Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


How can some people be so blind?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

mosh86
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 05 Feb 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:30 - 02 Jun 2013    Post subject: How can some people be so blind? Reply with quote

Was having a lovely ride around the coast in the very rare sunshine today. Coming up to a mini roundabout which is quite well open, I can clearly see up to the right. No cars even moving in that direction so I look left. See a car a good 20 + meters away so I continue on to the roundabout. As I work my way out I keep a eye on the car coming to the left and think. There not slowing down. So I start taking a tighter line closer to the mini roundabout when the car just flies right out where I would of been if I never took a tighter line. I have to slam on the brakes as the car was now directly in my path, Nearly dropping the bike but managed to save it somehow. As I do this I scream out F**king hell loud enough so pedestrians about 30m up the road turn around to see what's happened. The car keeps on driving no sign of slowing down or even using the mirrors so I start hitting the horn which still never seam to attract the driver. So I get the bike moving and ride after the driver. Eventualy they stop. And its a rather pretty young female driver. She rolls down the window and I basically shout what the f**k was that all about. The usual reply comes in the form of i'm so sorry I never saw you. WTF? I was basically right in front of her. I can see she is a little bit shaken up but I think that was due to the face of me riding after her. So I just tell her that she needs to get her act together because I could of easily been killed the speed she was going at. So after that I go and sit down by the beach then have a nice wee chit chat with some guys from the east fife bikers.
Was I a bit harsh at going after the driver and do you think I should of stopped earlier in the middle of the roundabout?? This is the first time it's happened to me as I've only been riding properly for three weeks.
____________________
MOD 2 passed. Woohoo. 01/05/13 first bike. 2001 SV650.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sako
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:35 - 02 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you punch her in the throat and smash her up the Gary?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pigeon
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Sep 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:38 - 02 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the plus side, she might "think bike" and drive correctly at the next roundabout where a biker hasn't taken a tighter line and wouldn't have otherwise been so lucky to get away with it.

When someone's selfishness or stupidity results in you nearly losing yours, it's almost impossible to not react to the boat load of adrenaline that suddenly floods your system.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Copycat73
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jan 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:40 - 02 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a drink & go to bed...
you must of done summit right cos your still here....
____________________
Whatever I post I have no citation and no intention of providing one..
caveat emptor
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mosh86
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 05 Feb 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:44 - 02 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sako wrote:
Did you punch her in the throat and smash her up the Gary?

Was gong to but just decided to kill her kitten instead.

Quote:
On the plus side, she might "think bike" and drive correctly at the next roundabout where a biker hasn't taken a tighter line and wouldn't have otherwise been so lucky to get away with it.

When someone's selfishness or stupidity results in you nearly losing yours, it's almost impossible to not react to the boat load of adrenaline that suddenly floods your system


Hopefully she does.! I'm not really someone who likes confrontations but the fact that she never even seamed to notice really pee'd me off. Wouldn't of been as bad if she stopped even just to say sorry.
____________________
MOD 2 passed. Woohoo. 01/05/13 first bike. 2001 SV650.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

_mjs_
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 23 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:51 - 02 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always chase them down and give them a fierce bollocking; it just makes me feel better.

In fact, I nearly dragged a Pakistani ice cream van driver through his serving hatch and battered him the other day after he caused me to anchor up... never mind 'watch that child', watch out for the bloke on the motorbike you non-indicating cunt! Laughing
____________________
Previous Bikes: 2006 Honda XR125L > 2003 Yamaha DT125R > 1996 Honda CB500
Current bikes: 1997 Kawasaki ZZR 600 E5 > 2006 Honda Varadero XL125V
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

J.M.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:54 - 02 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is often why I choose to go faster in such situations.

I would rather speed and pass a junction/roundabout before the approaching car reaches it than keep at the speed limit and reach it at the same time as/just after the car has reached it.
____________________
2004 R1 & 2018 XSR900
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mosh86
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 05 Feb 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:08 - 02 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
Have a drink & go to bed...
you must of done summit right cos your still here....

Too right!!

Yeah I immediately felt better _mjs_ but I was still pretty angry about it.

I would of probably been going faster if I wasn't out for a nice wee ride enjoying the sun. But then I might/might not of came off worse. Never know.
I think its something to do with the colour red. I had a red corsa a wee bit ago and the amount of people that pulled out in front of me was unreal. Wonder if I could get tax payers money and do some sort of university study. hmm
____________________
MOD 2 passed. Woohoo. 01/05/13 first bike. 2001 SV650.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

fatpies
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:11 - 02 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of people dont care, even with cars.

Yesterday in the car I had to brake hard when somebody came out of a side junction on a 40mph road.

You bet if I went into her she'd say it was my fault.
____________________
"It's easy to attack and destroy an act of creation. It's a lot more difficult to perform one"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Maccydee
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 15 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:19 - 02 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mate, it's been a weekend of them, I had someone miss me by such a small margin, I still don't know how I wasn't laid out on the Tarmac.

As per yours, some young girl, fucking oblivious to anything as she just pulled out of a junction into me. I was so shocked all I could do was make some sort of wild arm gesture that was an interpretive dance of version of "hello, how the fuck did you not see me on this fucking massive bright red and white bike when I'm directly in front of you" I got a little wave back... Don't know whether that's a result or not?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Eddie Hitler
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Nov 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:21 - 02 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me of when a car cut a corner and almost knocked me off. I'm talking years ago. Near where I live there is a corner coming down a hill, that most if not all car drivers cut. Most of the time it's safe to do so, but this twunt never went back to her side of the road. As I saw the car my spider sernses tingled and I hugged the curb, fucking lucky I did as it would have been a head on collision. Being a spotty teenager full of rage I turned around and chased. As I now know, doing this can cause an accident itself. I wasn't thinking straight. Caught up, overtook, and gave a fuck load of hand signals to stop her.. instead she overtook me on a narrow country road, barely missing me and the hedge on her right side.

My foot never did make contact with her side door as she went past, but I left it at that. That was a big lesson for me. I learnt that some people are cunts, some people have no empathy for others, and some people couldn't give two shits about killing another human on the roads. I parked my bike up straight after it all happened, sat down and tried to stop myself from shaking. I think I called my dad just to tell someone what had happened, and may have shed a tear. Laughing

I'm enraged typing this actually, I really should have noted her numberplate and informed the police instead of getting mad (for all the good that would have done, and most likely would have forgotten the reg, but perhaps someone else would have done the same and reported her dangerous driving).


Last edited by Eddie Hitler on 23:22 - 02 Jun 2013; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

clancy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:22 - 02 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

You weren't out of order at all, I've dOne this a few times

2 weeks ago someone changed into my lane in the town centre completed without looking and I had to slam the breaks on and pull to the side nearly being pushed into the railings, how I fitted I'll never know. Pulled up along side her to have a word Abd she screamed back at me in Chinese whilst having a fag, driving a Picasso full of kids. Woman was a pure genius, pretty sure she understood none of what I said or was even aware of what happened.

COmpletely wasted my time in this case but still Laughing I think sometimes careless drivers could do with someone having a word to kick them up the ass, just like in your case it probably made her pay more attention now, might save someones life one day Thumbs Up
____________________
KLX 300r
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

radicalrabit
Crazy Courier



Joined: 27 Dec 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:23 - 02 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

HORN ????? People seem to be reluctant to lean in specially if it just goes peep like a day old chick .... personally I think there ought to be a real safety push to get proper horns fitted to bikes like they used to have on old rovers , two tones sounding together and really bloody loud
____________________
VF1000 F2F, BLACKBIRD with carbs, 2nd VF1000F2F just need somewhere to go now..
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mosh86
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 05 Feb 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:43 - 02 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maccydee wrote:
I was so shocked all I could do was make some sort of wild arm gesture that was an interpretive dance of version of "hello, how the fuck did you not see me on this fucking massive bright red and white bike when I'm directly in front of you" ?


This made me lol.! I was thinking about waving my arms about in some sort of fashion as if they would take notice. But I was to busy stopping the bike meeting the tarmac and I remembered where the horn was.

Yes some drivers may pay a little bit more attention after having a angry biker chase them down. But as said most probably wouldn't give two.

radicalrabit your right about the horns I'm sure I've farted louder than some. Big mahoosive air horns that's what we need.!
____________________
MOD 2 passed. Woohoo. 01/05/13 first bike. 2001 SV650.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jjdugen
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jun 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:09 - 03 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used to be old geezers wearing a trilby in a Volvo, and that type cast was absolutely correct, now its dizzy young chicks in a day-glo sub mini. Mum and Dad buy them these things, they do a fast track driving lesson / test session, and then are let out onto our roads.
For some reason they are both aggressive and oblivious at the same time. It would seem that a pair of tits allows you to drive any way you want too, along with Audi and BMW drivers.
____________________
The CBR900RR has been sold. Aprilia Falco worms its way into my heart.
Try Soi 23 on Amazon for a good read.... Self promotion? Moi?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jan 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:54 - 03 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie Hitler wrote:
Reminds me of when a car cut a corner and almost knocked me off. I'm talking years ago. Near where I live there is a corner coming down a hill, that most if not all car drivers cut. Most of the time it's safe to do so, but this twunt never went back to her side of the road. As I saw the car my spider sernses tingled and I hugged the curb, fucking lucky I did as it would have been a head on collision. Being a spotty teenager full of rage I turned around and chased. As I now know, doing this can cause an accident itself. I wasn't thinking straight. Caught up, overtook, and gave a fuck load of hand signals to stop her.. instead she overtook me on a narrow country road, barely missing me and the hedge on her right side.

My foot never did make contact with her side door as she went past, but I left it at that. That was a big lesson for me. I learnt that some people are cunts, some people have no empathy for others, and some people couldn't give two shits about killing another human on the roads. I parked my bike up straight after it all happened, sat down and tried to stop myself from shaking. I think I called my dad just to tell someone what had happened, and may have shed a tear. Laughing

I'm enraged typing this actually, I really should have noted her numberplate and informed the police instead of getting mad (for all the good that would have done, and most likely would have forgotten the reg, but perhaps someone else would have done the same and reported her dangerous driving).


I can understand how you felt enraged etc by the situation, I've been there myself, mainly with people doing U turns round roundabouts from the left hand lane recently.

Bear in mind how a young girl who's passed her test only a couple of years ago might feel when overtaken and waved at by an angry biker.

She's going to feel very vulnerable and possibly thinking the worst (being punched in the throat and done up the garry)
She'll be starting to worry, or worse, panic, remembering the last news story she saw about someone being abducted or whatever and so will avoid stopping even if she knows she made a mistake.

It's not an excuse, but it is a natural 'flight' reaction.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:17 - 03 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was probably doing her make-up using her iPhone camera.

Use your horn pre-emptively next time.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Entertwainer
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 13 May 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:32 - 03 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Was probably doing her make-up using her iPhone camera.

Use your horn pre-emptively next time.


i agree with this - like the Italians, dont rely on people seeing you, make your presence known!

i recently bought a new car, and compared to my old one - i cant hear a god damn thing outside, and the amount of trim and body work that gets in the way - my blind spot has increased dramatically.

not saying that this lass couldn't see you - some people are just plain ignorant to the fact that anyone else uses the road when they are driving, however, the technology included with cars and the build quality these days really isolates you from the outside world - making already stupid drivers that much more dangerous and more inclined to 'not see you'.

not only that, since riding my motorbike (only been on one for a month now) you become a target - something to be overtaken, regardless of whether you are doing the maximum speed limit (i commute through town so its either 20mph or 30mph)

i generally have to speed to keep up with the flow of traffic otherwise i become a target for the impatient! skipping round me at the last second approaching lights only for me to filter past them and the 6 cars in front of them moments later (i thoroughly enjoy that part)....

glad you came out alright though.
when ever i get in a car, on the motorbike or the push bike, i head out on the assumption that everyone else on the roads is an idiot. i still mnage to enjoy my rides as well Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top



Joined: 28 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:52 - 03 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

In defence of some drivers I've found as a new driver (held my car licence less than a year been riding bikes for 7) that the pillars in cars really dont help.

Had to sharply brake at a mini roundabout the other day as just couldnt see the bike as it was obscured from my vision and looking around didnt let me spot it until the last second.
____________________
Pictorgraphicalfantastical
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
N cee thirty This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Entertwainer
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 13 May 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:28 - 03 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Fzs wrote:
CBA reading all that post, but if you think you have it bad on a bike, try driving a tractor Thumbs Up

people still manage to pull out without seeing and then are made to back the fuck up out of the way.


have done this also - and can vouch for said idiocy. was tempting to put the 'fork' attachment down to pick up and remove said idiots out of the way Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Conzar
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:32 - 03 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not wheelie away in disapproval?
____________________
Current ride: ZX6R 636 ------- Previous:KTM EXC 450 Supermoto --- ZX6R B1H --Hornet 600--CBR 600--SV650
11:05:35 Rob Fzs: i just wanna own an rd350 valve before they send us to war with durkadurkastan
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

smithyithy
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 15 Feb 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:39 - 03 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you did the right thing, maybe her being shook up will make her a bit more aware in the future, one can dream...

Winds me up though when they look at you, see you, realise you have right of way, then keep going anyway! Neutral
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Davie J
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 03 Nov 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:26 - 03 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

radicalrabit wrote:
HORN ????? People seem to be reluctant to lean in specially if it just goes peep like a day old chick .... personally I think there ought to be a real safety push to get proper horns fitted to bikes like they used to have on old rovers , two tones sounding together and really bloody loud


Had this on the Varadero.

Even the crunchies that walk out in front of you with the headphones on hear it Smile

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorbike-High-Power-Compact-Dual/dp/B005IXDAOM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370262255&sr=8-1&keywords=stebel
____________________
Kwak Z750R Black Edition
Marauder 125 K3 (Murdered by a Megane), Varadero 125 V7 (sold), Varadero Thou (Sold), CB500S (Sold).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Springbok_Rider
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 16 Sep 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:31 - 03 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come ride in Norway where indicators seem to be optional. 90% of drivers at roundabouts here will not indicate to turn in front of you, but will indicate out the roundabout once you already know where they're going. Not sure if roundabouts are a new technology here but it certainly makes you more cautious. As a rule I won't go onto the roundabout unless it's empty and there isn't a chance of being cut off. Of course, the roundabouts in the UK are massive so this pretty much goes out of the window.
____________________
2005 SV650 ---> 2002 CBR 600 FS ---> 2010 Monster 1100 ---> 2006 Yamaha YZ250F ---> 2008 Street Triple 675
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 126 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.13 Sec - Server Load: 1.22 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 135.93 Kb