Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


My travels in India and SE Asia

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:34 - 07 Jan 2013    Post subject: My travels in India and SE Asia Reply with quote

Hopefully not gonna get a load of downvotes for this because I really just want to share it.

It's an e-book I made after my travels in India and SE-Asia, free to download. Contains lots of pictures, which I'm quite pleased with, so if you prefer picture books then it might be up your street. The words are a little generic at first but I personally think it gets a fair bit more interesting later on. I was travelling for about 5 months in total, it seemed like a lifetime and everything over there is a totally different world if you've not been before.

To keep it relevant to the forum... It was in India when I first tried motorcycling. Mr. Green

For anyone who's been to India and knows the ropes, you'll laugh at how many times I was duped when I first arrived.

Highlights include: my mate being falsely accused of the theft of a £1000 jewel at a shop near the Taj Mahal (plus twilight escape from 'government regulated' driver); my discovery and partial immersion into hippy culture, which is still in full swing; crossing the Himalayas by bus on tracks paved with rocks as big as your head at thin-air altitudes exceeding 16'000 feet; helping to build a bamboo bridge across a river in Laos after being invited to join with the locals by a man who wanted to pay me in whiskey; and probably other stuff too I guess.

PDF can be downloaded here: Linky

https://assets2.blurb.com/images/uploads/catalog/01/3071701/3038509-23ce9bd7383ba480c5ebd51e473b0d12.jpg?20130104211223

Anyway yeah. Just wanted to share it to see if anyone's interested in what I got up to. Not trying to promote myself or anything because I have no active interest in photography or travel journalism, but I would like to show more people my book, seeing as I took the time to make it Mr. Green !
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer



Joined: 03 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:40 - 07 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work Thumbs Up

I'd love to go back to SE Asia. We did Vietnam a couple of years ago and it was a great experience Smile

Thanks for sharing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:21 - 07 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers! I'll also add, for giggles, that I genuinely think I've visited a good 80% of the Indian locations in that new film, Life of Pi. The hippy camp I went to was right next to Pondicherry, where the movie starts out, so I spent a lot of time around there.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

moppy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:54 - 07 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

sa1988 wrote:
Cheers! I'll also add, for giggles, that I genuinely think I've visited a good 80% of the Indian locations in that new film, Life of Pi. The hippy camp I went to was right next to Pondicherry, where the movie starts out, so I spent a lot of time around there.
I dont remember Life of Pi spending much time anywhere expect Pondicherry (in India)?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:02 - 07 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

moppy wrote:
I dont remember Life of Pi spending much time anywhere expect Pondicherry (in India)?


Correct! It was just a nice surprise to see it all in the movie, because Pondicherry is a relatively unexciting corner of India, only visited these days by the French because it used to be part of their attempt at having an empire.

I went to loads of other places too. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

moppy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:15 - 07 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

sa1988 wrote:
moppy wrote:
I dont remember Life of Pi spending much time anywhere expect Pondicherry (in India)?


Correct! It was just a nice surprise to see it all in the movie, because Pondicherry is a relatively unexciting corner of India, only visited these days by the French because it used to be part of their attempt at having an empire.
I know, I grew up in Tamil Nadu for ten years Laughing

It is also the place of choice for young people from Chennai to get drunk. Cheaper alcohol and being able to go and buy booze from something other than a TASMARK in Tamil Nadu is quite a draw.

Did you end up in Varanasi by any chance? Easily the craziest place I have ever been.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:22 - 07 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

moppy wrote:


Did you end up in Varanasi by any chance? Easily the craziest place I have ever been.


Nope. Actually, for the amount of time I was there, my list of destinations wasn't that large. But somehow I made quite a memorable journey out of it.

As a list in order (with no explanation for destination choices), it goes:

Mumbai
Delhi
Pondicherry (Auroville hippy camp)
Leh
Kashmir (Srinagar)
Chennai
Pondicherry (went back to Auroville)
Goa
Mumbai
Nasik
Delhi
Manali
Leh
Srinagar

And then lots of places in SE Asia too.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 272 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.26 Sec - Server Load: 1.01 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 54.23 Kb