Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


My new car...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

daemonoid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:31 - 03 Jan 2013    Post subject: My new car... Reply with quote

It is very new...

https://cdn.bikechatforums.com/files/image_140.jpg

It finally fired up after 30 mins and blew out white smoke until it got up to temperature:

https://cdn.bikechatforums.com/files/image_193.jpg

I then reversed it off the drive and back into the garage for bodywork, interior and just about everything else...
____________________
current: ducati monster 750
past: hyosung gt250r, bajaj pulsar 180, hyosung gt 125 comet
@thomasgarrard | www.straitjkt.com | www.racingseven.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

cimbian
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Sep 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:36 - 03 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you were praying! Smile
____________________
22PlusY
Current: Moto Guzzi 1100 Breva. Previous: Honda XL650V TransAlp
Bearded, Balding, Born again Buddhist Biker
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

yaigi
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Jul 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:37 - 03 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! That's cool! What size engine does it have?
____________________
What would you do in life, if you knew you could not fail?
Currently own - Fazer 600, 2000, Red. (But no riding as baby on board atm)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

oldpink
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:43 - 03 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caterham Nice, was it a self build ??
____________________
I have become comfortably numb

Theory & hazard 24-may 2016, CBT 8th June 2016, MOD 1 2nd Aug 2016 Mod 2 2nd-Nov 2016 - Current bike CBR 600 RR
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

daemonoid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:53 - 03 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

cimbian wrote:
Looks like you were praying!


I really was! I'd only put the engine in 2 days ago and only connected everything up yesterday.

yaigi wrote:
Wow! That's cool! What size engine does it have?


It's a 1.6, 125bhp so low end. I'm racing it next year and if I manage the top 25% of the field then it's getting upgraded to 140bhp for the next championship. Otherwise I'll have a big decision to make...

Quote:
Caterham Nice, was it a self build ??


It still is a self build - the lack of bodywork was not a temporary thing I'm sticking it on tomorrow. I've still got the IVA to do Sad
____________________
current: ducati monster 750
past: hyosung gt250r, bajaj pulsar 180, hyosung gt 125 comet
@thomasgarrard | www.straitjkt.com | www.racingseven.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:14 - 03 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much would one of those cost?
That looks awesome!
____________________
To shreds you say? Tss tss tss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

daemonoid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:42 - 03 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

EazyDuz wrote:
How much would one of those cost?
That looks awesome!


I'm doing the academy package so it's a shade over £20k, but you can get a 'classic' for £15k.

The academy includes a racing licence test, 3 sprint races, 4 track races a bit of instruction and track support at the races.

The list of tracks has been announced and we get donnington, brands, silverstone and a few smaller ones including my local Blyton.

Seems that the other bits are gonna add up - I seem to be spending at least £25 per day on the build (missing tools, fluids etc). Previous competitors have suggested under £30k for the year but the car will be worth ~£17k at the end of it.
____________________
current: ducati monster 750
past: hyosung gt250r, bajaj pulsar 180, hyosung gt 125 comet
@thomasgarrard | www.straitjkt.com | www.racingseven.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Nov 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:39 - 03 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you've got a bloody good lock on that tin foil garage door.
____________________
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa, hey-hey,
the men in white coats are coming to take me away.
Yamaha Vity -> YBR125 -> FZS600 Fazer -> FZ1-S Fazer
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:54 - 03 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very very nice mate!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:54 - 03 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mistergixer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:18 - 03 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giz a go, mister, go on.

Thumbs Up
____________________
Space Monkey #7
Don Eladio is dead. His capos are dead. You have no one left to fight for. Fill your pockets and leave in peace. Or fight me and die!
Mistergixer's videos on YouTube
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

.Chris.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:35 - 03 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done! How long has it taken you to get the car to that stage?

I've been (unfortunately only as a passenger) in an early superlight - so much fun, and the only car I've experienced with brutal sportsbike-like acceleration.

I'd love to build a 7-type car, but I can't be bothered with all the stupid safety and emissions regulations. I'd want it to be 60s-style, with lots of nice sharp switches poking out of the dashboard and a good old A-Series up front. Bring back the days when you just had to get it MOTd Crying or Very sad.
____________________
Chris
1985 Kawasaki Z550F
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:37 - 03 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool. I've long had a 'thing' for caterhams and building one is definitely on my lifetime to do list.

Keep us updated on how the Academy goes Cool
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

daemonoid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:04 - 03 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all.

I've now spent 12 days at it. Probably averaged 6hrs a day, just bled the brakes so I have it drivable now. I'm going to try to get the driver seat in tonight. Wings and nose before I go tomorrow.

After that I'll need to spend a day torquing everything and another preparing for the IVA. So just over 2 weeks with 1.5 people and very little knowledge before hand.

Hardest part was the diff where I had to put 350kg of force into it just to bend it into the correct position. I decided to build it back to front - diff, gearbox and then engine. I think that was a good choice.

I'll keep posting pics / vids as I progress thought the academy. I'll also put any spare tickets not taken by friends and family on here and give anyone who wants one a passenger ride Smile but no drives until I've finished the season!
____________________
current: ducati monster 750
past: hyosung gt250r, bajaj pulsar 180, hyosung gt 125 comet
@thomasgarrard | www.straitjkt.com | www.racingseven.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

daemonoid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:07 - 05 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here's how I've left it...

https://cdn.bikechatforums.com/files/image_109.jpg

Just needs those front wings screwing on rather than balancing, a going over on the electrics, every bolt torquing correctly and some rubber pedestrian safety bits for the IVA.

One more weekend and she'll be on the road!
____________________
current: ducati monster 750
past: hyosung gt250r, bajaj pulsar 180, hyosung gt 125 comet
@thomasgarrard | www.straitjkt.com | www.racingseven.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 273 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.89 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 90.04 Kb