Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


money well spent

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Sako
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:22 - 20 Jun 2013    Post subject: money well spent Reply with quote

Decided to book a 4 hour session with an advanced bike instructor the other day to see if I could get much out of it...

Well I have to say I have noticed a big difference in my corner speeds and positioning, also ability to read the roads is better too, at the end of the 4 hours we were returning back the way we came and it was at a far more 'spirited' pace, but felt much more relaxed/smooth.

Best 'mod' I've ever bought for the bike!

(Nice to have an instructor that is happy to move along 'briskly', and I previously thought I was a reasonably quick rider)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Fifteen15
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:33 - 21 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Transformed my riding too after doing the IAM. You don't realise how many things you're doing 'wrong' until someone points out a better way of doing it and you think oooooh.

Had a free lesson off a biker cop the other day actually. He pulled me over to ask about some bike event going on in town and we got talking about advanced riding, then we went for a ride with me following.
____________________
"Pain is weakness leaving the body, and blood makes the grass grow faster...but I'll wear my gear anyway"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tungtvann
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Dec 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:54 - 21 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking about ways to improve my riding, went out with my brother in law for the first time the other day, and it's amazing how much extra speed he carries through the corners and also how early he puts the power down out of them. Whilst I can't catch up 20+ years of biking experience, I'm sure I can help my progress a bit in other ways.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sako
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:34 - 21 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tungtvann wrote:
I've been thinking about ways to improve my riding, went out with my brother in law for the first time the other day, and it's amazing how much extra speed he carries through the corners and also how early he puts the power down out of them. Whilst I can't catch up 20+ years of biking experience, I'm sure I can help my progress a bit in other ways.


You'd be surprised, you definitely learn to increase corner speed and optimise the time you are feeding on the throttle.

I Honestly believe it's the best money I have spent for the bike.

I can almost guarantee that after a couple sessions you will be able to hold your own. (Maybe even be quicker if he hasn't had training at all)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Hetzer
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:49 - 21 Jun 2013    Post subject: Re: money well spent Reply with quote

Sako wrote:
Decided to book a 4 hour session with an advanced bike instructor the other day to see if I could get much out of it...

Well I have to say I have noticed a big difference in my corner speeds and positioning, also ability to read the roads is better too, at the end of the 4 hours we were returning back the way we came and it was at a far more 'spirited' pace, but felt much more relaxed/smooth.

Best 'mod' I've ever bought for the bike!

(Nice to have an instructor that is happy to move along 'briskly', and I previously thought I was a reasonably quick rider)


I could have provided you with everything the instructor did with five seconds and one line:

"Your tyres have way more grip than you think they do."

Wink
____________________
"There's the horizon! Ride hard, ride fast and cut down all who stand in your way!"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Matt B
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:29 - 21 Jun 2013    Post subject: Re: money well spent Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
"Your tyres have way more grip than you think they do." Wink


+1 this is a pearl of wisdom.

Sako wrote:

(Nice to have an instructor that is happy to move along 'briskly', and I previously thought I was a reasonably quick rider)


We are very different when we are not following a wobbly student at their nervous 125 pace. Even following more confident DAS students feels laborious.

Contrary to popular belief, most instructors can ride at a fair pace when they want to. Normally we just don't get the chance.
____________________
stinkwheel: He had an animated .gif of a cat performing fellatio. It's not socially acceptable. It can have real life adverse effects on other people.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sako
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:30 - 21 Jun 2013    Post subject: Re: money well spent Reply with quote

[quote="Hetzer"]
Sako wrote:


I could have provided you with everything the instructor did with five seconds and one line:

"Your tyres have way more grip than you think they do."

Wink


I've always had confidence in my tyres, and was previously a reasonably quick road rider, but just wanted to see if I could get a bit more smooth and methodical about unknown roads to be able to carry a quick pace, as previously I was only fast on roads I knew.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

yaigi
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Jul 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:36 - 21 Jun 2013    Post subject: Re: money well spent Reply with quote

Sako wrote:
Decided to book a 4 hour session with an advanced bike instructor the other day to see if I could get much out of it...

Well I have to say I have noticed a big difference in my corner speeds and positioning, also ability to read the roads is better too, at the end of the 4 hours we were returning back the way we came and it was at a far more 'spirited' pace, but felt much more relaxed/smooth.

Best 'mod' I've ever bought for the bike!

(Nice to have an instructor that is happy to move along 'briskly', and I previously thought I was a reasonably quick rider)


I think I might do this when I get back on the bike post-November time (baby due). I think it will help me get back any confidence lost in the time I've not ridden, especially as I will be getting back on right in the middle of winter. Glad to hear it did you good, it's nice to hear people admit they weren't perfect Thumbs Up
____________________
What would you do in life, if you knew you could not fail?
Currently own - Fazer 600, 2000, Red. (But no riding as baby on board atm)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Hetzer
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:38 - 21 Jun 2013    Post subject: Re: money well spent Reply with quote

Sako wrote:


I've always had confidence in my tyres, and was previously a reasonably quick road rider, but just wanted to see if I could get a bit more smooth and methodical about unknown roads to be able to carry a quick pace, as previously I was only fast on roads I knew.


Well, ok then...on unknown roads upon which you wish to be faster and smoother:

"Stop giving a shit what might be around the corner."
____________________
"There's the horizon! Ride hard, ride fast and cut down all who stand in your way!"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sako
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:46 - 21 Jun 2013    Post subject: Re: money well spent Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
Sako wrote:


I've always had confidence in my tyres, and was previously a reasonably quick road rider, but just wanted to see if I could get a bit more smooth and methodical about unknown roads to be able to carry a quick pace, as previously I was only fast on roads I knew.


Well, ok then...on unknown roads upon which you wish to be faster and smoother:

"Stop giving a shit what might be around the corner."


Laughing noted.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sako
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:48 - 21 Jun 2013    Post subject: Re: money well spent Reply with quote

yaigi wrote:


I think I might do this when I get back on the bike post-November time (baby due). I think it will help me get back any confidence lost in the time I've not ridden, especially as I will be getting back on right in the middle of winter. Glad to hear it did you good, it's nice to hear people admit they weren't perfect Thumbs Up


Worth doing really, even the instructor was of the mind that everyone including himself has room for improvement, and he can REALLY shift!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 109 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.61 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 73.13 Kb