Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Protecting tail paint from soft luggage.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Nope.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Feb 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:31 - 13 Aug 2013    Post subject: Protecting tail paint from soft luggage. Reply with quote

Hi all,

Taking a trip next weekend on the ZX7R and as such I bought some soft luggage for the back.

I cheaped out and got some of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141023069570?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Mainly because after this trip I'm not too bothered how long they last. It's not something I think I'm going use often.

However, now the luggage has arrived I see that the back of the packs has no soft material, just rough straps and standard baggage material.

I'm concerned that this might scratch the paint on the tail, especially on a relatively long ride where they might move about a fair bit. Does anybody have any tips/advice for dealing with this? I could just wrap the tail in a towel and then cover it with cling film but this seems ridiculous.

Am I worrying about it too much? If not, does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks!
____________________
Former: Derbi GP1 50, Sachs XTC 125, Suzuki GSXR 400 GK73A, Kawasaki ZX7R, Suzuki DR250, Yamaha RD350
Current: 2011 Yamaha XT660Z Ténéré, 2003 Yamaha YZR-R1 5PW (In Build), 2009 Kawasaki ZZR1400
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

-Matt-
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Apr 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:38 - 13 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put an antislip mat on the seat under the pack to act like a protective cover maybe Question But might not sit secure enough even with the packs weight on it Confused
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Aff
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 May 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:39 - 13 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=121156890474
____________________
Current Bikes:Honda 929RR Fireblade, Honda CD200 Benly (Project), Stomp Z2 140
Electric Bike Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:52 - 13 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheapo electrical tape - who gives a fuck what it looks like so long as it protects the paintwork. Last time, I used parcel tape. Left some residue once I removed it but only took 5 minutes to get rid of that.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Snodvan
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 22 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:51 - 13 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aff wrote:


Err - it is a lot cheaper in the Pound Shop

Same stuff I bet

Snod
____________________
04 (UK Reg) BMW F650cs, but really 02 first Reg in Holland
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Aff
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 May 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:57 - 13 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snodvan wrote:
Aff wrote:


Err - it is a lot cheaper in the Pound Shop

Same stuff I bet

Snod


Hmm, that's the sellers updated listing for the one I bought, it was £3 for a 1.5m roll when I got it. Seems he's put his prices up.

Anyway, gives the OP and idea.
____________________
Current Bikes:Honda 929RR Fireblade, Honda CD200 Benly (Project), Stomp Z2 140
Electric Bike Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:29 - 14 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get to home bargain, BnM, wilkinson's .. anywhere cheap and you can buy a roll of that anti slip mat. I got some for about a quid. I cut a piece to sit under my tank bag and one to chuck over the rear seat when I have to use the soft luggage.

Works a treat. Come to think of it, mine's quite worn now, I might have to spend another quid to get more ... DAMN
____________________
I'm Sam; Northern, Ginger, Lover
Did have: '95 ZZR600 '83 CG125 '97 ZZR1100 '15 Hypermotard 821 SP Do Have: '10 ZX10R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer



Joined: 17 Jan 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:57 - 14 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made the mistake of not putting something between my soft panniers and the paintwork.
Result : dulled paintwork were the moisture/grit got between them Sad
Now I use masking tape, works a treat Thumbs Up
____________________
I am the sum total of my own existence, what went before makes me who I am now!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer



Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:46 - 14 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a job for gaffa tape.. Thumbs Up
____________________
My Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Nope.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Feb 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:32 - 14 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I found some foam that goes under carpet tiles in the garage. It's a thin plastic backed foam (Plastic side down on the tail). I've cut a piece to fit around the tail and I'll tape it into place with some electrical tape.

I'll pop some pictures up tonight with the results. I'd like to get some of that rubber mesh for next time, but I don't have time to go to the appropriate shop to purchase some!

Thanks for the ideas guys!
____________________
Former: Derbi GP1 50, Sachs XTC 125, Suzuki GSXR 400 GK73A, Kawasaki ZX7R, Suzuki DR250, Yamaha RD350
Current: 2011 Yamaha XT660Z Ténéré, 2003 Yamaha YZR-R1 5PW (In Build), 2009 Kawasaki ZZR1400
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

garth
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:10 - 14 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got those very same panniers, I've overloaded them three years in a row now over about 8,000 miles abroad, honestly I've jammed them as wide open as possible and filled them full of beer etc - They're still in one bit.

Don't bother with the covers, they let the water in then keep it in.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 59 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 4.63 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 71.1 Kb