|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Drax |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Drax Scooby Slapper
Joined: 17 Apr 2009 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 21:02 - 19 Jun 2013 Post subject: Buying without a test ride |
 |
|
As the above says:
Would you ever buy a bike without a test ride?
I've found my dream bike. . @ £7K
One year old. Low mileage(1500) One years manufacturers warranty left: One owner. FSH. Some very desirable extras fitted. Sold from the original Yamaha dealers that it was bought from.
But.... I cant get down to test ride it as its too far. They will deliver for a very good price though.
I cant tell you what it is in case one of you beats me to it - although I will say its got R1 in it.
Opinions ? Thoughts?
Positive replies preferred even though it is the BCF!  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Sako |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Sako World Chat Champion

Joined: 19 Feb 2012 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| J.M. |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 J.M. World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Mar 2011 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 21:09 - 19 Jun 2013 Post subject: |
 |
|
As Sako says. Get your arse down there and ride it!
If you're that sure you're going to buy it, you can get down there. My guess is delivery is costing you £99 or slightly more. You can get a train ticket there and ride it back for that much.
I can get from Leicester/Birmingham to Maidstone via London for £15. Your only excuse is laziness  ____________________ 2004 R1 & 2018 XSR900 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Nb |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Nb World Chat Champion
Joined: 17 May 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 21:09 - 19 Jun 2013 Post subject: |
 |
|
I would say not without a test ride, but seeing as i bought both my bikes and everyone of my cars without a test drive feel free to ignore me.  ____________________ Cbr1100xx blackbird gone, mk4 golf gt tdi chav now
Colin1 wrote 'Im grateful for what i can get, which isnt all that much.'
Columbus travel insurance are crap!! Do not use! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Seb |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Seb World Chat Champion

Joined: 19 Jul 2007 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| RhynoCZ |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 RhynoCZ Super Spammer

Joined: 09 Mar 2012 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 21:20 - 19 Jun 2013 Post subject: |
 |
|
I've just sold the bike to a lad and he had no test ride. I actually ridden the bike to his place, he had no licence. I bought my first bike with out a test ride, it was a '88 GPz550 and -15°C and I've never had been on a bike alone before. My mate tested the bike and ran on it back home, about 20 miles and it got even colder.
Q:An unusual request for you, people of the UK. Can you tell me, if the grammar is alright, please? I'm still not sure about have/had when I'm trying to express past tense.  ____________________ '87 Honda XBR 500, '96 Kawasaki ZX7R P1, '90 Honda CB-1, '88 Kawasaki GPz550, MZ 150 ETZ
'95 Mercedes-Benz w202 C200 CGI, '98 Mercedes-Benz w210 E200 Kompressor |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Minty |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Minty World Chat Champion

Joined: 23 Dec 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Nexus Icon |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Nexus Icon World Chat Champion
Joined: 26 Aug 2010 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| RhynoCZ |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 RhynoCZ Super Spammer

Joined: 09 Mar 2012 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| James83 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 James83 Crazy Courier
Joined: 10 Apr 2013 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 21:41 - 19 Jun 2013 Post subject: |
 |
|
| RhynoCZ wrote: | Q:An unusual request for you, people of the UK. Can you tell me, if the grammar is alright, please? I'm still not sure about have/had when I'm trying to express past tense.  |
As everyone else said, its already better than most on the internet, but in the interest of helping, the below are technically more correct. They are all pretty pedantic changes, as well, so please don't take this as criticism.
| RhynoCZ wrote: | I've just sold the bike to a lad and he had no test ride. |
| RhynoCZ wrote: | I've just sold the bike to a lad and he didn't have a test ride. |
'Had' is actually correct in the way you used it as such, but the syntax was a bit weird, and you want 'have' rather than 'had' this way round. Mind you, you could also say 'he didn't take a test ride, so this is subjective to how you word the sentence.
| RhynoCZ wrote: | I actually ridden the bike to his place, he had no licence. |
| RhynoCZ wrote: | I actually rode the bike to his place, he had no licence. |
Ok, not a tense issue, but thought I'd mention it
| RhynoCZ wrote: | I bought my first bike with out a test ride, it was a '88 GPz550 and -15°C and I've never had been on a bike alone before. |
| RhynoCZ wrote: | I bought my first bike with out a test ride, it was a '88 GPz550 and -15°C and I had never been on a bike alone before. |
'I've' is short for 'I have', so the way you put it reads as 'I have never had been on a bike'.
Incoming corrections on my corrections in 3...2...1...
 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Musketeer |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Musketeer World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Jun 2011 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| reed |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 reed Nearly there...

Joined: 28 Oct 2012 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 21:45 - 19 Jun 2013 Post subject: |
 |
|
I have owned 5 bikes, and have only test ridden one.
My current bike, I went to the guys house, walked round it once, walked into his house and gave him the money.
In fact my old 50cc bike I had, I didn't even look at at all, it turned up in a van and I gave him some money. (had some fucked bits as I later found out.)
Guess I'm just lucky to get ones that aren't broken, mostly. ____________________ Generic XOR 50, Gilera SMT 50, GSXR 400 GK73A, Ducati Monster 600, Honda Hornet 600.
Sold. Stolen. Written off. Sold. Current. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| RhynoCZ |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 RhynoCZ Super Spammer

Joined: 09 Mar 2012 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 21:48 - 19 Jun 2013 Post subject: |
 |
|
Well James, thank you  ____________________ '87 Honda XBR 500, '96 Kawasaki ZX7R P1, '90 Honda CB-1, '88 Kawasaki GPz550, MZ 150 ETZ
'95 Mercedes-Benz w202 C200 CGI, '98 Mercedes-Benz w210 E200 Kompressor |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ammoman |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ammoman Nitrous Nuisance

Joined: 04 Nov 2012 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 21:57 - 19 Jun 2013 Post subject: |
 |
|
Just purchased a 09reg ER6F in as new condition for 2.5k
Didn't test ride it as I thought he may put the price up while I was out Bargin  ____________________ 2013 ZZR1400 & Honda CG125 1986.. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| TheSmiler |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 TheSmiler World Chat Champion

Joined: 14 Apr 2011 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 22:06 - 19 Jun 2013 Post subject: |
 |
|
My current bike I didn't test ride I just purchased it on a whim and it worked out, very risky though. ____________________ CB125>CG125>GN125>ER5>K100RS>R1100RS>K100RS
A2 completed 23/07/15 Ready for the Golden Crisp Packet |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Wonko The Sane |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Wonko The Sane World Chat Champion

Joined: 20 Jan 2013 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Dave70 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Dave70 World Chat Champion

Joined: 21 Jan 2012 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rogerborg |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rogerborg nimbA

Joined: 26 Oct 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 22:50 - 19 Jun 2013 Post subject: Re: Buying without a test ride |
 |
|
How much of that can you afford to throw away?
Don't be a nonce, buy a bus ticket and go and ride it. ____________________ Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Fifteen15 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Fifteen15 World Chat Champion

Joined: 25 Apr 2011 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| The Tot |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 The Tot World Chat Champion

Joined: 11 Jun 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| henry hoover |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 henry hoover Scooby Slapper
Joined: 15 May 2013 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| trevor saxe-coburg-gotha |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 trevor saxe-coburg-gotha World Chat Champion

Joined: 22 Nov 2012 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MG |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MG Traffic Copper
Joined: 10 Oct 2011 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 23:19 - 19 Jun 2013 Post subject: |
 |
|
What's going to be wrong with a one year old, 1500 miler that needs a test ride to notice? If you want to work out if the bike suits you then go and ride another nearer to home. My Dad bought an 11 plate GSXR750 recently for exactly that money, didnt even consider test riding it. It was mint, what's the point? ____________________
'03 Honda Cityfly 125 > '02 Honda CB500S > '98 Honda CBR600F |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| scorps |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 scorps World Chat Champion

Joined: 29 Jan 2007 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Tungtvann |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Tungtvann World Chat Champion

Joined: 07 Dec 2012 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 13 years, 110 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|