|
|
| Author |
Message |
| sabian92 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 sabian92 World Chat Champion
Joined: 21 Oct 2012 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 15:40 - 13 Sep 2013 Post subject: Insurance Fraud? |
 |
|
Hey,
I did a bad thing apparently, according to the phone monkey at MCE I've just had a pleasant chat with (!).
I applied for my provisional in 2009 and passed my car entitlement in March 2010 (not that it matters). Currently phoning insurers for quotes and told them I got my provisional in 2009 (which I did), and passed my CBT in August this year. This set him off on a "You can't have had your provisional that long, you only passed last month therefore I am terminating this call on the grounds of you attempting to commit insurance fraud, goodbye" and that was that.
Surely, a provisional is a provisional for a car *and* a bike, and it doesn't matter if you pass your CBT on a different date, the original date is still valid?
Am I on some sort of insurance shit-list for fraud now?
inb4 MCE are cunts  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MC |
This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
|
 MC Banned
Joined: 01 Apr 2013 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 15:49 - 13 Sep 2013 Post subject: |
 |
|
Gotta say I found it a little vague when getting insurance quotes, so put down from the date of my CBT. Some companies ask how long you've been riding for, I assume this has more to do with when you did your CBT (unless they ask for continuous riding)?
Think this is why eBike refuse to give me online quotes now, I always used to put the date I got my provisional (as I hadn't done my CBT), then when getting insurance for my bike put down the CBT date & they refused to give me a quote (and have done ever since). ____________________ Yamaha MT-03 '08 (crashed)
Honda XR-125L '04 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| sabian92 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 sabian92 World Chat Champion
Joined: 21 Oct 2012 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| lihp |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 lihp World Chat Champion
Joined: 22 Sep 2010 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 15:55 - 13 Sep 2013 Post subject: Re: Insurance Fraud? |
 |
|
| sabian92 wrote: | Hey,
I did a bad thing apparently, according to the phone monkey at MCE I've just had a pleasant chat with (!).
I applied for my provisional in 2009 and passed my car entitlement in March 2010 (not that it matters). Currently phoning insurers for quotes and told them I got my provisional in 2009 (which I did), and passed my CBT in August this year. This set him off on a "You can't have had your provisional that long, you only passed last month therefore I am terminating this call on the grounds of you attempting to commit insurance fraud, goodbye" and that was that.
Surely, a provisional is a provisional for a car *and* a bike, and it doesn't matter if you pass your CBT on a different date, the original date is still valid?
Am I on some sort of insurance shit-list for fraud now?
inb4 MCE are cunts  |
CBT validates provisional entitlement. ____________________ covent.gardens: lihp is my most favourite member ever |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| c_dug |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 c_dug Super Spammer

Joined: 04 Sep 2007 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 15:56 - 13 Sep 2013 Post subject: |
 |
|
The one I'm sure gets lots of people is "How long have you had your full licence for?" A seemingly simple question, I passed my test on 27th May 2007. But I was restricted to 33bhp for two years so according to the insurance I have only had my full licence since 2009.
I unknowingly lied to my insurers for 3 years before I was pulled up on it  ____________________ I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| sabian92 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 sabian92 World Chat Champion
Joined: 21 Oct 2012 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 15:57 - 13 Sep 2013 Post subject: Re: Insurance Fraud? |
 |
|
| PhilDawson8270 wrote: | | sabian92 wrote: | Hey,
I did a bad thing apparently, according to the phone monkey at MCE I've just had a pleasant chat with (!).
I applied for my provisional in 2009 and passed my car entitlement in March 2010 (not that it matters). Currently phoning insurers for quotes and told them I got my provisional in 2009 (which I did), and passed my CBT in August this year. This set him off on a "You can't have had your provisional that long, you only passed last month therefore I am terminating this call on the grounds of you attempting to commit insurance fraud, goodbye" and that was that.
Surely, a provisional is a provisional for a car *and* a bike, and it doesn't matter if you pass your CBT on a different date, the original date is still valid?
Am I on some sort of insurance shit-list for fraud now?
inb4 MCE are cunts  |
CBT validates provisional entitlement. |
So the time before the CBT has no bearing on how long I've held a provisional for? |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| lihp |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 lihp World Chat Champion
Joined: 22 Sep 2010 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| sabian92 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 sabian92 World Chat Champion
Joined: 21 Oct 2012 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| J4mes |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 J4mes World Chat Champion
Joined: 18 Mar 2011 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| sabian92 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 sabian92 World Chat Champion
Joined: 21 Oct 2012 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rogerborg |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rogerborg nimbA

Joined: 26 Oct 2010 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| sabian92 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 sabian92 World Chat Champion
Joined: 21 Oct 2012 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 20:53 - 13 Sep 2013 Post subject: Re: Insurance Fraud? |
 |
|
| Rogerborg wrote: | | sabian92 wrote: | told them I got my provisional in 2009 |
What exactly were you asked?
Worth firing an email into [email protected], head it COMPLAINT.
Tell them that they're the one trying to form a contract of adhesion, and it's up to them to be very specific about what information they're asking for. |
I did a quote online that asked when I did my CBT (5th of August this year) then how long I'd had my provisional. I put in 4 years (which as far as I'm concerned, is correct - I have had a provisional motorcycle licence since 2009, but I've had a car entitlement since 2010. The question is vague and if you take it literally, then I answered it correctly), and it came to £420 or so, TPFT. I rang them up, did an over the phone quote and he asked me when I passed my CBT (Not when I got my provisional, that wasn't mentioned at all) and the quote came up 200 quid more. I mentioned about the previous quote and gave him the reference number from whatever comparison site I used and he looked through and said "You've put you've had a provisional for 4 years when you've only had a CBT for a month, which is not possible. MCE doesn't accept fraudulent policy information and I'm terminating this call, goodbye", before I even had chance to explain.
Called back, two different people said it was from the original date of the provisional NOT from the CBT pass date so I'm going with that because it knocks £200 off my quote
I will e-mail them though. I didn't really want to use them as they get a bad rap but they're the cheapest by miles (next quote is over £600, and for a 125 they can bugger off).
Last edited by sabian92 on 20:55 - 13 Sep 2013; edited 1 time in total |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Nobby the Bastard |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Nobby the Bastard Harley Gaydar

Joined: 16 Aug 2013 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Andy_Pagin |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Andy_Pagin World Chat Champion

Joined: 08 Nov 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 21:01 - 13 Sep 2013 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Nobby the chihuahua wrote: | Technically, if you got your provisional bike license long enough ago, and then passed your car test, you can still be riding on a provisional without taking CBT withoput takeing any 1 year breaks.
Mind you, you'd need to be in your 40's.... |
Don't think so, I've had a provisional motorcycle licence since 1983, but still had to do cbt before I could start riding three or so years ago. ____________________ They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa, hey-hey,
the men in white coats are coming to take me away.
Yamaha Vity -> YBR125 -> FZS600 Fazer -> FZ1-S Fazer |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Nobby the Bastard |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Nobby the Bastard Harley Gaydar

Joined: 16 Aug 2013 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Nobby the Bastard |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Nobby the Bastard Harley Gaydar

Joined: 16 Aug 2013 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| sabian92 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 sabian92 World Chat Champion
Joined: 21 Oct 2012 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 21:22 - 13 Sep 2013 Post subject: |
 |
|
Sent them this. Not expecting a reply but in the future I'm using the date I got my provisional, not the date I passed my CBT.
| Quote: | Dear Sir/Madam,
This afternoon (13/09/13) I called your call centre to obtain a quote for a motorcycle I'm looking at purchasing. I used your website to obtain a quote of £422 - I entered my details correctly, including having a provisional licence for 4 years and passing my CBT entitlement on the 5th of August 2013.
I went through the motions of getting a second quote to see if a human being could better it. I was asked when I passed my CBT, to which I answered the above date, but was not asked when I had received my provisional licence. This ended up being £200 more expensive, and let the customer service adviser (Sam, I believe his name was) that I had obtained a much cheaper quote. I relayed the reference number to which he looked through the information and told me with a curt and rude tone that I had put the wrong length of time for having a provisional licence and therefore was terminating the call on the grounds of me attempting to fraudulently obtain motorcycle insurance.
I called back and spoke to 2 other customer service agents (with substantially better manners, might I add) who confirmed I was in fact correct and the date I passed my CBT was irrelevant as they expire every two years, so the date of receiving my provisional is the one that counts.
I am not in the business of fraud and would prefer not to be treated as such - I was not given time to explain myself before being hung up on (and having worked in a call centre for a large retail firm, this is rule number one - even if you're having abuse hurled at you, you do NOT hang up on a customer, potential or not). I also got the distinct impression that it was implied I was attempting to commit a criminal offence.
In any case, if you are in the business of making money from something that is legally required, at least make it clear WHAT you require rather than leaving up to an uninformed individual to take a stab at it and hope it doesn't end up in their insurance being revoked if they need to claim. Insurance companies charge obscene amounts of money for the privilege so surely it isn't that difficult to design a website that has a decent enough help function, or word questions in such a way that they don't require an English Language degree to decode?
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ninja_butler |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ninja_butler World Chat Champion
Joined: 19 Oct 2011 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| sabian92 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 sabian92 World Chat Champion
Joined: 21 Oct 2012 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Polarbear |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Polarbear Super Spammer

Joined: 24 Feb 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 22:28 - 13 Sep 2013 Post subject: |
 |
|
I got screwed/shouted at/ threatened when I went to get car insurance.
They asked when I got a full licence - I got a full licence (FOR MY BIKE) in 1977. I got one for my car in 2007 (yes I never drove a car before that )
I got a quote, accepted it etc. A few months later -
You have commited an offence, you haven't had a full licence etc. Yes I have - not a car - you didn't ask that, you asked for a full licence.
etc. etc.
I actually won, except for some reason my car premiums tripled the next year  ____________________ Victory Cross Country American tractor. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| lihp |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 lihp World Chat Champion
Joined: 22 Sep 2010 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| sabian92 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 sabian92 World Chat Champion
Joined: 21 Oct 2012 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| tom_m |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 tom_m Scooby Slapper
Joined: 18 Jul 2012 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 03:00 - 14 Sep 2013 Post subject: |
 |
|
Good old MCE, i wont be re-insuring with them at renewal time in march. Their advisors seem to have a habit of telling porkies. I insured my ybr with them through confused.com which stated that on my TPO policy i have cover for riding other bikes, which i questioned over the phone to be told yes i do have it included in my policy, (weird for TPO cover i thought).
Ybr went off the road for a few days (new chain/sprockets, tyres, valve clearances), so used my old mans gsxr 750 srad to get to and from work for the week.
Checked policy documents when they arrived and no riders policy, telephoned them to be told that its impossible to have been given it on a TPO policy. By this time im tied into 12 months policy with them, complaint emailed but no reply as of yet (6 months later).
TLDR: Mce - about as useful as a chocolate ashtray. ____________________ Current: 2005 Kawasaki Er-5 C5P
Past: 2012 Yamaha Ybr 125, 2004 Yamaha Neos 50, 1994 Suzuki Gn 125, 2005 Aprilia Sportcity 125, 1988 Yamaha Tzr 125
Theory: Passed... Mod 1: Passed 22/08/12 Mod 2: Passed 22/10/12 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 13 years, 28 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|