Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


squeaky back wheel

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Meshuggah
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 04 Feb 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:27 - 27 Apr 2013    Post subject: squeaky back wheel Reply with quote

Hello everyone. I've recorded a video of what's happening. The back wheel squeaks even if I take the brakes calliper off. Also I've notices it kind of wobbles a lot or maybe it's just my impression. I'm not sure. I had a look at the bolts and they are tight. Have a look at the video if you got 2 minutes. Thanks for your help. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktBD0mMuxEo
____________________
Triumph Tiger 800 2012
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ed Case
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:38 - 27 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least one of your rear wheel bearings sounds like it's knackered. There's a minimum of two in there and in some instances another one or two in the sprocket carrier. In your case I'd think that there's just the two. If you're any good with spanners replacement isn't too difficult, use common sense (?), take the old ones to a bearing specialist (Yellow pages ?) as they might be cheapest or try Wemoto ?.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Meshuggah
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 04 Feb 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:50 - 28 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know when I will have the time to work on it. How safe it is to ride in this condition? I ride to work everyday, It's only 2.6 miles each way. Bloody hell, I took to the garage last week and the guy said everything was fine!! wtf... thanks for your help
____________________
Triumph Tiger 800 2012
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpha-9
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:54 - 28 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opeth wrote:
I don't know when I will have the time to work on it. How safe it is to ride in this condition? I ride to work everyday, It's only 2.6 miles each way. Bloody hell, I took to the garage last week and the guy said everything was fine!! wtf... thanks for your help

It'll cost you a lot more in the future if you ignore it, I'd have the back wheel off and be checking everything out and regreasing the spindle and bearings if it were I
____________________
Fzr-600 1999
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:28 - 28 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replacing bearings isn't a massive job and doesn't take that long - slightly longer on a rear than a front. The parts aren't that expensive either. If you've got that level of noise and wobble then get them done pronto. Wemoto stock a massive range of wheel bearings and are quick to deliver.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Meshuggah
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 04 Feb 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:29 - 28 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vincent wrote:
All I can hear is the exhaust. Why not try a vid without the engine running? Idea Although there's not a lot else it can be but bearings.


Unfortunately the engine had to be running for the wheel to move fast enough to hear the noise. I'll try to take it to the garage before work tomorrow morning. I'll pass to the guy what you've guys told me. Thanks for your help.
____________________
Triumph Tiger 800 2012
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hmmmnz
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:24 - 29 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

your chain looks awfully tight especially with no weight on the bike, are you sure its not chain related?[/quote]
____________________
the humans are dead
I kick arse for the lord
Wiring Diagrams BIDNIP it bitches
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

YBR Ric
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 16 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:01 - 29 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running a tight chain will over a period of time cause damage to the rear wheel bearing, and to some extent the gearbox bearing located behind the front sprocket.
Usually the collapse of the smaller rear bearing prevents failure of the larger gearbox one at the same time, but not after causing the damage which will result in its premature failure.

If it is bearing failure causing the noise then replacement of the gearbox one sooner rather than later when damage to the gearbox may also occur would be an extremely good idea.
I've seen ball bearings come out of a gearbox (the result of cage failure) which looked like squashed peas after going down between the shafts, forcing them apart and then cracking both the crankcase halves.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Xenocide
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 17 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:33 - 29 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your chain is moving about alot - sort of jumping about which would suggest stiff links to me. It could just be the chain squeaking when the stiff bit is bent around the sprocket. Something to check anyway. Smile
____________________
KTM LC4 400 | Honda VTR1000
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 168 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.48 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 65.74 Kb