Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Woo hoo almost there + stupid question

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

DanceLikeAMon...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:32 - 05 Dec 2004    Post subject: Woo hoo almost there + stupid question Reply with quote

Good news, my mother has said there's no hurry to pay her back the grand she lent me for my unwanted car (it's a long boring story, but rest assured it is selling on eBay as I type), so as soon as it is sold I can finally get my very first bike! Laughing

Went to West Gate Road (that's in Newcastle to those that don't know) and got myself a helmet from Custom Lids - very friendly guy there who spent about 45 minutes with me trying them on and giving advice on what to look for.

So now I've got my helmet, jacket, gloves, boots, chains and locks, just got to trawl the usual places for a cheap SR or CG. Very Happy

Now for the stupid question: I know that most cars from the mid 80's onwards used unleaded petrol as standard but is that true for bikes as well?

Barker-CBR 600
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 12:09 - 05 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never seen a bike that dont Confused

I am presuming that most if not all do, or at least it is blaringly obvious when they dont (i.e its rare so you will be told)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DanceLikeAMon...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:31 - 05 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I thought, but for some reason it was nagging at the back of my mind. Cheers for that!

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:17 - 05 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look in exchange/mart section of the forum, theres a superb condition sr125 for sale from dodsi there.

worth a look Smile

DanceLikeAMon...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:44 - 05 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I saw that one from the link on one of his posts, looks nice, but it is a little bit more than I want to pay. I was looking for something more around the £700.

Azmodeus
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:56 - 05 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe, you know, I ever even considered the possibility of my bike not being Unleaded. Mr. Green

Im sure there are more than a few storys out there of people putting Diesel into their bike by accident Thumbs Up

pipnet11
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 00:10 - 06 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old high performance bikes used to need leaded petrol due to them having very high compression ratios. My dads 1972 BMW needed leaded petrol or it 'pinked' (hard to describe it, happens as the fuel ignites itself before the spark). A couple of 3mm compression plates later and its fine.

If your looking at 125s they will take unleaded, almost all bikes will. Even those from the 1950s with lower compression ratios will happily take unleaded fuel.
I love the girls that do, I hate the girls that dont, I hate the girls who say they will and then they say they wont, but the girl I like most of all and I think youll say Im right, is the girl who says she never has but looks as though she might. - Max Bygraves
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mrchips
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:40 - 06 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

My MT50 ran on Four Star (LRP) but as Unleaded was about 3p cheaper, it thankfully worked well on it too.

yambabe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:38 - 06 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azmodeus wrote:
Im sure there are more than a few storys out there of people putting Diesel into their bike by accident Thumbs Up

Never done this myself, but as I live with someone who works in a scooter shop I can testify that yes, it does happen a lot!

I always thought you would have to be pretty dumb to do something like this, but then have to admit that only a month or so ago I started to put 4-star (leaded) in my diesel car! Luckily my tank was empty and I only put about 3-4 litres in when I realised, so after filling it to the brim with diesel it has run fine, but I never would have believed this was such an easy mistake to make!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 187 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1