yes, I would do that.

Also...the rear of the switches...would this work?

Just thought... probably put switch on the negative side and stick a fuse on the + side?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:37 - 31 Dec 2012    Post subject: Re: Wiring in additional items Reply with quote

Fuse and switch on the positive side I'd have thought.
Also have it directly connected to the battery, but with a relay connected to something that's only on when the engine's running - no drained battery.

Me, I cut all the cigarette lighter bits off and used much smaller automotive style plugs, so everything took up less space. Wired in 3 sockets front and 3 back on my KTM.
As I was doing off-road, also took a pump which can be plugged in to the same.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:39 - 31 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was intending to relay to the rear light.. I have access to all the wires currently so its a bonus Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:15 - 31 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

##Paddy## wrote:
Was intending to relay to the rear light.. I have access to all the wires currently so its a bonus Thumbs Up


Presuming your lights are wired on all the time? Otherwise it'll only work when the lights are on.

I'd personally go for the rear brake switch to trigger the relay. Then if it all goes tits-up you only lose one brake light switch and not your tail light.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:18 - 31 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good point.

Yeah, lights always on, 03 CBR Thumbs Up

I assume I just need to turn the bike on, find the 12v feed to the rear brake switch, wire in a relay to that, earth and my device?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:22 - 31 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

##Paddy## wrote:
I assume I just need to turn the bike on, find the 12v feed to the rear brake switch, wire in a relay to that, earth and my device?


How to wire in an electrical device using a relay

But this image sums it up:
https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/drumbrake/relay.png
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:30 - 31 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boss Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

raesewell
Traffic Copper



Joined: 22 Oct 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:43 - 31 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not try this. I can plug my phone and sat nav in without having all the plugs hanging around. Fairly easy install. You would need to get some cheapo car chargers and cut the cigar lighter bit off and wire it to the 5V convertor
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Marmalade
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:49 - 31 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always make sure I have one cigi socket wired direct (via fuse) to the battery for leaving a phone/camera/? On charge when off the bike.
I also use it connected to a 5metre cigi extension lead i made so I can have phone on charge overnight in my tent and run anything else I need to.
____________________
Nobby the Bastard: How yo tell the difference between the actual japanese and her just screaming because she's had live fish stuck up her arse? [url=https://www.nicks-shop.co.uk/bcf-goodies-15-c.aspGet BCF stickers and things here[/url] Reflective helmet stickers - Legal requirement in france - Clicky
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Yoyo This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 276 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.41 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 73.09 Kb