Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Grip size for 99 GPZ500s

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

richrock
Nova Slayer



Joined: 18 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:21 - 25 Jul 2013    Post subject: Grip size for 99 GPZ500s Reply with quote

I've searched and searched t'internets and can't find the blooming size. I'm looking to replace them as they're a bit worn (in other words, a lot) and looking for something a bit more fance than the OEM replacements.

But I'll be buggered if I know what size they are. Or am I being a complete thicko and it's a standard size item?
____________________
I has a motorbikes: Kawasaki GPZ500s (1999)- theory passed 12/06/12, test passed 10/07/12
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bezzer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:36 - 25 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

They'll be standard 7/8ths"/22mm bars, nearly all bikes are apart from the 1" bars you get on Harleys and the like or aftermarket fat bars.
____________________
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not quite so sure.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:42 - 25 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a few exceptions, of which this is not one, motorcyle handlebars are 7/8" in diameter.

Most grips are also stretchy so there is a little fudging room.

You want ones with open ends to accommodate your bar-end weights.

I'd suggest these "supergrip" ones. It's what I have on my bike.

Fit them using hairspray, not glue.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:27 - 25 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's worth noting that when I buy grips, they come in 2 different lengths. Both my Kawasaki ZX9R and ZZR600 take 125mm long grips.

I'd strongly recommend renthal medium grips like these. I consider them to be the best grips available, although they do wear down to the point where I need to replace them yearly.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Renthal-Medium-Compound-Road-Race-MX-Grips-125mm-Pair-Mid-Grey-/140971561564?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item20d28f525c

As someone who has also had a grip come off in their hands, I would recommend that you use some sort of adhesive, lockwire them at both ends and have bar ends on too.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 72 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.05 Sec - Server Load: 0.58 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 40.29 Kb