Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


'Big' scooter as daily / bad weather commuter?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

smithyithy
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 15 Feb 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:58 - 17 Jun 2013    Post subject: 'Big' scooter as daily / bad weather commuter? Reply with quote

Currently on my A2 restricted license, riding a CBR400RR that to be fair is really clean and I like to keep it that way as such..

Daily is a pretty unreliable old VW Polo.

Ideal situation is to just ride year round, wouldn't bother me really.

My work commute that I drive, or ride if the weather's okay, is about half an hour each way on the motorway, or 45 mins on the A-road route (preferable for the bike, just means setting out earlier).

So it just came into my head, a big-ish scooter as a daily? Mainly cause they're much lazier to ride and more comfy, slap a big screen on, heated grips etc, and your legs stay kinda dry as they're shielded. Not to mention generally a lot of storage space and very good MPG. Wouldn't need to worry about cleaning it or anything, just use it as a workhorse.

So what are your views? Anyone own / had a bigger scooter, recomend any models to check out, other options? I wouldn't mind a second a proper bike, I'm just thinking about practicality, and cost..
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:27 - 17 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is as an alternative to the car I would keep the car. I get why a big scooter is appealing, but as somebody who lives in a household with one bike and no cars, I can really see the downsides. Weekly shopping is the main one, also family events where you need to turn up smart or take lots of things (christenings or Christmas). It is all possible on a bike, I have the last 5 years to prove that. But it would be much easier with a car.

If it is along side the car and bike and you can afford a third vehicle then I see no reason not to.
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

smithyithy
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 15 Feb 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:49 - 17 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I live and at home currently, for the forseeable future in all honesty, so it's really just for commuting.

Very occasionally I'll give someone a lift or whatever but they can catch a bloody bus lol
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:03 - 17 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need a car for shopping Laughing

https://super-user.co.uk/shop2.jpg

I'd probably end up getting a Deauville if I wanted to do all weathers and have decent protection.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

-Matt-
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Apr 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:15 - 17 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always wondered how people filter on some of those really big scooters they look wider than a goldwing sometimes Shocked
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:17 - 17 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

##Paddy## wrote:
You don't need a car for shopping Laughing

https://super-user.co.uk/shop2.jpg

I'd probably end up getting a Deauville if I wanted to do all weathers and have decent protection.


True you don't, I've been far more loaded up than that in the past. But it would make it easier.
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:58 - 17 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's-his-chops on MCN is raving about his Suzuki Burgervan[*] Executive as a commuter. The mirrors fold in electrically, it has loads of storage space and comfort gubbins, and he reckons it's narrower than just about any bike.

And it's only nine thousand pounds. Nine. Thousand. Pounds. Pale

Eh, worth a look, but no bike is all-year-round. There will be a couple of days when there's just too much snow / ice / wind, and then what do you do?

[*] I believe that Turdman and Burgmong are also acceptable.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike


Last edited by Rogerborg on 20:47 - 17 Jun 2013; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

j.silvs
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Dec 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:57 - 17 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think people forget that every supermarket does online delivery!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Marmalade
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:01 - 17 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a piaggio X9 250 for a while and makes an excellent commuter. You can buy leg covers as well that stop your legs getting wet and the radiator air gets pushed under it as well keeping you warm.
You look and feel a bit of an idiot but you are a warm and dry idiot and it made it worthwhile for me.

Fast enough to be first off the lights, will cruise at 70 and uses not a great deal of petrol.
____________________
Nobby the Bastard: How yo tell the difference between the actual japanese and her just screaming because she's had live fish stuck up her arse? [url=https://www.nicks-shop.co.uk/bcf-goodies-15-c.aspGet BCF stickers and things here[/url] Reflective helmet stickers - Legal requirement in france - Clicky
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:41 - 17 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shop that used to service the works bike issued either a Burgman (450cc) or an X9 (500cc) as a courtesy bike, so I've done a good few thousand miles on both as short haul despatch machines (ten hour day inside a 40 mile radius of Birmingham), can't fault them. Surprisingly good weather protection, felt solid on the motorway and handled traffic far better than I expected. The X9 even had en electric centre stand Laughing

I'd certainly run one as a commuter Thumbs Up
____________________
I'm immortal. Well, so far.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Jul 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:06 - 17 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is though that a disposable run it into the ground daily beater on 4wheels is always cheaper than a bike and more so with a big scooter, as they are expensive and seem to hold their price as well.

Unless you don't have the room/space or inclination to use a car, id stick with a small cheap banger, and when it packs up, you'd get another one easy for peanuts as well.

I think some sort of covered over bike trailer is a better and more useful thing to have than a big scooter, as you can carry more and don't need to take it with you unless your planning on buying something very big/heavy which probably would be awkward and maybe unstable to carry on a scooter.

If you want a scooter for the summer to nip down town for a few cans wearing your shorts and slipper's, then either get a cheap 50cc twist and go, or go for an old classic full bodied Lammy or Vespa FTW! You really don't want a big daft huge scooter, so have a word with yourself!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

smithyithy
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 15 Feb 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:05 - 17 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

Cheers for the advice guys. It's mainly cause driving just bored me now, I really don't like commuting in the car and I wish I could be bothered to take the CBR out in all weather, so wanted a kinda happy medium. I guess buy/run/replace idea with the car is a good one!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

calyx
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:05 - 23 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commuted on/in a burgervan 400 for 2 years.
It really is as comfy as it gets on a 2 wheeler. If you are not looking for morning fun (I am not talking about blowjobs here) it is the machine.
I also have to admit most of the time preferred burgervan over proper bike. Embarassed
____________________
Boris - London
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 101 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.84 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 79.53 Kb