Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Why so many bikes with low mileage?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:00 - 31 May 2013    Post subject: Why so many bikes with low mileage? Reply with quote

Looking through used bike ads im always amazed at how many bikes have such low miles for their age. Ten year old machines with only a few thousand miles. What do people do with their bikes? just stare at them? Ive had my WR125X since march 2012 and done five and a half thousand miles, does this make me some sort of nut?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Nov 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:08 - 31 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it's not like cars, is it? Maybe there's a significant proportion of dudes who are kind of more into the idea of owning a bike as much as if not more than actually using the thing. There is something cool about bikes after all. Then again I personally can;t really imagine owning a bike without using it a fair bit.
____________________
"Life is a sexually transmitted disease and the mortality rate is one hundred percent."

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tungtvann
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Dec 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:10 - 31 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many people buy a bike as a second vehicle, or should I say, a 'toy' and only play with it when the weather is perfect. Us, living in the UK, only have perfect weather for a total of about 20 days each year, meaning that there are only so many miles you can do in those nice few weeks!

I love to ride, and as long as it isn't icy, will ride as much as I can. I bought my bike with 6k on it, and now I've done almost 3k on top of that in 6 months. The bike is a 2009!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

jimspeed
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Mar 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:13 - 31 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of bikes only come out in the summer, and when was the last time we had one of those Rolling Eyes
but more of a toy for some I guess, myself included as I don't use mine when the weather is crap as who wants to start the day wet when it could be 18 hrs before I get home again, my ZZR is 1997 and has 32,000 on it which is around 2K a year, I bought it in sept and stuck 2k on it since.
To me its a toy as I have the option of a car to use and I guess lots of others are the same really as most of my longer trips involve collecting something that would not be possible on my bike. Thumbs Up
____________________
Hyosung cruise 125(passed test on, sold) Kawasaki el 252 (better than expected but sold on) Kawasaki GPZ500S first "big"bike.(sold) ZZR600 E5..Z750 2007,ER5, currently on a 2008 Enfield bullet electra x and loving it..
,"Alpha-9: Is there any correlation between dyno rod and dyno kits?"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

harscot
Crazy Courier



Joined: 19 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:19 - 31 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes There is also the " don't ride when it's wet, when salt is on the road, in winter cause it's cold, on a Mon,tue, wed ,thur, fri cause i'm working, or a sat - sport, every 3rd sun cause the other half lets me and she's at church " brigade.............oh and don't forget the " Iv'e got this all polished and gleaming so am sure as hell not going to get it dirty " Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
____________________
First bike R reg Suzuki 125 GT twin in 1978:
2nd bike X reg Honda 650 Deauville in 2011:
Wish bike a Triumph Thunderbird: Dream bike Triumph Rocket........
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Eddie Hitler
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Nov 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:29 - 31 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

harscot wrote:
Rolling Eyes There is also the " don't ride when it's wet, when salt is on the road, in winter cause it's cold, on a Mon,tue, wed ,thur, fri cause i'm working, or a sat - sport, every 3rd sun cause the other half lets me and she's at church " brigade.............oh and don't forget the " Iv'e got this all polished and gleaming so am sure as hell not going to get it dirty " Thumbs Up Thumbs Up


Congratulations. Here is your certificate.

https://i.imgur.com/KGfeALg.jpg
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

maxp
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 04 Oct 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:34 - 31 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
Yeah it's not like cars, is it? Maybe there's a significant proportion of dudes who are kind of more into the idea of owning a bike as much as if not more than actually using the thing. There is something cool about bikes after all. Then again I personally can;t really imagine owning a bike without using it a fair bit.


Guilty Embarassed .
I drive a car to work and back, so my beloved bike fills the role of a hobby more than a functional mode of transport.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mentalboy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:34 - 31 May 2013    Post subject: Re: Why so many bikes with low mileage? Reply with quote

Boozehawk wrote:
Looking through used bike ads im always amazed at how many bikes have such low miles for their age. Ten year old machines with only a few thousand miles.

What do people do with their bikes? just stare at them?

Ive had my WR125X since march 2012 and done five and a half thousand miles, does this make me some sort of nut?



5 1/2k in a year, don't you do wet weather??? Laughing

What do people do with their bikes? Just stare at th.... oh, wait a minute Confused
____________________
Make mine a Corona.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:37 - 31 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems an expensive way of having a toy though when you look at the depreciation. It is amazing how many more bikes i see out on nice days. Seems such a waste though.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tungtvann
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Dec 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:40 - 31 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boozehawk wrote:
Seems an expensive way of having a toy though when you look at the depreciation. It is amazing how many more bikes i see out on nice days. Seems such a waste though.

Only if you buy new. My bike, according to autotrader, would easily go for exactly what I paid for it, and maybe a bit more if I was lucky. Not bad considering I have put another 50% onto the mileage I bought it at!

And people have all sorts of hobbies, some cost far more than a few grand on a bike!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:42 - 31 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 year and a few months and you've done 5k Laughing

Fuck that shit, the first 6 months I did 8,000 miles just riding around. The Vara has done over 10k since October 2012 too which is quite nice as its lasting a while.

Low mileage or high mileage, if it looks clean, I'll take it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

maxp
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 04 Oct 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:43 - 31 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boozehawk wrote:
Seems an expensive way of having a toy though when you look at the depreciation. It is amazing how many more bikes i see out on nice days. Seems such a waste though.


I don't think its a waste. The bikes-come-garage-jewellery are probably better cared for than a lot of workhorse commuters.

Depreciation-wise, as far as 'boys-toys' go, you could do a lot worse: Wink
https://www.whatcar.com/car-depreciation-calculator/results?makeId=18082&modelVersionId=18167&editionId=32973
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

harscot
Crazy Courier



Joined: 19 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:44 - 31 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy I thank you most kindly for the award you gave me E.H, just for you some Karma , I wasn't having a go at anyone, just making an observation about some low milage bikes, since this time last year I have only done 2800 miles myself, but then I live in and around some of the best roads in the UK, so I don't have to ride too far to enjoy my motorcycle, oops! Ive made you jealous now, stay safe out there Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
____________________
First bike R reg Suzuki 125 GT twin in 1978:
2nd bike X reg Honda 650 Deauville in 2011:
Wish bike a Triumph Thunderbird: Dream bike Triumph Rocket........
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mentalboy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:45 - 31 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boozehawk wrote:
Seems an expensive way of having a toy though when you look at the depreciation.


It doesn't seem to bother the mugs who trot off to their local car dealership every six months just to cock a snook at the Jones's
____________________
Make mine a Corona.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mentalboy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:48 - 31 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

harscot wrote:
Very Happy I thank you most kindly for the award you gave me E.H, just for you some Karma , I wasn't having a go at anyone, just making an observation about some low milage bikes, since this time last year I have only done 2800 miles myself, but then I live in an area of the UK that's snowbound six months otf the year and blowing a hoolie the other 4 so I don't get to ride my motorcycle, oops! Ive made you jealous now, stay safe out there Thumbs Up Thumbs Up


FTFY Wink
____________________
Make mine a Corona.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
_Iain_ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Skyblue
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 09 Sep 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:43 - 01 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to service my bike & went about 20 miles to the garage when it was about 2 degrees centigrade when I got there my finger tips where numb with the cold & i'm telling you it took days for my finger tips to get the full feeling back i don't blame any one not riding the bike in cold weather without good winter gear.I am now looking for heated gloves now so I am ready for the cold weather.I am looking for battery gloves any Ideas on that
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:47 - 01 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skyblue wrote:
Had to service my bike & went about 20 miles to the garage when it was about 2 degrees centigrade when I got there my finger tips where numb with the cold & i'm telling you it took days for my finger tips to get the full feeling back i don't blame any one not riding the bike in cold weather without good winter gear.I am now looking for heated gloves now so I am ready for the cold weather.I am looking for battery gloves any Ideas on that



Nut up dude! Smile

Actually i think mitts are considered better than heated grips or electric gloves. But i use Bovril Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Blau Zedong This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Skyblue
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 09 Sep 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:58 - 01 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha!I think it is a age thing since I hit fifty even I am feeling every little ache(I have to look after my bones) nobody else is!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

SQL
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:00 - 01 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its because its easier to pull the speedo cable out and replace for selling.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Eddie Hitler
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Nov 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:00 - 01 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLUEX5 wrote:
Meh, I like owning bikes and I like fannying around and spending money on bikes a lot more than riding them.

Does this make OP mad?


I ride my motorbikes all year round, but that's down to cost, not enjoyment. The day I can own both a car and a motorbike, I will be the typical fair weather rider some people despise. Ironic, as I used to be one of those haters. Experience gained over the years has dramatically changed my perception I guess.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:06 - 01 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLUEX5 wrote:
Meh, I like owning bikes and I like fannying around and spending money on bikes a lot more than riding them.

Does this make OP mad?


It dousent bother me at all. In fact it means there is always good bikes out there for low prices. I just find it amazing people can resist riding a bike they own.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

SQL
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:07 - 01 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my bike 3 months ago, my commute is 9 miles I work 5days a week and I am averaging 1.3k per month.

I really can't resist it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Eddie Hitler
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Nov 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:09 - 01 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boozehawk wrote:


It dousent bother me at all. In fact it means there is always good bikes out there for low prices. I just find it amazing people can resist riding a bike they own.


There's your answer. Worry about your own bike. I sense some jealousy here, am I right?


Last edited by Eddie Hitler on 01:10 - 01 Jun 2013; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 125 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.13 Sec - Server Load: 0.57 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 130.73 Kb