Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

am i going as fast as my speedo says i am...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

nick.h
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:51 - 20 Nov 2004    Post subject: am i going as fast as my speedo says i am... Reply with quote

...probably not

any one own a 50 or 100cc bike? how far does you speedo show? (mph)

on my bike (50cc) the clock only goes up to 60

i was wondering if it is worth investing in one of those speedo things (£25), they work in the same way as the ones on push bikes. i was wondering if anyone knows how accurate there reading is? as i dont believe that i am pushing 65...

Nick
[Italjet MM5A] ll [Rieju RS1 Evolution] ll [Suzuki GS500e] ll [Suzuki GSX600F] ll [Honda CG125] ll [Pug Elyseo 125] ll [Yamaha YZF750R] ll [Yamaha Thunderace] ll [Yamaha R6] ll [Triumph 955i] ll [Hayabusa RZK3] ll [Suzuki RGV250] ll
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

PsychoHippy
Jammy Git

PostPosted: 13:53 - 20 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't trust the speedo on your bike, they are notoriously inacurate and can easily be showing 10% or more over what you are actually doing - especially as you get towards the top of the clocks range Laughing

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:14 - 20 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legally the speedo is allowed to over read by up to 10%, they cannot underread. Can't say it worth getting a push bike one I can't actually see any point in getting one as configuring it 100% correctly would be a right pain. Your speedo might be saying 30mph but in actual fact you're doing no less than 27mph, no actual need to know that you're going 27mph instead of thinking you're doing 30mph IMO.

And the fact your speedo has the number 60 printed on it really doesn't make a blind bit of difference to the accurace of thing.

mrchips
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:39 - 20 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know someone with one of those race rep 50s. The clocks broke so he bought a pushbike speedo, which was reading 75. They are just as/if not more inaccurate.

pipnet11
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:23 - 20 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mountain bike speedos are quite accurate up to 35-ish but go a bit off over that as mountain bikes rarely go over that speed. So I would say it would be pointless.
I love the girls that do, I hate the girls that dont, I hate the girls who say they will and then they say they wont, but the girl I like most of all and I think youll say Im right, is the girl who says she never has but looks as though she might. - Max Bygraves
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 19:54 - 20 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my Dad to follow me today in the car because I believed my speedo has mucked up, I was travelling at 30MPH and my dad said I was actually going 25MPH.... Confused
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 20:10 - 20 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed a Pushbike speedo on my speedfight because the Pin on the speedo goes right round past 50 and back to the starting pin (zero)...

Now the mountain bike speedo is excelent (being clocked by dad in his merc) and its accurate right to 55. Now my scooter goes over 55, But the magnet on the wheel cant be detected when I get to 58+. so it just goes to about 20mph and then comes up (error). But as soon as I drop below 60ish, It catches up again and is great!.
The higher speed you go, the more of an over-reading you get from your origional speedo, they are only accurate to about 30mph ish because thats all a 50cc is meant to be doing...

Ben..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Finglonga
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:02 - 20 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you are on a flat road you can use a GPS to measure your speed and it will be accurate. Flat, as in if its too steep it will be under-reading, as it is only measuring from point A to point B.

divuk83
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:00 - 21 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigma speedos are fairly accurate up to something daft like 180mph. Its just the cheapo ones that can't do much over 30.

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 15:06 - 21 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea, I only paid $10 for mine in wallmart Razz
But I dont really need to do 60mph and know that im actually doing 60mph. The only Speeds I need to know im doing is 30mph, and 40mph. cos thats the only speed traps around medway.
Yeh, ok theres the odd speedtrap in maidstone for 50mph, but I hardly go down their!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ts50x0
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:26 - 21 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i had a scoot(speedfight 2) and they are notoriusly inacurate. my speedo said 55mph, my sisters car said 44mph, they are sooo far out. al my mates speedfights say threy are doing 55 60 and when i followed today on my cg it said they were doing no more than 45 anywhere.
dont trust any speedo to be perfect and 50cc and sports 125's tend to be a lot owrse.

paulodd
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:08 - 21 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a bike speedo on my CG as most of the needle on my clock snapped off somehow and until i get a new set of clocks, i bodged a cheap £10 bike speedo from Halfords. Seems to be ok, lines up with whats left of the needle. Its blatantly not 100% accurate, but it will do for the time being.

Paul
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

RS1Banger
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 08:15 - 22 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

the speedo on my rieju reads under by about 30%, ie 55 at 75 and 63 at 85 but thats cos i fitted an rxs100 speedo spring in it after the rieju one rusted
i had to go out on it with my hand GPS to calibrate it
my lasses corsa td speedo (electric not cable) is 99% right
my suzuki samurai (extra large knobblie tyres) reads 5% under

Gingernut
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 03:42 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, car speedos are calibrated to 30mph and should therefore be most accurate at this speed, the faster you go the less accurate they become. As for m-bike speedos I'd assume the same calibration point is used. Push bike speedos will probably be significantly less accurate beyond about 30-35mph unless your prepared to spend a fair bit on them, the other catch with push bike speedos is that they might not be subject to the same legislation as motorised vehicle speedos and could actually under-read... leaving your number plate on a speed camera film roll Mad

simon1221
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:43 - 03 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

digital speedo on the dna 50 Very Happy

doesnt mean that it is any more accurate though Brick Wall

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 16:41 - 03 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Digital speedos...How boring. Confused

There is nothing like watching the pin move up the speed ranges during a powerband. Cool
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

fazed
Korn is my hero!

PostPosted: 17:45 - 04 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally like digital speedos . Thumbs Up

nick.h
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:55 - 04 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would prefer a digi speedo, then i could get a gear indicator..

Nick
[Italjet MM5A] ll [Rieju RS1 Evolution] ll [Suzuki GS500e] ll [Suzuki GSX600F] ll [Honda CG125] ll [Pug Elyseo 125] ll [Yamaha YZF750R] ll [Yamaha Thunderace] ll [Yamaha R6] ll [Triumph 955i] ll [Hayabusa RZK3] ll [Suzuki RGV250] ll

hawkeye
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:26 - 05 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Sigma digital speedo. More useful than the stock dial as its in MPH. They reckon its accurate to 180mph, but obviously that depends how accurately you measure the circumference of the wheel.

For my final year project at uni, I'm designing a replacement dashboard (LCD Graphic Motec-style jobbie). The speedo sensor is accurate to about 20,000mph give or take a bit Laughing It can also be programmed for gearing ratios and mph/kmh.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 187 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1