Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Mod 2, using my own 750cc bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

robodelfy
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 14 Aug 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:23 - 14 Aug 2013    Post subject: Mod 2, using my own 750cc bike Reply with quote

Hi Guys

I have my mod 2 bike test on Tuesday. I've been waiting for a month since my mod 1, so am quite out of practice.

If I fail my test, then the school said it would cost £100 to do it again, due to hiring their bikes, instructor to take me there, insurance etc!

I have just bought a 750 honda shadow. Which has enough horsepower to be used for my full license.

Can I do the full Mod 2 test on my own bike, I have insuarance, tax and MOT. BUt obviously I dont have my license yet so Im not legally allowed to ride it, so does the insurance mean anything?

Any info would be great, as Im desperate to pass and get riding, but have had enough of this training school, and spending so much money Smile

Cheers
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

J.M.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:29 - 14 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your licensed to ride it whilst under supervision of a trainer or examiner. Get a friend to ride the bike to the test station, then you take it for your test.

They don't check insurance. They only ask you to sign a little box that says you have some.
____________________
2004 R1 & 2018 XSR900
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

robodelfy
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 14 Aug 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:32 - 14 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, wow thats great. Yeah well I just got the cheapest insurance from a comparison site, and it didnt ask if I had my full license, which seemed a bit odd. But yeah Im insured.

I also have a box trailer, so I can take the bike there in that if neccesary, or get a friend to ride

So this is definately ok, as I dont want to book and then get there iunless Im 100 percent! Anyone else have any experience of this?

Cheers Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jan 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:46 - 14 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did both parts on my own bike,

was shadowed there by an instructor, signed to say I had insurance, job's a good un.

I was on a 125 tho,

You'll need L plates on for your test,
You might get asked how the bike got there,
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

robodelfy
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 14 Aug 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:47 - 14 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but you were allowed to ride your 125 because you had your cbt yeah?

Mines a 750 so until I pass the test Im not allowed to ride it, so its a bit of a catch 22!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pbt
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 11 May 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:30 - 14 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

What bike did you do your mod 1 on? The 750 shadow is only 45 bhp, so its only suitable for the A2 licence
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

radicalrabit
Crazy Courier



Joined: 27 Dec 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:32 - 14 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK....

you can get your instructor to follow you to the test centre, on your bike and do your test on your own bike then you are paying for his time not bike hire ?

If you are in radio contact with your instructor on the way you are ok.

One of my ex's bought herself a BMW F800ST to do her learning rides and test on .
____________________
VF1000 F2F, BLACKBIRD with carbs, 2nd VF1000F2F just need somewhere to go now..
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

robodelfy
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 14 Aug 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:32 - 14 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my mod1 on the training schools bike. Not sure what it is, but its a 650, and its what Im using for mod2 on tuesday

Im a bit confused about all the different types of test.

Whats the full motorcycle test called then, and whats the A2?

I cant wait to have passed and never have to deal with all this crap again!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jan 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:47 - 14 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

A1 is restricted to 15bhp on a 125,

after two years / getting older you can do your A2,

A2 you are restricted to 46bhp on a bike that did not originally make more than twice that prior to restriction, so 90bhp, feel free to restrict it, 95bhp, no, too much powar!!!

after two years / getting old you can do your A

if you are already older / old you start where you want
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

andym
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Nov 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:05 - 15 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I done my mod 2 (twice), on my divvy 600, even bought a 2 way radio system from the shops so a friend could ride along as my instructor (then took the radios back for a refund).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:05 - 15 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

robodelfy wrote:
Yeah well I just got the cheapest insurance from a comparison site, and it didnt ask if I had my full license

I've never, ever seen any site that didn't ask about license. Thinking

That said, it's vanishingly unlikely to become an issue. You'll be on the MID, your Cert won't show your license type, and it's completely legal to ride any bike on a provisionaL while on test. There have been a few folk here who have sat and passed on their own bikes.

Jordan is right that you're only asked to tick a box about insurance, but I'd take your certificate along anyway. I'd expect DSA Derek to take a closer look at the bike for roadworthiness compared to a training school bike, but there's absolutely no reason why you should be refused.

You will need to display L plates on the bike, front and rear. You do not have to wear hi-vis (unlike while under DAS instruction) but the examiner might not know that, so I'd wear it anyway.

Best of luck.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

robodelfy
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 14 Aug 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:06 - 15 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys

Ok thanks for the info. I thought this was going to wrok, but as someone said, my Honda Shadow 750 is only 45 BHP, which isnt enough to do my A license test

really annoying! But I guess I'll just have to pass on tuesday first time!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Acemastr
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:35 - 15 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

How in the world do you get 45bhp from 750cc?
____________________
2017 KTM 350 XC-F - 2014 Yamaha R6 - 2005 Yamaha YZ125
2016 Toyota Tacoma Limited
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:37 - 15 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acemastr wrote:
How in the world do you get 45bhp from 750cc?


I have no idea how someone could live with the higher tax bracket, the fact its as fast as a 250 and looks gayer than the Backstreet Boys.. Rolling Eyes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:11 - 15 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw, I'd assumed you meant the classic 1980s one, not the 2004 onwards. Sad

Thing is, is DSA Derek going to look it up?

Well, worst case you'd get an A2 license which would allow you to ride the Shadow anyway. And you could always go back later, flash your mod 1 A pass and do a mod 2 full A on a MOAR POWAH bike.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

radicalrabit
Crazy Courier



Joined: 27 Dec 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:56 - 15 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I looked it up and the 750 is 44 hp there is a sportier one thats 60 hp though wonder if the instructor would know which is which ...
____________________
VF1000 F2F, BLACKBIRD with carbs, 2nd VF1000F2F just need somewhere to go now..
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TQ
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 17 Dec 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:11 - 15 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I done my mod 2 (twice), on my divvy 600, even bought a 2 way radio system from the shops so a friend could ride along as my instructor (then took the radios back for a refund).


I'm fairly sure it has to be a qualified instructor not just someone with a license as is the case with a car.
____________________
First Bike :Gilera DNA 50 | Second: Imported 1989 NSR125
Third: 1998 Yamaha XJ600N | Currently: 1999 Yamaha FZS600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

robodelfy
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 14 Aug 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:36 - 15 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys

Yeah well I want to get a license to ride anything, and never want to have to go through all this stuff again, as I hate the training and the tests, instructors etc!

So I guess I only have one choice, to pass first time on tuesday!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:14 - 15 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

TQ wrote:
Quote:
I done my mod 2 (twice), on my divvy 600, even bought a 2 way radio system from the shops so a friend could ride along as my instructor (then took the radios back for a refund).

I'm fairly sure it has to be a qualified instructor not just someone with a license as is the case with a car.

A qualified instructor carrying his training certificate, but Shhh!

Smash it in on Tuesday, it's just a nice bike ride.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

andym
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Nov 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:40 - 15 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

TQ wrote:
I'm fairly sure it has to be a qualified instructor not just someone with a license as is the case with a car.


Examiner didn't ask him if he was qualified or if he had his documents to prove it.... I wasn't complaining. £120(ish) for 2-3 hours lessons and to get me there and back (on my own bike) the day of the test.... or £20 beer tokens for someone with almost 30 years riding experience Thinking

Good luck to the OP on the day of his test anyway.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

robodelfy
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 14 Aug 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:32 - 15 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers mate, just want to ride my goddamn bike! Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 52 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 0.63 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 107.35 Kb