Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Unspoken Filtering Racing

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

dragstaar
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Aug 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:07 - 20 Jun 2013    Post subject: Unspoken Filtering Racing Reply with quote

I do this all the time.

Maybe its because I ride in London which involves pretty much 95% filtering.

For those of you who are thinking "wtf is this guy on about" let me explain.

Unspoken filtering racing seems to occur when a group of motorcyclists who have never met each other are travelling along a road, (usually a main one like the ol' A23 down my way, which goes all the way into central so you usually stay together for a while).

As you reach traffic, you find yourself taking different filtering routes, some will take the bus lane, others will take the white line etc, and each time you reach a bottle-neck, you get a sense of victory as you successfully filter out and poor sod other-biker gets stuck behind a van.

Then as he catches up it all starts again, racing, but more strategic racing, lining yourself up knowing that so many cars will turn off here, knowing that theres a "turning lane" that'll be empty and you can just shoot straight ahead.

Then there's the lols of someone taking a ballsy manouvre then having to slam on the brakes because he didn't know there was a traffic island there and you want to shout out "HAH! NOooOB why'd you think I undertook the bus, dickhead"

Certainly seems to make the commute more fun
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tungtvann
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Dec 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:12 - 20 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motorway is good too. Plodding along and have some biker pass you, 'I think not, good sir, stand by!' And off I go. Doesn't work so well when I'm in the car though...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Banger
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 25 Apr 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:14 - 20 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

This happens all the time on my daily ride into work across Blackheath common on the A2 and down into Lewisham - Old Kent Road ! Laughing

Narrows the field a lot. Less about what bike you are on and much more about who knows the road / way the traffic flows at what time of day . . . that and who has the bigger kahoonas some times.

The sense of smugness achievable from playing this game is mahoosive. Thumbs Up
____________________
You only get one lap of lifes track . . . . so make it a fast one !
Yamaha . . Keyboards to biking nirvana.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:23 - 20 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's what makes commuting through the city on the bike so fun!

I'd say it is 40% balls, 40% skill/knowledge of the road and 20% the bike you are on.
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

j.silvs
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Dec 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:45 - 20 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do this every day lol.

A1 into central london! I love it - never beat the bloody Penigale tho Crying or Very sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Derivative
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Aug 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:52 - 20 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not been into London much, are most of the roads 50 like the North Circular or are they lower?

Filtering racing for me would generally be a suicide race, most of my filtering is on congested motorways. I mean, you *could* do 70 (officer) down the gap but.....
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:54 - 20 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulled up at a set of lights next to someone who lived on my road who was also on a sports 600 some years ago.

He got left behind.

"I didn't realise it was a race."

"It's always a race", I explained!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

esullivan
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 06 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:09 - 20 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do this in my head on the way home (Finsbury Square->Barbican->Kings Cross->Marlybone Flyover->A40). On the way in, I go in so early that filtering is necessary only when pulling up to lights, so it's not much of a race.

I'm currently most comfortable in the middle of the pack. I used to be way at the back and pull off constantly to let other riders past. Now I keep up, but I'm not among the 20-year-olds doing wheelies off the lights, undertaking buses turning left or filtering at 40mph between lanes crawling at 5mph. That's Darwin territory...
____________________
Current: '14 VFR800X Test passed 31/10/12.
Previous: '12 NC700S, '11 CBF 125, '04 SH 125.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

yen_powell
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:31 - 20 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to have someone in front of me who filters at the same speed.

They act as biking's equivalent of a canary in a cage for me.
____________________
Blackmail is a nasty word........but not as nasty as phlegm!
XT1200Z and a DR350 in bits
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:34 - 20 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

yen_powell wrote:
I like to have someone in front of me who filters at the same speed.

They act as biking's equivalent of a canary in a cage for me.


Unless you get the guy who thinks "I'll just wait until this bike passes then I'll get me sandwiches from the boot"
____________________
Chances are quite high you are not in my Monkeysphere, and I don't care about you. Don't take it personally.
Currently : Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:38 - 20 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind being at the front with my noisy pipes, I do struggle a bit with my mirrors though. I was unbeatable when I had my CBR Sad

My absolute number one hate is people who can see somebody has caught up with them and yet wont move over even when there are plenty of gaps to do so. You end up with a tail of 10 or more bikes chained like a game of snake. Then some cock who I passed 5 miles back cunts it up the inside lane causing all of the cars to swerve towards the slow biker and his snake tail. Then, when I eventually get passed Mr Filter-Blocker I have to re-pass inside lane cunt, again!
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpha-9
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:47 - 20 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love filtering racing, it's only ever me and some guy on a 'supermoto' 125 I keep running into, he's so high up on the thing he sees over all the cars, but i'm tall as fuck so can anyway Razz

Problem is speeding, hard not to get cocky and race each other, especially hilarious when its my 600 versus their 125 and they think they're awesome doing 50mph
____________________
Fzr-600 1999
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer



Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:54 - 20 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:

"I didn't realise it was a race."


Only because he lost. Wink
____________________
My Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sable
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:56 - 20 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

My whole journeys A40 & A406 and I currently keep getting stuck behind a slow arse filtererer on a fat sports bike near 7:10am on the A40. I cry every time I get stuck behind him. Nowhere to pass in solid lines of traffic and he never pulls over to lets us pass. There must have been 8 of us stuck behind him this mornin doing 10mph in 9mph traffic >.<
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

j.silvs
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Dec 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:16 - 20 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha

What bike do you ride sable?

I sometimes take A406
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

yen_powell
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:22 - 20 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
yen_powell wrote:
I like to have someone in front of me who filters at the same speed.

They act as biking's equivalent of a canary in a cage for me.


Unless you get the guy who thinks "I'll just wait until this bike passes then I'll get me sandwiches from the boot"
No worries about that, he drives in on the M4..
____________________
Blackmail is a nasty word........but not as nasty as phlegm!
XT1200Z and a DR350 in bits
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:23 - 20 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tungtvann wrote:
Motorway is good too. Plodding along and have some biker pass you, 'I think not, good sir, stand by!' And off I go.


Everyday on the M62.
No-one can squeeze through a space like me and my zxr Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:25 - 20 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing I was filter racing this morning. Don't really do London at rush hour, but had an exam to get to. I let loads of bikes past me actually as I knew they'd be more on the ball with it, but me and one other guy were neck and neck for the entire M4/A4 right up to Hyde Park corner when he went another way. Was pretty fun Mr. Green. Although we weren't properly racing, but we were both well aware of each other being there, snaking along different lanes, sometimes I was behind him and sometimes him behind me.

Quote:
sometimes I was behind him and sometimes him behind me.


......hm? Thinking what? Thinking
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpha-9
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:26 - 20 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

After clipping a mirror or two with my stupid bar ends I stop over committing to tiny gaps for the sake of getting in front of a single car

all this time and I havent even been on a motorway yet Laughing
____________________
Fzr-600 1999
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:28 - 20 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sable wrote:
There must have been 8 of us stuck behind him this mornin doing 10mph in 9mph traffic >.<


Perhaps he's not aware of your presence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWy8OqbqvcM
____________________
Chances are quite high you are not in my Monkeysphere, and I don't care about you. Don't take it personally.
Currently : Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Nov 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:30 - 20 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fifteen15 egged me on to follow him in some filtering the other day in york (bad influence, that boy!). Felt goooood. Very gooooood. Not entirely sure why, mind you. I mean, I actually don't get that fucked off by traffic. Especially in york cos the totty passing by is in-fucking-credible a lot of the time. And yet that little bit of slow manoeuvring that gets you to the bike box is its own reward somehow.
____________________
"Life is a sexually transmitted disease and the mortality rate is one hundred percent."

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Muscle Bike Rider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:33 - 20 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh the A13 filter scramble, I'm not the quickest but I'm not slow, often get stuck behind a guy on an ex police bike, he still has the light on a pole on the rear and wears a hi viz with Polite on it, causes all the traffic to slow as he must get mistaken for a copper. On my way home I usualy get owned by a fit young lady in pink leathers on an R6 I think, she is quick and dont hang around. Smile
____________________
Previously Known As A5tra_G
Old Bikes :2010 Kawasaki ER6 F & 2000 Honda VTR Firestorm
Current Bike : XJR1300
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sable
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:43 - 20 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.Silvs wrote:


What bike do you ride sable?


A green Trackstar https://www.motorcyclenews.com/upload/270462/images/02sinnis-trackstar.jpg Like that with bar end mirror's, exhaust wrap and some other minor stuff. Hit the A406 between hanger lane and wood green between 7:30 and 8 Smile

@ Shaggy - The amount of tooting and revving of engines people do behind him, I reckon he knows but is too stubborn / scared to move into the traffic flow and back into a filtering position again Neutral
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sable
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:45 - 20 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kwakerz wrote:
On my way home I usualy get owned by a fit young lady in pink leathers on an R6 I think, she is quick and dont hang around. Smile


The legendary pink lady rider of the A13. I have heard of her. Everyone in London has heard of her. Nobody has caught her. Nobody has pulled her. Its believed the one that catches her will get mating rights... Its believed thats never gonna happen.... Mr. Green
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:48 - 20 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or he gains smug satisfaction from having a tiny bit of control over others actions.

I followed a slowie on the A2 one day years ago, getting frustrated and considering forcing a pass. half a mile later he got lane-chopped by a dude in an escort van, glanced off the side of that and went splat into the back of a Transit. Glad I stayed behind then.
____________________
a.k.a 'Geri'

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 105 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 1.03 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 128.46 Kb