New Bike Q's

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:37 - 02 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

freestyler_onli wrote:
Stop the presses! I thought Bennetts was good-but then i got a phone call from a company- can't remember who (good start) and their quote beat bennets by £300 Shocked

So i had this one. Went to bank- shifted whole years payment by cash into their account with the promise of stuff delivered first class.

Laughing Lets hope you aint scammed.

How much did they want?

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:40 - 02 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchaggis wrote:
I'm struggling to understand how people can say that Bennets were cheapest for them. I've not done a single online quote for me, my mum or my brother on any bike in which they came out anywhere near cheap, let alone cheapest.

You are right, their online quotes were stupidly high. But I then got a call, you know, the usual chase up call. I had told them I had found cheaper by about £100 With Carole Nash or someone, he asked for an hour and he'd get back to me.

Hey presto, £280, TPFT with 6 points. I was well chuffed!

Oh, my landlord paid £89 for 1 year with Bennets.

44y/o, max no claims, pleasure only and garaged. Honda VTR Firestorm... Now thats a quote! Laughing

freestyler_onli
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:38 - 03 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much was mine- lets just say 2/3rds of the bike cost Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:07 - 03 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

freestyler_onli wrote:
How much was mine- lets just say 2/3rds of the bike cost Crying or Very sad

Shocked So just under the £2000 mark?

Now thats expensive, I knew it wouldnt be cheap but thats just taking the mick! I was moaning when I couldnt get it cheaper than £600 TPO. Laughing

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:12 - 03 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

2k? Could have got it cheaper IMO, I paid at 18 £850 TPFT on a TL1000R, probably add about 500 for fully comp.

freestyler_onli
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:47 - 03 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually-the whole quote was 2210.95 - a lot i know but that was honestly the best-due to wear it'll be kept/area lived in etc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:40 - 03 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

freestyler_onli wrote:
Actually-the whole quote was 2210.95 - a lot i know but that was honestly the best-due to wear it'll be kept/area lived in etc

A lot is also down to the bike and your age.

I cant believe that quote though, its more than my RS cost alone!

Might of been wise to consider insurance before you bought the bike.

freestyler_onli
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:49 - 03 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well either way-it was going to cost loads Confused

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 00:28 - 04 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well let's face it, an inexperienced rider will drop a brand new aprilia rs125, and a whole new set of fairings will probably be the wrong side of £800.

That does seem VERY expensive though, I pay £233 TPO for a knackered MZ 125, which although a world apart, I would expect fully comp to be under a grand for sure.

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:29 - 04 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

£2210 is over twice what it cost me on an NSR125. Laughing

freestyler_onli
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:53 - 04 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well.................never mind............ Cool It's done now so nowt i can do!

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:02 - 04 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be seriously considering calling your insurance company and asking them how much of a refund you can get by cancelling the policy. Yes they'll take a bit for admin fee but if you continue shopping around you should be able to make a big saving even after paying the admin fee.

Get Bike Trader, call every single insurance company in the back, and then call back around the cheapest few until none will go any lower. I went with CIA Insurance, it could be worth calling them and asking if they can beat your quote of £1189 from [insert insurance company name here]. Or get Danny to do this all for you.

Yes getting your money back you'll have to pay an admin fee but overall you can save lots of money.

Stu_666
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:50 - 04 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid about £320ish on TPFT insurance for the RS with Devitt. That's with me being 23 and never ridden a bike before. As Ste says you really just have to phone around. Its a pitiful shame to waste a Saturday morning but it probably saved me a few hundred quid which I could waste on other stuff.

As for warming the bike up, I was speaking to the bloke where I bought the bike from yesterday and he recommended 40 before setting off. I've also found with mine that you have to slightly twist the accelerator before pressing the start button or it can be a pain to start up. I'd also definately get it de-restricted as its a wee bit sluggish on acceleration.

freestyler_onli
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:38 - 05 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Righto! Ta you lot- i'll keep you posted as to what happens.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 187 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2