Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Magnetic Map Holders

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

james1988
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 May 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:40 - 23 Jun 2013    Post subject: Magnetic Map Holders Reply with quote

Afternoon,

I'm trying to find a map holder that is magnetic that will sit on the bike tank. I've found these two so far:

Made by Louis for £10
https://www.getgeared.co.uk/
LOUIS_International_Magnet_Map_Pouch?sc=28&category=204

and

Made by Bagalux for £28
https://www.mandp.co.uk/productinfo/561540/Luggage/Soft-Luggage/Baglux/Luggage-Accessories

Is it really worth the extra £18?
Does anybody have experience with either?
Are there any others out there that I should consider, if so could you please point me to them.

I prefer using maps to a Sat Nav and as the one I'm using on my phone (Nav Free) can sometimes be way off, I'd prefer to use a map on my short bimble around Cornwall.

All help will be extremely appreciated!

Thanks,
James
____________________
Honda XL1000VA '07
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Nemo
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 30 Apr 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:46 - 23 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, I would just get a tank bag that usually has a map holder on top, since they can be picked up for a fair price as well.

More useful than map holder alone, unless there is reasoning as to why you just want a map holder.
____________________
Previously owned: Kawasaki KH125, Suzuki GP125, Suzuki GX 125, Honda CB125 TDC '83, Honda ntv 600, Kawasaki ER5, Kawasaki ZZR600, Aprilia RSV 1000 Mille
Now own: Ducati 848 evo
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

james1988
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 May 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:48 - 23 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nemo wrote:
In my opinion, I would just get a tank bag that usually has a map holder on top, since they can be picked up for a fair price as well.

More useful than map holder alone, unless there is reasoning as to why you just want a map holder.


I can't stand tank bags. Laughing

I have a tank bag that I bought from Lidl a few years back but it thoroughly annoys me which is why I just wanted the map pouch. I should probably have put that in the first post. Thumbs Up

James
____________________
Honda XL1000VA '07
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:51 - 23 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Lidl tank bag has a clear top to it, but it zips off the base leaving behind another clear pocket to use as a map holder - you might find one cheap on eBay.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Products/productsresults/Parts-accessories/2010/May/may1810-review-lidl-tank-bag/

[edit] This one :-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/B-SQUARE-tank-bag-32-litre-/251294102709?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item3a824bb4b5
____________________
Chances are quite high you are not in my Monkeysphere, and I don't care about you. Don't take it personally.
Currently : Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5


Last edited by The Shaggy D.A. on 13:53 - 23 Jun 2013; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Nemo
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 30 Apr 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:53 - 23 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use teh moon and wind direction.

Or sign posts.

To be honest I have to stair at a map for ages if I don't have the SatNav, so pretty dangerous for me whilst riding.
It wouldn't annoy me too much to pull over and pull a map out of my pocket, so I'm not really much help.
____________________
Previously owned: Kawasaki KH125, Suzuki GP125, Suzuki GX 125, Honda CB125 TDC '83, Honda ntv 600, Kawasaki ER5, Kawasaki ZZR600, Aprilia RSV 1000 Mille
Now own: Ducati 848 evo
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

james1988
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 May 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:56 - 23 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
My Lidl tank bag has a clear top to it, but it zips off the base leaving behind another clear pocket to use as a map holder - you might find one cheap on eBay.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Products/productsresults/Parts-accessories/2010/May/may1810-review-lidl-tank-bag/

[edit] This one :-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/B-SQUARE-tank-bag-32-litre-/251294102709?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item3a824bb4b5


I never even thought of checking the base of the tank bag. I'm away at the moment so will phone home and check that it's the same with mine.

Thanks for pointing that out!

James
____________________
Honda XL1000VA '07
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:57 - 23 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

james1988 wrote:
I have a tank bag that I bought from Lidl a few years back but it thoroughly annoys me which is why I just wanted the map pouch. I should probably have put that in the first post. Thumbs Up

James


Check that the bottom doesn't zip off - you might already have one Smile

I usually just tape directions to the tank - if I need to have multiple pages, I tape an A4 plastic pocket there instead.
____________________
Chances are quite high you are not in my Monkeysphere, and I don't care about you. Don't take it personally.
Currently : Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

james1988
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 May 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:35 - 23 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
Check that the bottom doesn't zip off - you might already have one Smile

I usually just tape directions to the tank - if I need to have multiple pages, I tape an A4 plastic pocket there instead.


Just phoned home, mine doesn't have one. My stepfathers Oxford jobby does so it looks like I'll be borrowing that unless I'm convinced otherwise. Laughing

James
____________________
Honda XL1000VA '07
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Derivative
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Aug 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:36 - 23 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 16 quid tank bag had both a map pouch on top, and on the base after you zipped it off. PX-speed branded, got it from eBay.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 100 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.7 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 62.91 Kb