Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Does anyone else always invert the Y axis on FPS?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

thx1138
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:15 - 16 Jan 2013    Post subject: Does anyone else always invert the Y axis on FPS? Reply with quote

If I can't invert the Y axis on the controller, I can't play. I have to pull back to look up, and push forward to look down in COD etc.

Anyone else do the same, as I've been told it's odd.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarkJ
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:21 - 16 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remember it was more standard in the 90s. I use the 'normal' way myself but know a few people that invert.

One of my mates properly messes around with his keys having stuff like RMB as run etc.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:58 - 16 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joystickeriffic.

Nah, can't be doing with it. I found it very cute when the start of Red Faction: Armageddon asks you to "look up" and then auto-inverts the Y axis depending on what you do.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

el_oso
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:24 - 16 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Joystickeriffic.

Nah, can't be doing with it. I found it very cute when the start of Red Faction: Armageddon asks you to "look up" and then auto-inverts the Y axis depending on what you do.


not sure if it is just me, but once it asked the usual "look up". I looked down. It then asked if I wanted to invert I said 'yes' thinking the game was weird. 30 seconds later I had to revert to standard settings because for some strange reason when I think about looking up, it's different to when I instinctively look up. any body else done this, or am I just broken
____________________
Duke 390
Previous: '05 XR125L | '96 XJ600S Diversion |'05 Suzuki GSXR1000 | '05 Honda CBR125-R | '97 YZF 600R Thundercat | '11 Honda CBR250
Car: Jeep Wrangler 4.0L
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

noobRider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Sep 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:25 - 16 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always invert the Y axis but I'm pretty crap on FPSs and I'm stuck in the 90s
____________________
Licence: Nov 2012, Bikes: Suzuki GN125, Moto Guzzi Strada 750, Triumph Sprint ST 955i x 2
AnPhonEh: I need plans, I need contingency plans also, I need back up contingency plans
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

daemonoid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:02 - 16 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mouse, no. Pad/stick yes.
____________________
current: ducati monster 750
past: hyosung gt250r, bajaj pulsar 180, hyosung gt 125 comet
@thomasgarrard | www.straitjkt.com | www.racingseven.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Fawbish
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:04 - 16 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not on FPS but I have to with any flight involved.

Even if its just a single flight mission on Halo I was trying to invert the controller.
____________________
"Oh....it looks like Average Joe's is forfeiting the match!" - "Yeah, its a risky strategy but lets see if it pays off for 'em Cotton."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

haroman666
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:04 - 16 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used to be inverted, but then for some reason one day I was all like "I cant play like this." and switched to normal.
____________________
The mistresses: 2000 Honda CBR600f, 2000 Honda VTR1000
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

defblade
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:15 - 16 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I HAVE to, too, or else I get horrible motion sickness.

Mostly learnt from flight sims (well I say flight sims... Wing Commander, X-wing etc etc Wink ).
____________________
Honda Varadero 125cc => Suzuki Bandit 650 33bhp => 77bhp =>
BMW K1200R Sport 163bhp Twisted Evil => Aprilia Shiver GT 750 95bhp
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

yaigi
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Jul 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:26 - 16 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always invert the Y axis on every game. Makes much more sense to me.
____________________
What would you do in life, if you knew you could not fail?
Currently own - Fazer 600, 2000, Red. (But no riding as baby on board atm)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Shinigami
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:50 - 16 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flying games yes, always invert, anything else...no i'm not weird. Twisted Evil
____________________
Current: Honda City Fly CLR125 2003 Honda CB600F Hornet 2008 Yamaha FZ6 S2 + 1991 Kawasaki GPZ500
"Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:13 - 16 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brain says down is down, up is up. So no

I couldn't fly a plane. Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Seb
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:14 - 16 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same, flight style games (God knows how many hours I've sunk into Elite/X-Wing-Tie Fighter) are inverted. FPS are most certainly not.
____________________
2010 Triumph 1050 Sprint ST
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mistergixer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:16 - 16 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the things I liked about the Battlefield series was you could customise the controls for each vehicle - because I had to use the inverted axis for planes, but not for helicopters.
____________________
Space Monkey #7
Don Eladio is dead. His capos are dead. You have no one left to fight for. Fill your pockets and leave in peace. Or fight me and die!
Mistergixer's videos on YouTube
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

U_W v2.0
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:28 - 16 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

haroman666 wrote:
Used to be inverted, but then for some reason one day I was all like "I cant LIVE like this." and switched to abnormal.


FTFY
____________________
BCF's biggest cunt list: Cansa, Pits, Rob
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TheDonUK
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Feb 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:07 - 17 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason i do not enjoy battlefield 3 on the PS3 as much as i should is simply because they do not let you set custom keys, they give you 4-5 configurations, and with choppers and planes it is never to my liking.

I need Pitch and roll on one collective and then rudder on another, and unfortunately it will not let me group the controls like that, so i don't fly much at all on BF3, which is a shame because flying was what i loved most and was best at on Battlefield 1942 and 2
____________________
[Current Bikes - GSXR-750 K5 & C90-97 ] [Previous Bikes: Runner 125, YBR 125, GS500, Bandit 600, Hornet 600, ZX6R-99, C90-99, R1-99, XT600E-04, GSXR-750 K4, CRF250L '16]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:47 - 17 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

learn to adapt
____________________
To shreds you say? Tss tss tss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ingah
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:59 - 17 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always inverted. Always.
____________________
-- Ingah
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

tatters
Exxon Valdez



Joined: 05 Jan 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:24 - 18 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't invert, Over the past year thanks to the fixed control keys in "world of tanks" l,ve only just started using the WASD keys for movement along with QERFZXC etc for controls for almost 20 years of gaming l always used the arrow keys and number keypad.
____________________
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650,KZ750 Present:G650XC,C12,CRF450X,1190ADV
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:03 - 18 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - from flight sims and perhaps that '90s' think.
As with tatters, only recently stopped using the numeric keypad for direction (which generally seemed a more sensible choice Smile ).
When I got in to CoD a couple of years ago did consider getting various fancy keyboards/FPS controller, but never got around to it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

barrkel
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Jul 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:29 - 18 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

tatters wrote:
I don't invert, Over the past year thanks to the fixed control keys in "world of tanks" l,ve only just started using the WASD keys for movement along with QERFZXC etc for controls for almost 20 years of gaming l always used the arrow keys and number keypad.


I started using Ctrl, Z, X, Space in 1994, in the days of Doom, long before WASD was a thing; Z and X for strafe left and right, I don't recall what Ctrl and Space were for - perhaps Run and Open - and one mouse button for forward, the other for fire. Alt may have been backward. Doom didn't have any looking up or down. This layout gave a considerable advantage in deathmatch (null modem cables!) over anyone (like my boss in the computer shop I worked for) still using the keyboard.

When Quake came out, I needed to readjust, and invented QWAS, which I use today. W/A forward/backward, Q/S left/right. With the angle my hand reaches the keyboard, it's far more ergonomic.

WASD:

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/_2GNT8vlZj48/SPpizjQGoTI/AAAAAAAAADA/Ovaq2i2Ui0k/s1600/wasd.jpg

QWAS:

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/_2GNT8vlZj48/SPu50iMpwFI/AAAAAAAAADQ/83CqjBegfTo/s1600/qwas.jpg

QWAS is what I've used for nearly 17 years, and I have to reconfigure the controls of every game I play, as these days they default to WASD. Some of them, most recently Far Cry 3, are even buggy enough to hard-code WASD in certain situations - in FC3, the hang glider, parachute etc. were all hardcoded to WASD on release.
____________________
Bikes: S1000R, SH350; Exes: Vity 125, PS125, YBR125, ER6f, VFR800, Brutale 920, CB600F, SH300x4
Best road ever ridden: www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2MhNxUEYtQ
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bomberman
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:19 - 19 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

No mention of Q,A,O,P,Z/Space? Nobody else that old? Or was it just us? Very Happy
____________________
'Allo! My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!
'89 TZR 125 - '94 GPZ500s - ZK3 GSXR600 Alstare Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:27 - 19 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely remember that.

Also, on the Spectrum one of the Joysticks emulated the 1-5 number keys, so if a program didn't have a keyboard input you ended up using those keys.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bomberman
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:31 - 20 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah memories - On the 48K (IIRC) my mate had the most amazing joystick interface which basically emulated the entire keyboard Very Happy
One of these > https://www.crashonline.org.uk/08/comcoct.htm Awesome tech Very Happy
____________________
'Allo! My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!
'89 TZR 125 - '94 GPZ500s - ZK3 GSXR600 Alstare Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

keggyhander
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Nov 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:21 - 20 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't for the life of me imagine pushing the mouse forward to look up in games. Inverted all the way.

I use arrow keys for the simple reason that I'm a Keggy, and my mouse is on the left.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 259 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.71 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 126.81 Kb