Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


recommend me a bike cover and chain

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

clancy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:40 - 13 Aug 2013    Post subject: recommend me a bike cover and chain Reply with quote

would like some recommendations on a good bike cover please guys.

all my bikes have always been garaged but in a few weeks time I will be moving to a house with only private parking so need a good cover. the bike will be taken to my parents and garaged for the worst part of the year, so this will only be in use February/march to October ish time.

as well as that I could do with a ground anchor and chain as well.

the parking that I have at my new house is a tarmac parking space at the rear of the house, it has a garage door but there is no garage, so its essentially just a gate to the access road behind the house. (if that makes sense)

the bikes is alarmed, but would ideally like some extra security for when its parked out the back

any advice or recommendations would be great. not really sure on budget in all honesty so just chuck some suggestions out
____________________
KLX 300r
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rigga
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Nov 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:51 - 13 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oxford stormex or rainex cover.

Almax chain with squires lock you can also get it with a ground anchor as a combo.

I have this ground anchor though..

https://www.oxford-shop.co.uk/item3190.htm
____________________
Current bike: Honda CBR 1100xx
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Tot
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:02 - 13 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seconded with Oxford Rainex. Now that my bike lives in the garage, the rainex is redundant so I use it as a boot liner for my mountain bike!

It had a soft fabric liner for the paintwork, and the front and rear of the cover had eyelets for your chain, and a lock pocket too. It did the job for a good 2 years!
____________________
The Tot 2019 Z1000SX - 2007 R1
Never argue with autism
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Joncrete Cungle
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:27 - 13 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chain either something from Almax or Pragmasis, Pragmasis also do some hefty ground anchors. Oxford stormex cover.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

illuminateTHE...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Jul 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:14 - 14 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y484/A_yam/IMG_02931_zpsf9ba7344.jpg

This is my security atm, I haven't yet installed the ground anchor as I've found another alternative, a strong metal pipe.

Anit pinch pin
Defiant ground anchor
Almax IV 2.5m (I link my Almax III to the IV chain at home to create one long beastly chain, I also use my Almax III to secure my bike away from home)
Squire Padlock (s)

This is how I secure my bike with the use of my anti pinch pin.
https://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y484/A_yam/images_zpsd26a55f1.jpg
(Image is not mine, just an example.)
____________________
Theory: PASSED Module 1: PASSED Module 2: PASSED 12/2012!!!

yzf r125 [SOLD] sv650 [CURRENT]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

illuminateTHE...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Jul 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:17 - 14 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rigga wrote:
Oxford stormex or rainex cover.

Almax chain with squires lock you can also get it with a ground anchor as a combo.

I have this ground anchor though..

https://www.oxford-shop.co.uk/item3190.htm


I'm not sure about oxford security. My use of oxford gear stops at chains, ground anchors and disc locks, I try stay away from their mass produced cheese.
____________________
Theory: PASSED Module 1: PASSED Module 2: PASSED 12/2012!!!

yzf r125 [SOLD] sv650 [CURRENT]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:34 - 14 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almax chain... worth it's weight in gold. It'll last virtually forever, maybe you'll need to replace the lock after a few decades.

A good chain is a great investment, paying hundreds could save you thousands. Worth it.


As for a rain cover, I've got an Oxford Rainex, went for that over the Stormex because it's better value for money and about as good. Perfectly waterproof and breathable, so never got any condensation under it. Use it as a dust cover now cos the bike is garaged.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

j.silvs
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Dec 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:20 - 14 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

illuminateTHEmind wrote:
https://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y484/A_yam/IMG_02931_zpsf9ba7344.jpg

This is my security atm, I haven't yet installed the ground anchor as I've found another alternative, a strong metal pipe.

Anit pinch pin
Defiant ground anchor
Almax IV 2.5m (I link my Almax III to the IV chain at home to create one long beastly chain, I also use my Almax III to secure my bike away from home)
Squire Padlock (s)

This is how I secure my bike with the use of my anti pinch pin.
https://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y484/A_yam/images_zpsd26a55f1.jpg
(Image is not mine, just an example.)


You actually carry this thing around with you?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

illuminateTHE...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Jul 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:09 - 14 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

My second chain 'Almax III' is light and thats the only chain I will carry around with me. When i get home i just connect my Almax III chain with my Almax IV chain to create a longer chain.

.
____________________
Theory: PASSED Module 1: PASSED Module 2: PASSED 12/2012!!!

yzf r125 [SOLD] sv650 [CURRENT]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

-Matt-
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Apr 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:22 - 14 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not needed a cover outdoors to date luckily so can't recommend there, but for security, get the best almax chain you can afford combined with a ground anchor i'd say.

Presuming you have permission to modify the space and its not a rental [you might still be okay some land lords will approve it as long as its done right, as its a plus point when they come to rent it out in the future].

This sort of ground anchor is best as theres nothing to physically attack [besides the chain itself].

Google 'Y ground anchor' theres tons of different ones available.
https://i.ebayimg.com/t/Underground-Stainless-steel-Y-ground-anchor-/00/s/MTA0MFgxMTc2/z/FNMAAOxyepRRsjRr/$(KGrHqZ,!r!FGUR+BKS(BRsjRrS3Yg~~60_35.JPG
https://www.saferrider.org/wpcms/wp-content/uploads/Yanchor-bike.png
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

clancy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:41 - 14 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok guys thankyou for the advice, ill order a oxford cover tonight

going to go down and assess the situation as to if I need the ground anchor or just a chain

thanks for the info Thumbs Up Karma
____________________
KLX 300r
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:15 - 14 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on where you leave the bike parked (when not at home) I don't even take a chain with me. just two alarmed disc locks and stick them under the seat, one for front, one for back.

My car is a tool to get me from A to B, and occasionally a toy for fun. The bike is purely a toy, I usually go out for a 1-2 hour ride then back, normally the only time it is parked where I'm not stood right next to it is paying at the petrol station for a few minutes.

If you're leaving it for somewhere secure, or for not very long, where you or others are around, might be worth just taking something lighter & smaller, ie a disc lock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
_Iain_ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Fowlersrs
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:05 - 14 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oxford rainex for sure, just about to buy another as mines starting to perish after 3 years.

I use oxford hardcore chain and lock with ground anchor but then I live in a quiet rural village and not a city with thieving cunts so u takes ur gambles!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

clancy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:44 - 15 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, just to clarify the chain etc would be purely for when the bikes parked at home I won't be taking it anywhere

Only places I park the bike when I go out are secure Abd the bikes alarmed anyway
____________________
KLX 300r
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave70
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:45 - 15 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Thumbs Up for the Oxford Stormex cover. I've gone two winters with mine and it's still in top condition and does a great job at keeping my bike bone dry, even through horizontal Manx rain. Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ShepShep
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 29 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 04:49 - 15 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a motorbike cover from Halfrauds. In all respects it's doing the job very well, stirdy, doesn't get blown off by wind, has elastic to grip the wheels and is made form good material. That being said I'm sure you can find something similar for cheaper.

Can't comment on other covers as this is the one I'v always used.

Cheerio
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 53 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.99 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 96.74 Kb