Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Buying bike "awaiting" logbook

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Gouldylocks
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 27 Nov 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:43 - 21 Jul 2013    Post subject: Buying bike "awaiting" logbook Reply with quote

So I've been in touch with a private seller looking into buying an older 125 (1988), really fancy the bike the only issue is he says he is still waiting for the logbook to come back in his name, but it has a long MOT and needs taxing, has anyone got any advice for me regarding viewing/buying? The bike for the price is a bargain but obviously not if the police pull me my first time riding it,
Are there any more questions I should be asking him? I've got the registration number but don't know wether to be wary
Many thanks in advance!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:59 - 21 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taxing without a V5 is damn hard.

Riding without tax is "illegal"

I would wait till the V5 arrives or find another. 1988 bikes are old now surprisingly... Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Marmalade
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:43 - 21 Jul 2013    Post subject: Re: Buying bike "awaiting" logbook Reply with quote

Gouldylocks wrote:
So I've been in touch with a private seller looking into buying an older 125 (1988), really fancy the bike the only issue is he says he is still waiting for the logbook to come back in his name, but it has a long MOT and needs taxing, has anyone got any advice for me regarding viewing/buying? The bike for the price is a bargain but obviously not if the police pull me my first time riding it,
Are there any more questions I should be asking him? I've got the registration number but don't know wether to be wary
Many thanks in advance!


The question in my head would be, why is he selling it within weeks of buying it?

Did he buy it, found out it's a lemon and wants rid asap?

Personally i'd walk before going any further, things like that really put me off and I'd rather not lose money.

If he has the V5/2 (the green slip off the right side of the log book) and it is still blank you'l be able to tax it using this and want that bit of paper as minimum when buying, you can apply for a log book for free with this slip if he fails to send you the full logbook.
____________________
Nobby the Bastard: How yo tell the difference between the actual japanese and her just screaming because she's had live fish stuck up her arse? [url=https://www.nicks-shop.co.uk/bcf-goodies-15-c.aspGet BCF stickers and things here[/url] Reflective helmet stickers - Legal requirement in france - Clicky
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JP7
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:46 - 21 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be asking him how long he's had it, why he is selling it (especially so soon before he's received the V5, and if he's had it for a while, why he hasn't got one).

Ask him the direct question "Is there anything wrong with the bike?" because if he lies to you when you've asked him directly, then he leaves himself open to a claim if the bike isn't as described.

I appreciate it's an older bike but it's well worth doing a HPI check on it, make sure you cross-reference the result with the VIN on the bike.

It rings alarm bells for me as well, to be honest. I wouldn't be happy buying it without the logbook unless he has a really good explanation.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Gouldylocks
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 27 Nov 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:20 - 21 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've gathered he "does bikes up" pretty regularly, I've now learned he had the 'green slip' which I believe would allow me to tax it, and that he sent off for the logbook two weeks ago and is waiting for it to arrive. If I do the text check and everything's okay would it be okay to buy with the green slip?
Cheers for replies so far!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

-Matt-
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Apr 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:37 - 21 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better to wait really. If its just been done up to resell as the reason for short ownership id still be apprehensive - done up to an acceptable quick profit standard - or good buyable bike standard? And just how bad was it before he got it? Lot of potential problems id say
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

lihp
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:29 - 22 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't have the slip, it will take between 4 to 6 weeks to get the V5c and you can't tax it in that time, plus it will cost £25 to get it.

Don't buy without the V5c
____________________
covent.gardens: lihp is my most favourite member ever
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:09 - 22 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I've bought the vehicle and not had the V5 through for a while, I just order the tax online and dont really care if the disc itself goes to the previous owner. Sometimes they send it on, sometimes they dont. I've never been stopped for failing to display a valid tax disc.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Efes123
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Sep 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:59 - 22 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

The initial two things you're worried about (or should be), is a) has it been stolen, and b) has it been written off? You can get the answer to both of those with an HPI check.

Once you're happy neither of the above apply, then I'd want to know what work has been done on the bike. If he's "Done it up" then he should have a pile of receipts, or at least a work list of what's been done.

instigator wrote:
When I've bought the vehicle and not had the V5 through for a while, I just order the tax online and dont really care if the disc itself goes to the previous owner. Sometimes they send it on, sometimes they dont. I've never been stopped for failing to display a valid tax disc.


I'm curious, how did you get around not having the document reference number?
____________________
Honda Goldwing GL 1000 Current love
Honda VT500 ED - SOLD
Projects Suzuki GS125 Done, then stolen - Kawasaki GPX750R SOLD - Honda VF750S SOLD
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:45 - 22 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gouldylocks wrote:
From what I've gathered he "does bikes up" pretty regularly, I've now learned he had the 'green slip' which I believe would allow me to tax it, and that he sent off for the logbook two weeks ago and is waiting for it to arrive. If I do the text check and everything's okay would it be okay to buy with the green slip?
Cheers for replies so far!


To send off for the logbook, he would need to have sent that green slip. Which would mean he is no longer in possession of it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Marmalade
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:03 - 22 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also ask what warranty it has.

Despite what he calls himself, if he buys bikes to 'do up' and resell, he is a dealer.
____________________
Nobby the Bastard: How yo tell the difference between the actual japanese and her just screaming because she's had live fish stuck up her arse? [url=https://www.nicks-shop.co.uk/bcf-goodies-15-c.aspGet BCF stickers and things here[/url] Reflective helmet stickers - Legal requirement in france - Clicky
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:48 - 22 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Efes123 wrote:

I'm curious, how did you get around not having the document reference number?


Aaah well, I always take a photo of the V5c once signed by both parties before I let them send it off. The last 2 vehicles I bought, I have had to apply for the V5c because the 'original owner failed to send it on'. I reckon the DVLA are binning anything that isnt sent by recorded delivery in the hope that the new owner will apply for the V5, thus giving them the green light to apply a fine to the previous owner.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Efes123
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Sep 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:37 - 22 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

instigator wrote:
Aaah well, I always take a photo of the V5c once signed by both parties before I let them send it off.


Sneaky, I'm impressed and will try to remember to do this next time I buy a bike Thumbs Up
____________________
Honda Goldwing GL 1000 Current love
Honda VT500 ED - SOLD
Projects Suzuki GS125 Done, then stolen - Kawasaki GPX750R SOLD - Honda VF750S SOLD
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 77 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 0.83 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 80.55 Kb