Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Google Chrome Bing homepage.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:51 - 24 Sep 2013    Post subject: Google Chrome Bing homepage. Reply with quote

Hi All,

For some reason when I open a new tab in chrome it automatically opens bing as the search engine and pops the cursor into the bing search bar, it doesn't show bing in the address bar at the top and if I click on the bar it will search from google.co.uk as I have set it to.

I've tried finding where in the settings it is getting Bing from but I can't see it anywhere.

What is the solution?
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:53 - 24 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like this:

https://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee81/paddy2007dug/bingsearch_zps2d1f2a54.png
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:56 - 24 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like this:

https://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee81/paddy2007dug/bingsearch_zps2d1f2a54.png
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Aff
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 May 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:02 - 24 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

This happened to me with AVG when I was being lazy and clicking through the install.

It changes a line of code in the Preference file.

Goto Users --> Your User Folder --> AppData --> Local --> Google --> Chrome --> Default

Make a backup just in case.

There should be a file call preferences, open it.

There will be a couple of lines that look like this:

Code:
"chrome_url_overrides": {
                  "newtab": "config/skin/new-tab.html"
               },


Delete them, save and restart chrome. Should be fixed.


Alternatively you could rename the default folder to DefaultOld or something then open Chrome, this will put all preferences back to default settings, you can then copy the bookmarks and stuff from the "DefaultOld" file to the new "Default" file.
____________________
Current Bikes:Honda 929RR Fireblade, Honda CD200 Benly (Project), Stomp Z2 140
Electric Bike Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:04 - 24 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smacks of desperation on the part of microsoft if they're doing driveby malware to get people to use their search engine.

I'd probably check your extensions and see if one of them is doing it.

Or has it reset your homepage?
https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95314?hl=en-GB
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:08 - 24 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Aff, there is no AppData folder?
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Aff
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 May 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:09 - 24 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
Hi Aff, there is no AppData folder?


It's probably hidden.
____________________
Current Bikes:Honda 929RR Fireblade, Honda CD200 Benly (Project), Stomp Z2 140
Electric Bike Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:11 - 24 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Smacks of desperation on the part of microsoft if they're doing driveby malware to get people to use their search engine.

I'd probably check your extensions and see if one of them is doing it.

Or has it reset your homepage?
https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95314?hl=en-GB


It's not in any of my browser settings, I've had a really good look through everything and I can see no mention at all of Bing anywhere.
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:17 - 24 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I have this:

Quote:
},
"chrome_url_overrides": {
"bookmarks": [ "chrome-extension://eemcgdkfndhakfknompkggombfjjjeno/main.html" ]



Guessing that is the bit you mean?
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Aff
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 May 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:25 - 24 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be different for everyone.

That looks like you have an chrome extension enabled.

Where does that extension link take you? Do you have a Bing extension on?
____________________
Current Bikes:Honda 929RR Fireblade, Honda CD200 Benly (Project), Stomp Z2 140
Electric Bike Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:29 - 24 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, the only extension I have running is Adblock, I also have Google Docs installed but not enabled.

There is no mention of Bing anywhere in the settings or bookmarks or extensions.
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:31 - 24 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I follow that extension link it opens my bookmarks manager, but I have no bookmarks so nothing that should open Bing.
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Aff
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 May 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:34 - 24 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have no bookmarks or anything, then try doing the second thing I suggested.

Should put chrome back to it's default settings.
____________________
Current Bikes:Honda 929RR Fireblade, Honda CD200 Benly (Project), Stomp Z2 140
Electric Bike Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:38 - 24 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Ok, I did that, it has reset everything as expected, however, it still opens bloody Bing!
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Aff
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 May 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:51 - 24 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

I see you have uTorrent, when you install that it puts an extension on chrome which adds a bing search. I would double check all extensions.

It will probably also be set in your chrome startup pages, called search.conduit or something.
____________________
Current Bikes:Honda 929RR Fireblade, Honda CD200 Benly (Project), Stomp Z2 140
Electric Bike Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:07 - 24 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it not be quicker to just uninstall chrome then do a new clean install.

Could've done it in the time I've typed this.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:19 - 24 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sod it, even reinstalling Chrome didn't get rid of it, I've removed Chrome and am back on Opera.
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

J.M.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:35 - 24 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you change your omnibox search provider? A new feature of chrome is that a search box is presented on your new tab page. This will be that of your omnibox search provider I believe.

Reinstalling chrome would do nothing if you have a Google account linked to it, because all of your extensions and settings are saved and automatically configured when you sign in on a fresh install.

https://i.imgur.com/RMbl5ny.png

https://i.imgur.com/xxnodu4.png
____________________
2004 R1 & 2018 XSR900
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:40 - 24 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, the only option was google (uk), I think I actually deleted all of the other options to make sure.

I do have a google account but it was not linked up to my browser.
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

prawny1
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:56 - 25 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds more like a malware to me, along the lines of delta toolbar that hijacks your browser home page and wont let you change back.

That pic looks nothing like the bing homepage either, maybe it does look different on chrome but why would they make it look just like googles own homepage?
____________________
hellkat wrote:

Some people are only alive cos its against the law to kill them.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Seb
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:01 - 26 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

prawny1 wrote:
This sounds more like a malware to me, along the lines of delta toolbar that hijacks your browser home page and wont let you change back.

That pic looks nothing like the bing homepage either, maybe it does look different on chrome but why would they make it look just like googles own homepage?


This.

That's not Bing, it's Conduit search.
____________________
2010 Triumph 1050 Sprint ST
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:33 - 26 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no sign anywhere of conduit? No sign of malware, no sign of extra extensions, nothing in the address bar to suggest it is redirecting?
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

el_oso
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:13 - 26 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing conduit is somewhere in your appdata/roaming folder. bring up a search window (F3) and search everything including hidden and system files and folders.
____________________
Duke 390
Previous: '05 XR125L | '96 XJ600S Diversion |'05 Suzuki GSXR1000 | '05 Honda CBR125-R | '97 YZF 600R Thundercat | '11 Honda CBR250
Car: Jeep Wrangler 4.0L
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:21 - 28 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found the bastard thing. Sorted now.
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

J.M.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:49 - 28 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was it?

I'm sure you're not the only one with it, it may be useful for future Googlers Smile
____________________
2004 R1 & 2018 XSR900
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 16 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 0.76 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 131.02 Kb