Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Admin fee for not paying for fuel?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

GrumpyGuts
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:10 - 08 Jun 2013    Post subject: Admin fee for not paying for fuel? Reply with quote

I filled up at the A1 services in Peterborough (shell) like I always do before work.

As soon as I dispensed the juice, I felt into my pocket so find that my wallet wasn't there. "Oh fucking bollucks" I exclaimed.

I then filled out the form so I can return to the station and pay the bill. However, after reading the form, I have to pay a £12 admin charge for an £11 fuel stop???

Robbing bastards!!!!!!!

RANT OVER

EDIT - oops, I think I read about the part about paying online costing £12. Still cheeky, I say!
____________________
My Bikes: Lifan Beat 125cc '11 -> Suzuki B120P '76 -> Suzuki EN 125-2A '08 -> Honda CG 125 '04 -> Honda CB600F Hornet '98 -> Kawasaki ZZR 600 '99 -> Kawasaki GPZ 500S '95 (Current)
Theory test passed - 09/02/2012 >>>> Module 1 passed 24/07/2012 >>>> Module 2 passed 24/10/2012
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Themightyimp
Crazy Courier



Joined: 24 May 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:53 - 08 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is it cheeky?
You're the one that fooked up.
Counter staff will have to explain and fill forms in as to why the till doesn't tally.
What would you rather happen?Get done for a ride off without paying?
____________________
1998 Yamaha FZS 600 Fazer
Now turned gay and got a cruiser.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer



Joined: 01 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:21 - 08 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pay what you owe for the fuel, the rest they can jump for.
If they want to argue walk away and not pay for anything, if the Police come round tell them you made an attempt to pay for the fuel.
Only pay for the fuel you have taken. Pay in cash and get a receipt.
____________________
Famous last words of Humpty Dumpty. " Stop pushing me "
Petty Anarchists look at "1984".............. The Visionary looks at "Animal Farm".
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hetzer
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:02 - 08 Jun 2013    Post subject: Re: Admin fee for not paying for fuel? Reply with quote

GrumpyGuts wrote:
I filled up at the A1 services in Peterborough (shell) like I always do before work.

As soon as I dispensed the juice, I felt into my pocket so find that my wallet wasn't there. "Oh fucking bollucks" I exclaimed.

I then filled out the form so I can return to the station and pay the bill. However, after reading the form, I have to pay a £12 admin charge for an £11 fuel stop???

Robbing bastards!!!!!!!

RANT OVER

EDIT - oops, I think I read about the part about paying online costing £12. Still cheeky, I say!


As Skudd says, does it not occur to you that all you are legally obliged to do is give your name and address and return later with payment for the fuel?

Jesus h christ, why are so many people in this country so fucking mindless and bent over? I get the whole average IQ is only 100 but still, W...T...F...F...?! Confused
____________________
"There's the horizon! Ride hard, ride fast and cut down all who stand in your way!"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

multijoy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:16 - 08 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, no. All you're legally required to do is to arrange to make payment. How that subsequently works out is between you and the garage is, effectively, a contract negotiation as to how the future payment will be made.

The customer is entirely at liberty to say "Sorry about that, I'll pop back in 5 minutes with the cash" without giving a single detail. However, if they don't know you or if it's at a busy forecourt, you'd not blame them for suspecting that you might be about to do a bunk if you're not prepared to do a bit of paperwork.

No excuse for an additional charge, though. Although OP does note that that was for the 'convenience' of paying online rather than in person (because sending a cheque to head office will be so much cheaper for them to process!)
____________________
'11 CBF1000A, '99 C90, '98 CB500
silky666: He rode amazingly well considering his bike is the weight of a small van and had slicks on.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Rebel This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Scotsman37
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:24 - 08 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave your name, address and phone number, plus something of collateral i.e. valuable watch or laptop or if you filled up a car then your spare wheel. Why, because you will definitely come back for it!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Rebel This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

multijoy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:35 - 08 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rebel wrote:
Shell will make you phone a friend for payment or they call the cops.


They can call the cops, who can then stand there and watch as you walk out having left your details. I bet their local force really loves them.

S3 Theft Act 1978 wrote:
a person who, knowing that payment on the spot for any goods supplied or service done is required or expected from him, dishonestly makes off without having paid as required or expected and with intent to avoid payment of the amount due shall be guilty of an offence.


The key points are in bold. By stopping and arranging to make a payment at a later date, you negate the offence. If they decide that they don't like the terms you're offering, then it becomes a civil matter. They can't detain you, and they certainly can't make you phone a friend.
____________________
'11 CBF1000A, '99 C90, '98 CB500
silky666: He rode amazingly well considering his bike is the weight of a small van and had slicks on.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Cyclingbiker
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 05 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:50 - 08 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did that once at the Shell garage about 500 yards from my house. It happened when my bike ran out of main tank fuel riding back from an 11-7 night shift and I had to switch onto reserve. I could've sworn I had my card with but I didn't and only realised once I had finished filling up (I always check now Laughing)

I went in immediately and apologised to the lady at the till. I left my keys, helmet and my wallet at the desk and walked home to fetch my card. She was alright about it and didn't feel under scrutiny, it was a genuine mistake. I suppose the fact that I would be back in a few minutes to pay meant there was no issue, I bet if I was say 100 miles from home it would be a different story Shocked
____________________
Honda CB500s (1999) - Honda CG 125 BR-J (1991)

Mod 1 - Passed - 12/11/12 --- Mod 2 - Passed - 26/11/12
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:02 - 08 Jun 2013    Post subject: Re: Admin fee for not paying for fuel? Reply with quote

Well, you agreed to that charge when you read the contract clearly displayed on the pump. They did have a contract clearly displayed on the pump, yes? Wink

Bear in mind that the shortfall comes out of the till monkey's pocket, so do pay it off ASAP, but admin charge? Get f​ucked, if it tallies at the end of the day then there's no harm and no foul.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

James83
Crazy Courier



Joined: 10 Apr 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:09 - 08 Jun 2013    Post subject: Re: Admin fee for not paying for fuel? Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Bear in mind that the shortfall comes out of the till monkey's pocket, so do pay it off ASAP, but admin charge? Get f​ucked, if it tallies at the end of the day then there's no harm and no foul.


Really? From the shops perspective, if you leave your details and then don't go back, its the same as just driving off. Given the amount of that going on, i find it hard to believe that its coming out of the pocket of the guy behind the till.

I'm working on the assumption that the till has an "This fuel wasn't paid for" option, so that the till isn't wrong every time it happens.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Disapproving Brit
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:52 - 08 Jun 2013    Post subject: Re: Admin fee for not paying for fuel? Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Bear in mind that the shortfall comes out of the till monkey's pocket


Pretty sure that would be an illegal deduction, not least because it would almost certainly take the till monkey below minimum wage.

Edit: In retail, it's a maximum of 10% for shrinkage, and must be agreed to in writing by the employee. Additionally, it cannot take the employee below National Minimum Wage. Since virtually all retail work is NMW anyway, I suspect they wouldn't legally be able to deduct anything.
____________________
Current Bikes: 1983 Honda VF400FD / 2003 Honda VT750 Shadow
Bike Test Passed 18/03/09, Car Test Passed 14/05/13
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

scorps
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:28 - 08 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Mobo services forget to charge you for fuel when you are buying other stuff, they call the cops from two shires to track down the petrol theif so they can get their £5.80 back Rolling Eyes They then get charged for the police time when CCTV shows you paying for everything on your card and it turns out the cashier forgot to add the etrol cost.

They then get their money back in pennies from disgruntled biker. Very Happy
____________________
Do not presume that I am male.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:31 - 08 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Till monkeys have said otherwise here.

They're probably lying though, you know what they're like. Wink
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Nov 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:47 - 08 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's happened to me a couple of times but I'm pretty sure I was never charged for the forgetfulness. FYI, in each case I rode straight home, got the dosh/card and trogged back to pay 'em.
____________________
"Life is a sexually transmitted disease and the mortality rate is one hundred percent."

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:03 - 08 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pay for the fuel and tell them to shove the admin fee. If they don't accept the payment, walk out, start recording with your phone, walk back in and dump the balance on the counter with a statement on what it's for, walk out again.
____________________
a.k.a 'Geri'

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:07 - 08 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

BP tried to make me get a taxi home to get my wallet - would have easily cost more than the fuel I'd put in and I was off to help someone putting some stuff in storage who was giving me £20 fuel money anyway.

Walked out explaining I'd be back with them saying they'd call the cops.

Oddly enough, when I got back to them it was "you're lucky, we haven't called the cops yet" Rolling Eyes.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kradmelder
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Jun 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:07 - 08 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you just get a fuel/garage card? Mine debits direct from my credit card. It is on the key ring with my keys.

Many petrol stations have ATMs as well. You can always go draw cash if you want to pay cash.
____________________
2011 KTM 990 Dakar
2009 BMW 1200 GS


Last edited by Kradmelder on 18:09 - 08 Jun 2013; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:08 - 08 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kradmelder wrote:
Why don't you just get a fuel/garage card? Mine debits direct from my credit card.

Many petrol stations have ATMs as well. You can always go draw cash if you want to pay cash.

Doesn't really help in the "left wallet at home situation" Smile.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kawakid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:17 - 08 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't everyone keep a £20 under their seat just in case.
____________________
I've a twin and a 4.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer



Joined: 01 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:17 - 08 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotsman37 wrote:
Leave your name, address and phone number, plus something of collateral i.e. valuable watch or laptop or if you filled up a car then your spare wheel. Why, because you will definitely come back for it!


DO NOT leave anything. Stuff can get lost or damaged.
____________________
Famous last words of Humpty Dumpty. " Stop pushing me "
Petty Anarchists look at "1984".............. The Visionary looks at "Animal Farm".
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hetzer
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:27 - 08 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my world...walk in, say "forgot me wallet", produce broadsword and open up every cunt on the premises. Thumbs Up
____________________
"There's the horizon! Ride hard, ride fast and cut down all who stand in your way!"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer



Joined: 01 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:35 - 08 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to deal with forgotten wallets a lot. We just took details and copied any id that they may have, even went so far as checking the tax disc to see it matched the car reg. You ended up getting a feel for those who were not going to return. Asked for phone details and land line numbers, rang the numbers to check if they were right if we could. The money didn't come out of any ones pockets who were on the till.

On the other side of things I used to carry a £20 note inside my lid just in case.

I have driven off by accident without paying and realised that I had too much money in my wallet and returned, with the Police at the station looking at CCTV for me. Very embarrassed for doing that, but it does happen and the Police usually just turn up at your house and remind you to pay.

I have also forgotten my wallet and arranged to return the following day to pay for the fuel without any issues.

I have also had it where they had not added my fuel to a purchase, but once I had realised this, I have returned at my convenience to pay for the fuel.

The only way around this and some stations insist on it is that you pay first (usually at night with a garage that has a known problem with drive offs) They lose out because you will only put £10 in to get you home instead of filling up.

Drive offs are a big issues for petrol stations, but the till operator needs to be vigilant when authorising the pump to make sure the person isn't filling large drums in the rear or back seat of the car.
____________________
Famous last words of Humpty Dumpty. " Stop pushing me "
Petty Anarchists look at "1984".............. The Visionary looks at "Animal Farm".
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kradmelder
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Jun 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:53 - 08 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

why not do what darkies do? beat your fellow darkie to death for not putting fuel in your car without paying

https://www.iol.co.za/news/south-africa/western-cape/pics-petrol-attendant-beaten-to-death-1.1528625#.UbNu9JQaKAk

https://www.iol.co.za/news/crime-courts/petrol-jockey-beaten-to-death-1.1528628#.UbNuS5QaKAk
____________________
2011 KTM 990 Dakar
2009 BMW 1200 GS
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 117 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 1.28 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 132.7 Kb