Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


ER-6f -v- CBR600f

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

fatjames
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jul 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:33 - 22 Jun 2012    Post subject: ER-6f -v- CBR600f Reply with quote

Good morning all. I've decided to get a 2012 model new bike. I'm stuck between to the 2 in the title.
I'm planning on restricting it, like a good boy, so the power doesn't matter too much.
I prefer the looks of the Kawasaki due to the 2 headlights next to each (like they should be) rather than the new style cyclops 1 eyed look.
https://cdn.bikechatforums.com/files/er-6f.jpg -v- https://cdn.bikechatforums.com/files/cbrf.jpg
I also like the look of the rear shock on the kawasaki.
Info I'm after. Does anyone have any experience with these bikes and details of reliability? Which one will sting me more for service schedules and prices etc.
I'm going to go and have a proper look at them and see which one feels right too.
Any pointers?

Thanks all
Fatjames
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

garth
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:39 - 22 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had that much dollar I'd buy two or three bikes.

Easily get a perfectly reliable day to day bike, a muddy toy and a track hack for the list price of an ER6F.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

garth
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:40 - 22 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or if I was going to get a 2012 bike and was heart set on it being brand new, a Street Triple.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Matt B
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:02 - 22 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ER6 was cheap when it came out and was built down to a price. The new models however seem better and have the nice Ninja style look now.

I think the Kawasaki has the edge on looks but the Honda has more power for when the restictor falls out Wink We are talking 30bhp here and that is a BIG difference, plus Honda will stick an Akrapovic can on for £99 - Bargain!

CBR has more suspension twidling bits.

In fact the more I look at it, even though I know the Honda is stronger, the more I like that funky swing arm on the ER6.

What you are really looking at is a twin v an in line 4. Have you read the MCN reviews?

Tough one... Personally I would opt for more power and better suspension on the CBR.
____________________
stinkwheel: He had an animated .gif of a cat performing fellatio. It's not socially acceptable. It can have real life adverse effects on other people.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

janner_10
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Sep 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:06 - 22 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say the honda all day long, in almost every department.
____________________
Yamaha FZS600 (Now gone to heaven) > CBR600F4i (SOLD) > '99 YZF-R1
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:18 - 22 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honda... but different year.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Joncrete Cungle
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:25 - 22 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honda all day, everyday. Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

allotriophagy
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 28 May 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:01 - 22 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't the new CBR600Fs more like a CBF600 with different fairings, compared to the old ones?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

garth
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:02 - 22 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

allotriophagy wrote:
Aren't the new CBR600Fs shit?


Yes.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Slacker24seve...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 May 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:04 - 22 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honda, out of those two. It's a Hornet in a dress but Hornets are good bikes anyway.

Can't see the point in spending that much on a restricted bike, particularly if the restriction isn't going to fall out, myself though.
____________________
Triumph Daytona 675 track bike + girlfriend's Honda Hornet 600
Selling a hack/winter bike for less than a grand? PM me.
Banger rallies are ace
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mjn51
Traffic Copper



Joined: 04 Feb 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:11 - 22 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok I'll stick up for the ER6F, question, why did most/all of the best TT riders use the ER6F as the starting block for their 650 supertwin race machines ?
M
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Slacker24seve...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 May 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:14 - 22 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjn51 wrote:
ok I'll stick up for the ER6F, question, why did most/all of the best TT riders use the ER6F as the starting block for their 650 supertwin race machines ?
M


The CBR isn't a twin.
____________________
Triumph Daytona 675 track bike + girlfriend's Honda Hornet 600
Selling a hack/winter bike for less than a grand? PM me.
Banger rallies are ace
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

sebastianw
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 22 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:11 - 22 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just made the same choice and ended up with the 2012 ER6F. Better riding position (for me), better commuting, better price and if it's anything like the last one I had will do 30,000 miles trouble free and with minimum maintenance costs. Good fun on the twisties as well.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

fatjames
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jul 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:26 - 22 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, good advice to take on board. My original plan was to get a VanVan for work and cbr for the weekends, both 2nd hand of course.
However the more and more I looked into this, the more I thought I wanted a bike that I could "trust". I've bought three 2nd bikes so far, the first was great. The 2nd two however have both needed money spent on them not long after buying. I understand experience comes with time but at the moment I really don't have the confidence to buy 2nd hand. The £900 Virago has just cost me over £300 and it was meant to be my cheap run around until I saved up for something more permanent.
I think the next stage is to go and have a sit on them and see how they feel. Although, I'm think I'm swaying towards the ER in green!
Thanks again everyone.
FJ
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ninjagirl76
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 08 Jun 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:09 - 22 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i had the cash for a new bike it would be the ER6n for me personally. It's nice and compact feeling good for me being dinky.

However as i dont have the cash for a new bike im aiming for a 2000ish cbr600f ... in black and yellow cos i like the colour and i won't match the ex lol
____________________
Sam
Given up on DAS sick of being skint
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:25 - 22 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buying a £7300 bike to save money? Even the ER6-f is £6000 / £6400 (ABS). Eh?

The budget conscious choices in a (new) big bike would be a Honda NC700S or a BMW G650GS.

But since you're looking at fun-commuters-in-a-frock, you should really just go with whichever one floats your boat, neither is a particularly rational choice. However, there should still be plenty of 2011 model stock kicking around unregistered if you want to save a bit while still being the first arse on them.

Have you ruled out Suzukis? The GSX650F is £5916 at the moment, and while the SV650 is off their cashback offer, I doubt you'd pay more than £5K for one, even if you asked for full fairings on it. Their sales are in the toilet, they'll be gagging to shift stock. They're old designs, but that means that they've worked through the issues.

But really, buying new? Get a 2 year old low mileage bike just out of warranty and buy an extended one, spend the savings on fuel and fun.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

T0MMY
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:05 - 23 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I doubt the repairs needed (if any) on a nearly new second hand bike will cost nearly as much as the depreciation.

You could get a far better bike than either of your choices for far less...I really don't see the point in spending £6000 on a mediocre bike when you could get almost anything 2nd hand for that much money.

If you must buy new, could you buy a ZX10R please? Only I might buy one in about 6 years and I'll be wanting a healthy second hand market.
____________________
ZX6R + CBR600RR
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Fowlersrs
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:02 - 23 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

no offence to the ER6 but I would never buy one new, its just not a high end bike, your better of looking at a Street Triple.. now thats a bike worth paying top dollar for as they hold there value so well..

CBR600 for me is well meh, its a Honda so yeah its great, but everyone's got one? oh look just another honda, if your buying with a big budget invest in something original, interesting.... thats my 2p Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 358 days between these two posts...

Locktab
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 17 Jun 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:30 - 17 Jun 2013    Post subject: Which bike Reply with quote

I am probably too late but for what it's worth I owned a Versys for 3 years and covered about 59000 miles on it. All good untill the last 6 months then it all started going wrong. now I have the CBR600f which has turned out to be just as good on fuel if you take it easy, it's faster and so much smoother although not quite as flexible. The Honda would be my choise but the Kawasaki has it's good points. Give them both a test and go for the one that feels best. Hope it works out for you niether bike is bad so sure you will be ok.
____________________
Rob Hallinan
I'm 50 and I feel it,
shame I don't act it
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

cg125erinit
Nova Slayer



Joined: 22 May 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:14 - 17 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

janner_10 wrote:
I would say the honda all day long, in almost every department.


Had Honda not shit all over their own legend by effectively copying the horrible er6f I would agree. But look at it ffs. What an abomination. Shocked

That said, why would you choose what is effectively a 30 year old 70hp gpz500s commuter over the lovely (if a little vibey at times) detuned 100bhp supersports lump of the 600f?

Unless you have an aesthetic affinity with the stand up and beg, gay exhaust type 'noobie bike' middle weights, I'd just get two nice used bikes: a real cbr600 and a varadero for commuting. Thumbs Up

Personally speaking, by which I mean subjectively as fuck, I'd never buy these 'middle weight' bikes. As others have said they are made to a budget that is well below their rrp. Suspension, cycle parts, fixtures are all going to be crap or have a very limited function and life expectancy. Just get a quality used bike with preferably aftermarket upgrades in the key areas for a lot less ..

OH SHIT I GOT NECRO'D. Sick DAMN YOU LOCKTAB. Mr. Green
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

CarlosCBR
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Mar 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:38 - 17 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I regularly ride with a couple of mates that have the ER6. Nothing wrong with them mechanically but the build quality is starting to rear its ugly head recently, few rust patches appearing on the suspension mount welds and corrosion in hard to reach places. My CBR has a few thousand more miles on the clocks than their bikes and looks like a brand new bike after a wash. The build quality of the Honda FAR exceeds the Kawasakis but has already depreciated to the £4500-5000 mark.



https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/481555_566340760073443_137345529_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/523401_547385081969011_85093176_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/68918_529592687081584_974182061_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/248153_566393013401551_55900288_n.jpg

The ER6, especially the N model is fantastically comfortable to ride however the lack of any front fairing/screen starts to annoy me from the wind blast, feels like a push bike to ride compared to the CBR. The CBR is also very comfortable to ride especially at speed with a double bubble screen.

Servicing for the CBR is every 8000 miles but i change the oil every 4000 miles just because i dont trust it being in there that long, iirc its about half that for the ER.
____________________
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OPv5mDPQ14

https://www.facebook.com/carl.simmonds.7
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

cg125erinit
Nova Slayer



Joined: 22 May 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:43 - 17 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

8000 mile oil changes? Crickey. Do they recommend a proper group iv synthetic lubricant then? Or just regular old SG / JASO MA?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer



Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:06 - 17 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

cg125erinit wrote:
That said, why would you choose what is effectively a 30 year old 70hp gpz500s commuter


Please explain this comment?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

hmmmnz
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:20 - 17 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think he is trying to convince himself that because its a parallel twin,
then it must be the same as an old gpz twin,
the fact that the motors are completely different beasts altogether has escaped him,
may be he should do some research before sounding so confident,
____________________
the humans are dead
I kick arse for the lord
Wiring Diagrams BIDNIP it bitches
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Aff
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 May 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:22 - 17 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what made you choose the ER6 in the end James?
____________________
Current Bikes:Honda 929RR Fireblade, Honda CD200 Benly (Project), Stomp Z2 140
Electric Bike Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 116 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.51 Sec - Server Load: 0.9 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 129.75 Kb